Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Matt Purke, LHP  (Read 40068 times)

Offline RD

Re: Follow the Prospects: Matt Purke, LHP
« Reply #225: August 16, 2013, 01:25:07 AM »
Last 4 starts: 22.1ip, 18h, 21/4 k/bb, 2.53 ERA, and a whip under 1. Pretty impressive. Let's hope he can continue this trend the rest of the year. Give him another off season to continue to get stronger and build on this year, and we may have something next year, even if his velocity isn't back up to 94-95.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #226: August 20, 2013, 11:38:08 PM »
Another nice start for Purke as Potomac wins its 10th in a row.

6IP, 5HA   2R   1ER   0BB   3K

Promote the entire team!

Offline imref

« Reply #227: August 25, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »
Couldn't get out of the sixth, left with a man on second no out and a run in. Line was 5 ip. 3 hits 2 ER.

update 5 walks, 1 k.

Kind of an odd delivery, all arm/shoulder, little leg kick.  Not nearly as fluid as Cole.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #228: August 31, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »
5 IP 5 H 0 R 0 BB 5 K tonight for Purke.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #229: October 23, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »
Today in the AFL:  5 IP  1 hit  1 bb 0 runs 3 ks.  Has yet to give up a run in the AFL.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #230: October 23, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Adam Wells ‏@adamwells1985 1h
Positive news early for Nationals LHP Matt Purke: 92-93, touched 94 in 1st. Showed a decent CH.

Adam Wells ‏@adamwells1985 1h
Purke with an impressive 2nd inning. 91-93, couple solid curveballs at 79 and a solid 84-85 changeup.

Adam Wells ‏@adamwells1985 49m
Been impressed with Purke through 3. Not entirely sure about the CB, but still 91-92 with deceptive changeup.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #231: October 23, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
A little worried about the velocity dip inning to inning. Hey, this could be our left-handed reliever solution.

Online blue911

« Reply #232: October 23, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
A little worried about the velocity dip inning to inning. Hey, this could be our left-handed reliever solution.

He's been sitting at 90-92 so the first couple of innings are a bonus.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #233: October 24, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
How significant a dip is 92-93 to 91-92 really?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #234: October 24, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
How significant a dip is 92-93 to 91-92 really?

After three innings, it can be. If the dip continues, you're looking at 89 or so in the 6th or later.

Online blue911

« Reply #235: November 06, 2013, 07:08:43 AM »
Proper Name: Matthew Purke
Born: July, 17 1990
Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 205
Bats: L. Throws: L

Overview: “He’s got the stuff to be a mid-rotation MLB starter. His walk-to-strikeout numbers are good in his two minor league seasons. If there are concerns about him, or reasons why he wouldn’t be considered a top-of-the-rotation guy just quite yet, it would be (that) he hasn’t missed a lot of bats early on. Guys that don’t walk a lot of hitters are typically going to give up more hits than guys who do, but he still has to get a few more swings-and-misses for me to be a front-line starter. … On the path to be in Double-A or Triple-A next summer and competing for a big league spot in 2015.”

Fastball

Future Grade: 60

“He sat at 92-93 MPH (when I saw him) for five innings. I think he has the ability and delivery to repeat that. His fastball command was solid … he worked both sides of the plate. He did show some average arm-side run. It looked like his ball ran away better when he threw to the arm side. Not as much run and deception as you might think from a left-hander but did show some signs of fastball life.”

Breaking Ball

Future Grade: 50

“His breaking ball is more of a ‘slurve.’ It had some 11 to 5 break and was 78-80 mph in velocity. It had some depth even from a little bit of a lower arm slot. It looked like he had confidence in it and average command of it, but it’s really his third pitch. It was effective against lefthanded hitters.”

Changeup

“This is where the similarity with Hamels comes into play. He’s got a plus changeup, a swing-and-miss changeup. His arm speed and deception with this pitch are good. He has a good feel for the speed difference between his change and fastball. Hitters at all levels with have trouble with this pitch. He has the confidence and command to throw it on any count.”

Therron Brockish, Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/scouts-view-washington-nationals-lhp-matt-purke/

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #236: November 06, 2013, 07:49:07 AM »
Proper Name: Matthew Purke
Born: July, 17 1990
Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 205
Bats: L. Throws: L

Overview: “He’s got the stuff to be a mid-rotation MLB starter. His walk-to-strikeout numbers are good in his two minor league seasons. If there are concerns about him, or reasons why he wouldn’t be considered a top-of-the-rotation guy just quite yet, it would be (that) he hasn’t missed a lot of bats early on. Guys that don’t walk a lot of hitters are typically going to give up more hits than guys who do, but he still has to get a few more swings-and-misses for me to be a front-line starter. … On the path to be in Double-A or Triple-A next summer and competing for a big league spot in 2015.”

