Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40156 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #250: May 15, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »
i am thinking it may be time to revisit Google Buzz and see what has changed, if it has improved any, or if it just went down in a heap in front of the FaceBook monster.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #251: May 15, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »
google just announced it's looking for a new head of social for the company after every foray into social crashed and burned so far.

I think Buzz would be useful for companies who are using google mail/apps/reader to share updates about activities or to tell others about interesting articles found in reader.  I follow about 15 people on buzz (friends from my gmail account), and only one posts anything regularly.  Twitter doesn't have anything to worry about.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #252: May 15, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »
I'm going to try and move a business conference from skype to google wave + gchat. JMad, have you ever integrated video into wave. I want to be able to draw sketches on plots, etc.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #253: May 15, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
PA - no one uses google wave. it was a colossal flop. if it were a success, Google Buzz would not exist.

Google really just does not understand social networking for some reason. they just can't figure it out.

just back the Brinks truck up to Twitter already.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #254: May 15, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
PA - no one uses google wave. it was a colossal flop. if it were a success, Google Buzz would not exist.

Google wave is a good free replacement for telemeeting software. People who want to use it for social purposes are out of luck.

There's a storm brewing, as facebook like circumvents googles link-tracking, and facebook email is on the horizon. I wish people would switch to one of the open source alternatives. And by people, I mean my friends only, so the servers don't get overwhelmed.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #255: May 21, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
You can play Pac Man on Google.com today. Click around inside the box.

Awesome.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #256: May 21, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »

Awesome.

Ha, sweet!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #257: May 21, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »
LOL, there's actually an insert coin button. I didn't see that at first.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #258: May 21, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »
LOL, there's actually an insert coin button. I didn't see that at first.

If you insert two coins, it becomes two-player, with 2p playing as Mrs. Pacman :lol:

W
ASD controls for 2p

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #259: May 21, 2010, 12:28:52 PM »

Awesome.
I went to play and then the phone rang and there wasn't a pause button and I lost...

Offline PC

« Reply #260: May 23, 2010, 01:54:40 AM »
This Pac-Man widget is Google's greatest accomplishment, EVAH!!!

Online imref

« Reply #261: May 23, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
i was in the Apple store in Fair Oaks yesterday, about a 1/3rd of the people in there trying out the various Macs were playing Pacman on Google.com

Offline The Chief

« Reply #262: May 23, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
This Pac-Man widget is Google's greatest accomplishment, EVAH!!!

Don't suppose anyone found a way to save it?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #263: May 23, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
I was hoping it would show up on the logos page but so far no joy.

http://www.google.com/logos/

Offline PC

« Reply #264: May 23, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
Don't suppose anyone found a way to save it?

Nope but I'm sure they're not going to take it away from us completely on Monday!  >:(

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #265: May 23, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »
http://www.damego.com/google-pac-man-download-link

Completely untested, download at your own risk (could be some horrible Trojan or virus.) Game still at www.google.com/pacman

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #266: June 10, 2010, 04:33:48 PM »
After tiring of constant Firefox crashes on my work computer lately, I've decided to give Chrome a try.  So far it's been pretty snappy.  I just hope the RAM usage is low since I've only got 512 MB.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #267: June 14, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
anyone have a google voice invite?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #268: June 15, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
gChat now has a quote of 50 SMS messages. You get 5 more for each response from a phone. If you run out, you have to "recharge" it by texting yourself. Seems like they are stopping harrassment or something. I wonder if you can recharge it with Google voice.

Online imref

« Reply #269: June 22, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »
Google voice is now available to anyone - https://www.google.com/voice

Offline The Chief

« Reply #270: June 30, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/suspicious-login-protection-extended-to-all-google-accounts.ars

If you use any kind of Google account, Google will now alert you if it believes there have been suspicious logins from unusual locations. It's like credit card fraud protection, but for the Internet!

When your credit card gets too much activity from random parts of the world, your bank usually shuts it off, or at least gives you a call to make sure all those charges are legit. Now, Google is implementing a similar strategy across all elements of your Google account: if the company detects what it considers to be suspicious logins for your Gmail, Google Calendar, Blogger, Buzz, or other Google accounts, it will flag your dashboard and let you decide how to proceed.

Google has been doing this for Gmail users for several months already, following the high-profile attack on Google's servers coming out of China. Numerous Gmail users—especially those who were of particular interest to the Chinese government—found that their accounts had been accessed by people overseas. As a result, Google decided it was a good time to start flagging users when their accounts were accessed from geographic locations that did not seem to be normal, and it has apparently been working so well that the company decided to add the feature to all Google accounts.

Great move by Google :clap:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #271: June 30, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/suspicious-login-protection-extended-to-all-google-accounts.ars

Great move by Google :clap:

Actually, it's quite different from the credit card companies. The CC companies do it to save THEIR asses. I don't care if some fool buys a bunch of stuff with my card, it's not my money and I'm not liable. What ends up happening is I will buy a computer or something and the CC company denies it for MY protection. Or decide I'm not really traveling overseas even though I called to let them know.

This is a very nice move in one sense; in another sense Google can tell from your ip patterns if you are traveling overseas or if it is a hacker, which reveals a bit of their Big Brother knowledge. Overall very good, because it is 100% for the users good.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #272: June 30, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »
IP knowledge ≠ Big Brother - Chief can figure out where I'm posting right now if he wants to. I used to be administrator of a few sites, and I would frequently check IPs (although most of the time, it was to see if multiple users shared the same IP. I'd also check location to see if the same person was just posting from the same place in another town, or if it was a shared account).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #273: June 30, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
IP knowledge ≠ Big Brother - Chief can figure out where I'm posting right now if he wants to. I used to be administrator of a few sites, and I would frequently check IPs (although most of the time, it was to see if multiple users shared the same IP. I'd also check location to see if the same person was just posting from the same place in another town, or if it was a shared account).

The scary part is that they have algorithms that automatically detect the irregularities. But they are using them for good here.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #274: July 01, 2010, 08:41:14 AM »
The scary part is that they have algorithms that automatically detect the irregularities. But they are using them for good here.

If you're a tinfoil hat wearer, Google was scary years ago.  I don't really see any cause for getting up in arms about this particular change.  It's not like they didn't have all this information before.

Please note I'm not referring to you PA, just musing in general.