Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52537 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #225: July 30, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
It's a perfectly fine thing.

Goodwin will be quality.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #226: July 30, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »
It's a perfectly fine thing.

Goodwin will be quality.

when your best hitting prospect can't crack the baseball america mid season top 50 and was only 70 on the preseason top 100, that is not a perfectly fine thing

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #227: July 30, 2013, 01:21:54 PM »
Not ever all-star or top tier player was a top 100 prospect. The fact Goodwin is Top 100 is great. He's ahead of the curve.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #228: July 30, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
I'm with Linty on Goodwin. He has the look of a baseball player. He's on schedule and will excel once he makes it to the majors.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #229: July 30, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »
when your best hitting prospect can't crack the baseball america mid season top 50 and was only 70 on the preseason top 100, that is not a perfectly fine thing

But he's 100% in the top 50 hitting prospects! Not every team can have a hitting prospect in the BA top 50. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #230: July 30, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Not ever all-star or top tier player was a top 100 prospect. The fact Goodwin is Top 100 is great. He's ahead of the curb.

Not every all-star was even a prospect, but those rankings are indicative of the current quality of a prospect. Not having any mid season top 50s reflects a depleted farm. Goodwin may be great, but he's not an elite prospect- that he's the best we have is not a good thing

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #231: July 30, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
But he's 100% in the top 50 hitting prospects! Not every team can have a hitting prospect in the BA top 50. 

we didn't have a pitching prospect there either

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-prospect-update-top-50-prospects/

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #232: July 30, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
we didn't have a pitching prospect there either

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/midseason-prospect-update-top-50-prospects/

However, Giolito could realistically be placed anywhere in the top 100.

Goodwin may not be a top 50 prospect right now, but he's the same guy he was last year when he exceeded all expectations. He may not be as elite as other teams' number one prospect, but he's the best we have right now (other than Giolito) and if you think that's bad, you are not valuing for what he is: someone who will be the team's number two prospect behind Giolito going into next season.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #233: July 30, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »
However, Giolito could realistically be placed anywhere in the top 100.

Goodwin may not be a top 50 prospect right now, but he's the same guy he was last year when he exceeded all expectations. He may not be as elite as other teams' number one prospect, but he's the best we have right now (other than Giolito) and if you think that's bad, you are not valuing for what he is: someone who will be the team's number two prospect behind Giolito going into next season.

Exceeding expectations got him number 70 on the top 100. That's great in and of itself, but a better farm system should have better depth- the team graduated one hitter this year and doesn't look like it has any elite talent left except for an 18 year old in rookie ball

Offline sph274

« Reply #234: July 30, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
Exceeding expectations got him number 70 on the top 100. That's great in and of itself, but a better farm system should have better depth- the team graduated one hitter this year and doesn't look like it has any elite talent left except for an 18 year old in rookie ball

yea, i mean, goodwin is at least a year and a half away and besides that who is even close? we don't have a great farm system. hopefully goodwin turns it around this year or next. it is fair to say next year is a make or break year for him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #235: July 30, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
Rendon was that guy.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #236: July 30, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
Rendon was that guy.

and now he isn't a prospect. The farm has no depth, just a succession of early first round picks who graduated quickly.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #237: July 30, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
The farm has pitching depth. It's just light in position players.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #238: July 30, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
and now he isn't a prospect. The farm has no depth, just a succession of early first round picks who graduated quickly.
So the farm gets no credit for graduating Harper and Rendon? Should we judge farms by taking out their first rounders and guys who work their ways quickly through the minors?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #239: July 30, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
So the farm gets no credit for graduating Harper and Rendon? Should we judge farms by taking out their first rounders and guys who work their ways quickly through the minors?

:lmao: yes, the farm gets credit for a historically bad season coinciding with a historically great talent (Bowden for gm of the decade). Other teams manage to field major league rosters and have talent on the farm, it is possible

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #240: July 30, 2013, 03:44:21 PM »
The farm has pitching depth. It's just light in position players.
The AAA club has Kobernus, Perez, Walters, Solano, and Moore. That is decent depth for injuries. In my opinion, we should move some players (Tracy, Bernie) to free up room for a couple of them.

People want more studs. The youngest hitting studs are Harper and Rendon and they're already in the majors. The next wave of hitting and pitching talent is a little lower in the system.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #241: July 30, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
:lmao: yes, the farm gets credit for a historically bad season coinciding with a historically great talent (Bowden for gm of the decade). Other teams manage to field major league rosters and have talent on the farm, it is possible
It's a perfectly good question. If Nationals are in the middle of the first and add a couple hitting prospects in those years that are currently in AAA or AA then the system looks better.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #242: July 30, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
The AAA club has Kobernus, Perez, Walters, Solano, and Moore. That is decent depth for injuries. In my opinion, we should move some players (Tracy, Bernie) to free up room for a couple of them.

People want more studs. The youngest hitting studs are Harper and Rendon and they're already in the majors. The next wave of hitting and pitching talent is a little lower in the system.

I wouldn't mind a balanced deep system - one that not only relies on the draft, but that occasionally signs top international talent,  and has a large presence in the DR, and possibly Venezuel

Just out of curiosity, where do you expect our system to rank in the offseason 

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #243: July 30, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
I wouldn't mind a balanced deep system - one that not only relies on the draft, but that occasionally signs top international talent,  and has a large presence in the DR, and possibly Venezuel

Just out of curiosity, where do you expect our system to rank in the offseason 
We have sucked internationally. Been terrible. We know what happened back in 2008/2009 and then I think we burned ourselves badly with Yunesky Maya. Not sure what is happening currently for the Nats in Latin American but it can only get better. It has to if we want to maintain a highly competitive farm system on a yearly basis.

As for the ranking this offseason? No clue. I see a bunch of talent in the lower part of the system, but at the top it is mostly role players (Perez, Kobernus, etc). Wasn't great last offseason and then the system graduated Rendon and Taylor Jordan.

I would like a highly ranked system but I don't really care about system rankings. I follow the Royals closely and we see how that worked out a couple years back when they supposedly had the greatest minors ever. I want the Nats to have more hitting talent(if Goodwin doesn't turn it around then it's a big blow), but I also know the Nationals have a couple really young hitters already in the majors. I want Perez and Kobernus to get a chance to play consistently. Pitching wise, I am happy with the system. Cole, imo, will be a really good one. Purke and Giolito have huge potential if they get healthy. Ray, Jordan, Karns, and Solis are arms that could be back of the rotation or #6's. I would rather have the Twins system but the Nats still have useful young talent.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #244: July 30, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Smithian - hey, Myers worked out.  And no telling how Odorizzi will do.  The Royals got Shields for them.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #245: July 30, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »
Smithian - hey, Myers worked out.  And no telling how Odorizzi will do.  The Royals got Shields for them.
Yes, a couple worked out. Not all of them. And a "couple" guys in our farm system last few years will work out. Thus, rankings are good, but they don't really concern me. We have players in our system who will fill holes.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #246: August 02, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
Gulp. Unspecified arm injury.  :icon_frown:  :nervous:

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #247: August 16, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
He's back in the lineup tonight.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #248: August 24, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
- Goodwin hitting .248.
- Hood is still starting, but batting 9th (using the DH).

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #249: August 24, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »
- Goodwin hitting .248.
- Hood is still starting, but batting 9th (using the DH).

Goodwin started off slow when he came off the DL but he's been hitting a little more recently.