Fastball

“He sat at 92-93 MPH (when I saw him) for five innings. I think he has the ability and delivery to repeat that. His fastball command was solid … he worked both sides of the plate. He did show some average arm-side run. It looked like his ball ran away better when he threw to the arm side. Not as much run and deception as you might think from a left-hander but did show some signs of fastball life.”

Breaking Ball

Future Grade: 50

“His breaking ball is more of a ‘slurve.’ It had some 11 to 5 break and was 78-80 mph in velocity. It had some depth even from a little bit of a lower arm slot. It looked like he had confidence in it and average command of it, but it’s really his third pitch. It was effective against lefthanded hitters.”

Changeup

“This is where the similarity with Hamels comes into play. He’s got a plus changeup, a swing-and-miss changeup. His arm speed and deception with this pitch are good. He has a good feel for the speed difference between his change and fastball. Hitters at all levels with have trouble with this pitch. He has the confidence and command to throw it on any count.”

Therron Brockish, Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/scouts-view-washington-nationals-lhp-matt-purke/

Excellent.

Sounds like the Purke investment may pay off.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #237: April 07, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
Excellent.

Sounds like the Purke investment may pay off.

Don't think so. He was blown out yesterday .

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #238: April 07, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
Don't think so. He was blown out yesterday .
One start in Double A and he's done?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #239: April 08, 2014, 05:18:53 AM »
One start in Double A and he's done?

From the comments I have read here and print and where he is ranked I would not count on him as a rotation starter. It maybe a mindfact but I think the gamble on him will not pay-off.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #240: April 08, 2014, 07:30:18 AM »
What about him in the bullpen?

Online blue911

« Reply #241: April 08, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »
From the comments I have read here and print and where he is ranked I would not count on him as a rotation starter. It maybe a mindfact but I think the gamble on him will not pay-off.

I think that's a fair statement. I'm not going to write him off just yet but I think this is a make or brake season for him.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #242: April 08, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »
I think that's a fair statement. I'm not going to write him off just yet but I think this is a make or brake season for him.
Now that is extreme.  Make or brake?  Run him over if he does not pan out?  Oh, that would be make or no brake.

Online blue911

« Reply #243: April 08, 2014, 09:27:54 AM »
Now that is extreme.  Make or brake?  Run him over if he does not pan out?  Oh, that would be make or no brake.

:doh:

I'm trying to quit coffee.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #244: April 08, 2014, 09:34:26 AM »
Not really much of a gamble. I don't know why people insist on treating draft bonuses differently than the major league payroll. His total contract is less than Nate McLouth is making this year.

It's less than Scott Hairston made last year and this year combined.

A "gamble" is paying money for those guys to take up 1 spot out of 25 you have at the major league level, and possibly having them cost you major league wins because they're not very good.

There's no gamble in paying $4 million to a guy to suck in the minor leagues and possibly never pan out. Every year, they spend like .4% of their operating budget on Matt Purke, until they don't have to anymore.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #245: April 08, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »
If he made a little more, he'd be a rounding error.

Online blue911

« Reply #246: April 08, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »
Not really much of a gamble. I don't know why people insist on treating draft bonuses differently than the major league payroll. His total contract is less than Nate McLouth is making this year.

It's less than Scott Hairston made last year and this year combined.

A "gamble" is paying money for those guys to take up 1 spot out of 25 you have at the major league level, and possibly having them cost you major league wins because they're not very good.

There's no gamble in paying $4 million to a guy to suck in the minor leagues and possibly never pan out. Every year, they spend like .4% of their operating budget on Matt Purke, until they don't have to anymore.

I think gamble because of his shoulder injury not signing bonus. The Nats have already more than broken even on the 2011 draft in dollars vs WAR. 

Offline imref

« Reply #247: April 08, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
i saw Purke pitch a few times at Potomac, he just wasn't all that impressive.  Doesn't look to be in the greatest of shape, didn't seem to have that fire/confidence on the mound, and wasn't all that effective when I saw him throw.  Hopefully he improves at AA but I wonder how much of his promotion is due to his contract.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #248: April 08, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »
3rd round pick also does not equal gamble. For example, from the 2005 draft (randomly selected) there is Brett Gardner alone who has >5 WAR 10 years into their pro careers.

From the 2000 draft, just 2 players have >5 WAR.

So (1) I'm not sure we've closed the door on Purke - he may still be a starter, he may have value as a RP, and (2) I kind of reject the notion that you can call him a "gamble" unless you're saying his chances of success were less than 1 or 2 out of 30 or whatever it is for any 3rd round pick.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #249: April 08, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
If we had taken him in the 1st round, THAT would definitely have been a gamble. I'd say in the third round it's just an upside pick.