Author Topic: No "Real" News on P-Nats Stadium. ETA 2014 or worse.  (Read 4139 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
No I mean the state of MD, that's as far as they are with MD- I seriously doubt that balitimore's city government will actually spend the money to procure the site and build a soccer stadium during lean budget times.

Free land is available all over Baltimore.

Lots of "brownfield" toxic sites that could be reused with some modest environmental remediation.  Like, paving it over.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Free land is available all over Baltimore.

Lots of "brownfield" toxic sites that could be reused with some modest environmental remediation.  Like, paving it over.

There was an article in the Post a couple months back that average home values in Baltimore have fallen to $10K.  Hard to believe that is possible.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Good idea!  You'll need a clearance to go to games, but pretty much everyone who goes to P-nats games already has one.  Fireworks might bring in the Navy SEALs, but that will just add to the atmosphere.

Is the courtyard in the pentagon big enough for a diamond?   It has this great parking lot, lots of commuter options, and if DoD is going to take a whack in any budget deal, then it will have some unused space there.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

There was an article in the Post a couple months back that average home values in Baltimore have fallen to $10K.  Hard to believe that is possible.

They need to do what some other cities have done.  Enforce property tax collections.  Foreclose on properties for which taxes aren't paid within a reasonable amount of time, and demolish any blighted ones foreclosed on in this way.  Over time the housing stock shrinks while nuisance properties are eliminated, and the city is positioned to once again grow once the excess stock is removed.

Online HalfSmokes

They need to do what some other cities have done.  Enforce property tax collections.  Foreclose on properties for which taxes aren't paid within a reasonable amount of time, and demolish any blighted ones foreclosed on in this way.  Over time the housing stock shrinks while nuisance properties are eliminated, and the city is positioned to once again grow once the excess stock is removed.

I wonder how well that works when you're dealing with row houses?

If you want ex-urb prices with an urban environment- the commute is doable (the receptionist at my wife's office somehow manages to be cheery afterwards), I'm surprised more people don't do it.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
i wonder if they expanded the visitor club-house during the off-season at the Pfitz.  I seem to recall that doing so was part of the deal with MLB to keep them from pulling the team (they doubled the home club-house at the beginning of the year).

Offline RobDibblesGhost

It doesn't go further than Dulles but they could run shuttles over to the Metro stop or possibly the one before it terminates. I like the idea.

Actually, Phase 2 (which brings the Silver Line to Dulles Airport) will terminate 2 or 3 stops west of Dulles - I think at Ryan Road?  Not sure if Loudoun will be an option though with the Hounds starting up.

Offline Gleason2

Put it in Vienna.

I recall several years back when there was a proposal to put a minor league stadium right next to the Dunn Loring Metro station.  It's difficult to envision how that could possibly have worked, which is probably why it never happened.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
another update:

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/jan/13/parking-garage-delays-potomac-nationals-stadium-de-ar-1607275/

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, Va. --

The announcement naming the site of a possible Potomac Nationals stadium may be delayed due to an issue resulting from the building of a parking garage for commuters and baseball fans.

Prince William County Board of Supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart said Thursday that negotiations have suffered a setback because of issues that still need to be worked out about the garage.

Still to be determined is who will pay for the garage. Stewart said it will take two years to build, but no decision has been made as to the size and how much fans would pay to park there.

Stewart, who would not say where the stadium will be built, said the garage would need to be close to the stadium to make the fans’ walk to the facility shorter.

He did say that he and the team are looking at sites along the Interstate 95 and I-66 corridor.

“I cannot [reveal] the site because that would destroy the deal,” Stewart said. “We would very much like to build more commuter parking spaces, especially parking ramps, parking garages and have structure parking with the use of that same ramp being used for baseball fans.”

Potomac Naionals owner Art Silber is hopeful an announcement about the stadium’s site may come when the team holds its annual Hot Stove Banquet on Jan. 29.

Stewart, however, thinks an announcement may come this spring. He was not too optimistic about one of the sites being the Nationals’ future home.

“There’s a real good possibility this will not work,” Stewart said. “It’s really shaky at this point. We just don’t know.”

Silber said the people involved have been willing to listen to each other’s ideas. But everything must come together for the stadium to become a reality.

“There are a lot of factors in developing a ballpark,” Silber said. “If there are environmental issues, those have to be dealt with -as well as traffic and community issues. It’s a very complex matrix of factors that have to come together for a project to work.

“We have had tremendous cooperation from everybody that has been involved, whether it’s been the county or state or the people who own the land and who are developing it. Everybody wants to see it happen.”

Offline THE PIBBSTER

Come to Winchester ... the perception is that the city wants minor league baseball!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
another update:

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/jan/13/parking-garage-delays-potomac-nationals-stadium-de-ar-1607275/

2 years to build a parking garage? The ones at Nats Park went up in about 3 weeks. Those things were pretty much pre-assembled.

Offline THE PIBBSTER

2 years to build a parking garage? The ones at Nats Park went up in about 3 weeks. Those things were pretty much pre-assembled.

The George Washington autopark in Winchester was pre-assembled.

http://altusprecast.com/project-portfolio/product/dt/winchester-garage