Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 105257 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #900: January 17, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
Never watched even a second of the Real Housewives tripe. Same with Kardashians, there are some cultural phenomena I don't even want to try to understand.

But I saw Kevin Hart and the massively underrated JB Smoove had a new sitcom about a trend I've never watched on a channel I've never watched, either. Real Husbands of Hollywood on BET... It is far from genius, but as a sitcom hater, it wasn't bad. Clearly tried desperately to be the african american Curb Your Enthusiasm, but when you've got Robin Thicke as the token white dude comic relief, it'd be hard to screw up.

Smoove... Man, has there ever been a guy so widely applauded who just can never 'make it?' Til Death, CYE... Admittedly he portrays his humor and brands himself largely on stereotypes as the Gary Coleman 'Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?" but the dude has comedy chops. Plays perfectly off Hart in this show, if nothing else. Having Nick Cannon? F*ing genius. Literally the perfect casting choice - the crap they can pull using 'Mimi' as a plot device is near limitless. You couldn't create fiction as perfectly absurd as having a 20ish guy married to Mariah Carey.

Lastly, this season of American Horror Story is going to be the greatest thing in history. It's so utterly insane, so impossible to imagine being green lit by suited execs, yet makes such perfect sense. Christ and Antichrist battle ala Carnivale, aliens, nazi doctors mutilating, angel of death, demonic possession of nuns... Good lord, the most banal part of the show is the fact it's set in a 1960s Catholic insane asylum with all expected abuses present. Sheer and utter genius. I thought about using spoilers for said list, but knowing all that and you'd still be totally clueless until watching the show. To imagine this is by the same dude as glee is both shocking and depressing. Anyone capable of dreaming up such depravity, yet such utterly unique and intriguing plots, wasting time on a high school musical show should be criminalized.