Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)  (Read 114773 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #50: December 09, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »
Anyone here ever see a movie called Cinema Paradiso (also called Nuovo cinema Paradiso)? Someone told me recently that it's amazing. This is also in my Top 5 Must See's.

natsfan1a

« Reply #51: December 09, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
Haven't seen that one, but I gather that there are two versions of it.

On a sillier note, this one is on my want to see list:

http://www.alvinandthechipmunksmovie.com/

arkymark

« Reply #52: December 09, 2007, 12:52:20 PM »
Cinema Paradiso is very good.

Saw Frequency last night and enjoyed it.  What a well told story, and baseball too.

Raises the question -- have anybody read the Jasper Fforde books?  A series where time travel is possible and also the wall between fiction and reality is weak, so people move in and out of books and back and forth in time.  For instance, the plot of the first one is that the villain has kidnapped Jane Eyre and is threatening to kill her, which would ruin the book.  The author then expanded this into a total of four books, each more extravagant than the last. 

natsfan1a

« Reply #53: December 09, 2007, 06:26:24 PM »
Just looked at IMDB and Frequency sounds interesting. How explicit is the violence in it (I don't care for graphic violence in films)?

Haven't read the Fforde books, but did read Jane Eyre.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #54: December 09, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classic books!

natsfan1a

« Reply #55: December 09, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »
Me, too! I think I liked that she was bookish, as I was, and that she was an independent thinker. I always wanted to have a window seat where I could hide behind the curtains and read (still don't though). As a teen, I went through a Gothic romance phase where I read the Brontës and similar authors.

arkymark

« Reply #56: December 10, 2007, 05:56:57 AM »
Frequency violence is explicit in the sense that there are some gunshots accurately represented.  But it's not emphasized.  It's pretty clearly PG-13ish.  More suspenseful than violent.

Jane Eyre was the best book buy I ever made for my daughter.  I think she was in 4th grade.  It was/is her favorite book.  Last time I was in her apartment I think she had 3 copies, including, perhaps, the by now extremely worn original.

natsfan1a

« Reply #57: December 10, 2007, 08:41:54 AM »
Thanks, arkymark. Sounds as though we'd like the film, in that case. Will put it in the Netflix queue.

That's neat about your daughter and Jane Eyre. It's a classic, IMO.

MrMadison

« Reply #58: December 10, 2007, 08:44:43 AM »
Haven't seen that one, but I gather that there are two versions of it.

On a sillier note, this one is on my want to see list:

http://www.alvinandthechipmunksmovie.com/

Camille (and me by proxy) will be seeing this.

natsfan1a

« Reply #59: December 10, 2007, 08:48:30 AM »
I'm trying to talk my hubby into going. The trailers crack me up. Hope Camille enjoys it (hey, what's not to like about singing chipmunks)!

Camille (and me by proxy) will be seeing this.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #60: December 10, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »
I finally got around to seeing "American Gangster." It was fabulous, which I can say with some assurance because my husband did not fall asleep during the movie!  :) Seriously, it's one of the better movies I've seen in a long time--a lot like the "The Godfather" in style.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #61: December 10, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »
I watched "Mr. Brooks" last night.  Very spooky psycho thriller.  Costner was $$$$$

arkymark

« Reply #62: December 13, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »
Speaking of The Third Man, it's playing at AFI Saturday night.  Guess they think that's in keeping with their Christmas spirit theme.

natsfan1a

« Reply #64: December 13, 2007, 01:33:01 PM »
Well, one of the characters *is* named Holly. :)

Speaking of The Third Man, it's playing at AFI Saturday night.  Guess they think that's in keeping with their Christmas spirit theme.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #65: December 13, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
I watched "Mr. Brooks" last night.  Very spooky psycho thriller.  Costner was $$$$$

Costner was great in it. 7/10 from me :). Dane Cook always looked like he was gonna laugh, though. Kinda threw me off.

natsfan1a

« Reply #66: December 15, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »
My hubby and I just saw the chipmunks movie and give it two thumbs up :thumbs: :thumbs: (all the kids in the audience liked it, too :) ).

Offline kimnat

« Reply #67: December 15, 2007, 09:48:49 PM »
That's super to know!  I just did "on demand" w/ FIOS tonight and ordered Christmas Story for Andrew to watch.  It was his first time seeing it and he LOVED it!  It was so heartwarming to hear him genuinely laughing at such a fun movie!

natsfan1a

« Reply #68: December 16, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »
Oh, that's sweet!

My favorite part of the chipmunk movie took place during a scene where the chipmunks had drunk some coffee and run amok. The little girl behind me said, "Chipmunks don't drink coffee, do they, Daddy? I think rats do, though....and maybe reindeers."

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #69: December 16, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »
That's super to know!  I just did "on demand" w/ FIOS tonight and ordered Christmas Story for Andrew to watch.  It was his first time seeing it and he LOVED it!  It was so heartwarming to hear him genuinely laughing at such a fun movie!
So does he want the leg lamp or BB gun for Christmas now?

arkymark

« Reply #70: December 16, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
Everybody know about this?

http://achristmasstoryhouse.com/

natsfan1a

« Reply #71: December 16, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
Yes, it got a lot of airtime when we were visiting Cleveland last year at Thanksgiving. We haven't visited it yet, though.

arkymark

« Reply #72: December 23, 2007, 08:21:55 PM »
Just saw Juno.  It's outstanding.  I wouldn't be surprised if the star wins an Oscar, and perhaps the movie also. Maybe teenagers like this exist only in movies, but it was nice to see them anyway.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #73: December 23, 2007, 10:21:20 PM »
Everybody know about this?

http://achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Yeah, I had heard about something like that.  A whilel ago I heard the Christmas Story House was sold.  The person who bought it wanted to keep it as is and have it shown year round.

-----------------------------

I just saw NATIONAL TREASURE 2 - It was awsome!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #74: December 23, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »
Just saw Juno.  It's outstanding.  I wouldn't be surprised if the star wins an Oscar, and perhaps the movie also. Maybe teenagers like this exist only in movies, but it was nice to see them anyway.

I heard that movie is awesome. Haven't heard one negative comment about it yet. It's rated quite high on IMDb as well.