Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 34059 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #275: April 25, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »
Maybe if you start nagging about the Lerners being cheap, it'll be like a day at Kings Dominion. :twisted:

huh?  they are cheap.

MANNY MUST GO!

Offline balzig777

« Reply #276: April 25, 2009, 06:26:42 PM »
I just don't think it will make much a difference right away.
I too am of this opinion, it seems what can go wrong does at this point in time, baseball has a way of turning things around but how much is still to be determined, and will it be too late? Ahh the mystries of life..........

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #277: April 26, 2009, 08:22:04 AM »
"Yes" has surged ahead of "No." A week ago they were about even :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #280: April 26, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
YES

Offline Dave B

« Reply #281: April 27, 2009, 09:48:10 PM »
http://hasmannyactabeenfiredyet.blogspot.com/

i like this blog. simple. no effort. didnt even change the template. no nonsense

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #282: April 27, 2009, 11:32:52 PM »
If the Mets still want him, TRADE Acta and Randy St. Claire to the Mets for whatever we can con out of them.  They have multiple closers, and Jose Reyes.  (The Washington Senators traded their manager, Gil Hodges to the Mets.  He lead them to win the World Series.  Hodges wasn't a moron though.)

Otherwise, Manny can either be burned at the stake or shot at dawn.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #283: April 28, 2009, 11:04:07 AM »
This poll should be CHANGED so that "Anyone can see the Results", (without voting.)  Currently Guests cannot see results. 

A newbie on the Nationals' MLB message board tried to start a similar poll ("Is this the kind of loss where managers get...") after last night's 13-11 loss to Philadelphia.  They don't have a formal poll feature, but it appears to be a 5-5 tie.  What's notable is there are 340 over 500 VIEWS.

WNFF gets LOTS of guests, which may include the Front Office, Nationals' players, and others.  With all those views of this question on the MLB board, this Poll should let any Guest see these results, since it may prompt some nitwit in the Front Office to actually do something about this team.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #284: April 28, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »
This poll should be CHANGED so that "Anyone can see the Results", (without voting.)  Currently Guests cannot see results. 

A cursory glance reveals no such option, but I'll look into it further.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #285: April 28, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »
Nats' Acta: How safe?

The Nationals demonstrated their offensive potential Monday night, but their absurdly inadequate bullpen blew an 11-7 lead to the Phillies by allowing six runs in the eighth inning.

The result: A 13-11 loss that dropped the team's record to 4-14 and did little to enhance the job security of manager Manny Acta.

Acting general manager Mike Rizzo probably will not dump Acta quickly — Rizzo, who was not always with the major-league club in his previous role as assistant GM, needs more time to form a judgment. He also recognizes that Acta is dealing with a dysfunctional roster — the handiwork of the previous GM, Jim Bowden.

Still, the Nats' fundamental play is dismal, and scouts routinely question Acta's decision-making. Acta blundered when he failed to penalize outfielder Lastings Milledge for showing up late on Opening Day. And if the Nationals continue to look inept, ownership might want change simply for change's sake.

Say this for the Nats: With the return of Nick Johnson and arrival of Adam Dunn, they at least work counts. The team entered Monday's play ranked third in the NL in pitches per plate appearance and fourth in OBP.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9509684/Don't-expect-Joba-to-bail-out-Yanks-'pen-yet

There is a poll next to the tidbit asking "who will be the nats skipper in september?"  71% Not Manny Acta vs. 29% Manny Acta (467 votes). 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #286: April 28, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
There is a poll next to the tidbit asking "who will be the nats skipper in september?"  71% vs. 29% say NO (459 votes). 

So Who won't be the Nats skipper in September?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #287: April 28, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
Still, the Nats' fundamental play is dismal, and scouts routinely question Acta's decision-making.

And when you have a young team and fail to emphasize fundamentals you fail as a manager.

= EPIC FAIL

Offline The Chief

« Reply #288: April 28, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
And when you have a young team and fail to emphasize fundamentals you fail as a manager.

(Image removed from quote.)  = EPIC FAIL

I can make you an avatar out of that picture with a FAIL stamp across the picture if it'll get you to take that ridiculous NOTLD avatar down.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #289: April 28, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »
I like "absurdly inadequate."  That describes our bullpen (excluding Beimel) perfectly.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #290: April 28, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
A cursory glance reveals no such option, but I'll look into it further.

Here's a poll in Off Topic/Red Scare/Whatever by BBQ, where Guests can see the Results:
http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,12210.0.html

In a few Polls I set up, I recall having the option to show results
(a) only after voting or
(b) show them without voting.
Whoever set up the Poll can Modify that, I think.
Guests can see (b) but cannot see results if (a) is used.  I logged out to verify that for both this and BBQ's poll.

BTW, I posted a link to this thread, the WNFF Home Page, and the WNFF Gameday Threads on that Nats MLB poll page.   Doing that every once in awhile usually draws new members to WNFF.  I rarely post over there anymore.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #291: April 28, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
Good call N2P.  I was looking in the admin panel before, not the poll options.  It should be publicly visible now.

edit - confirmed.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #292: April 28, 2009, 12:51:40 PM »

It's the continued fundamental lapses that are impossible to excuse.  Somebody has to be responsible for that, like the manager.

Speaking of fundamentals, I was amused when Bob Carpenter explained last night that Zimmerman says the key to keeping his throws on target is to keep his knees bent.  Is that how it works here?  Does a minor hiccup have to plague somebody for two years before somebody says "bend your knees"?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #293: April 28, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »
It's the continued fundamental lapses that are impossible to excuse.  Somebody has to be responsible for that, like the manager.

Speaking of fundamentals, I was amused when Bob Carpenter explained last night that Zimmerman says the key to keeping his throws on target is to keep his knees bent.  Is that how it works here?  Does a minor hiccup have to plague somebody for two years before somebody says "bend your knees"?

Actually the method emplyed is to pat him on the back and say, "it's o.k. Ryan, just keep trying."

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #294: April 28, 2009, 02:53:20 PM »
Actually the method emplyed is to pat him on the back and say, "it's o.k. Ryan, just keep trying."

Or maybe it is the Lenny Harris method to call them emotionally unstable and say you aren't sure how to help them.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #297: April 30, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »
bump. FIRE HIS ASS

Offline saltydad

« Reply #298: May 01, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
Changed to YES. This mediocrity has to stop.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #299: May 01, 2009, 12:04:51 AM »
Changed to YES. This mediocrity has to stop.
54 'Yes' votes now and only 18 votes for 'No'. wow. that's 75% in favor of firing Acta.