Author Topic: The Nats' Offense is downright Offensive  (Read 7201 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: The Nats' Offense is downright Offensive
« Reply #50: May 27, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »
Bump to acknowledge how offensive it must have been to Cardinal fans to give up a guys first career grand slam in what was, up to that point, a very winnable game ... 7 more runs on the board, 17 in the series ... I'm digging the offense ... right about now ...

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #51: May 27, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »
Bump to acknowledge how offensive it must have been to Cardinal fans to give up a guys first career grand slam in what was, up to that point, a very winnable game ... 7 more runs on the board, 17 in the series ... I'm digging the offense ... right about now ...

I was very happy to see LaRussa leave the lefty in to face Flores. It helped the inexperienced Flores get on base, and LaRussa like most managers, including our own, didn't bother to check to see that Langerhans has actually been better over his career against lefties. Then the pitcher (the other Flores) just hung a meatball belt high. Beautiful.

natsfan1a

« Reply #52: May 29, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »
Can I get an "amen"?

Damn right the Nats offense has been offensive....OFFENSIVE TO THE OTHER TEAM!  HELL YEAH!

Offline saltydad

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #54: May 29, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »
Bump for tonight's anemic performance.  Everyone was absolutely horrible.   >:(

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #55: May 30, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
Bump for tonight's anemic performance.  Everyone was absolutely horrible.   >:(

Yeah, they were all bad at the same time. So they probably picked a good night to do that. Penny was brutal.

Offline xposbrad

« Reply #56: May 30, 2007, 02:09:38 AM »
After tonight's game, only 2 regulars are hitting .260 and over. Belliard/Young. Is that scary or what??? Forget about doubling the salary next year, we are going to need to quadruple it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #57: May 30, 2007, 07:13:08 AM »
The team essentially took the night off. No shows.  At bat and in the field.  Unfortunate for those unfortunate enough to have gone. 

natsfan1a

« Reply #58: May 30, 2007, 08:51:29 AM »
I didn't see the game, just heard it on the radio, but it seems to me that Penny's pitching was a big factor, as opposed to sheer offensive ineptitude on our part. Anyway, it was just one game and today's a new day.

Offline rich_nats

« Reply #59: May 30, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
I didn't see the game, just heard it on the radio, but it seems to me that Penny's pitching was a big factor, as opposed to sheer offensive ineptitude on our part. Anyway, it was just one game and today's a new day.

I'm not sure how much "game-planning" goes into 1 game out of 162, but it didn't look like we were prepared to face Penny.  From the postgame comments, it seemed like the prevailing attitude was "We suck, he's good, so we were going to lose."

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #60: May 30, 2007, 11:47:35 PM »
bump again for obvious reasons.  It now appears that the offense explosion during the road trip was just an aberration after all. 

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #61: May 31, 2007, 02:37:58 AM »
bump again for obvious reasons.  It now appears that the offense explosion during the road trip was just an aberration after all. 

Compare opposing pitching and parks. 'Nuff said.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #62: May 31, 2007, 10:27:48 PM »
Excellent offensive game tonight.  Almost everyone hit well.  Young had 4 hits, Guz had 3, Zim had 4 RBIs, and Church hit a HR and got on base 3 times.   :clap:

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #63: June 01, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
Excellent offensive game tonight.  Almost everyone hit well.  Young had 4 hits, Guz had 3, Zim had 4 RBIs, and Church hit a HR and got on base 3 times.   :clap:

Even Kearns got off the Schneid, hit a key sac fly, and then had a great shot through the left side of the infield to plate another and keep the rally going. When he connects, even on those singles, the sound off the bat is thunderous.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #64: June 30, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
Long overdue bump.. The Nats' offense is the worst I have ever seen from a Major League team.   :icon_frown:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #65: June 30, 2007, 11:09:05 PM »
one word:

blech!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #66: August 16, 2007, 09:40:46 PM »
bump... 8 runs in 3 games against the Phillies.  These guys are horrible

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #67: August 16, 2007, 10:16:59 PM »
bump... 8 runs in 3 games against the Phillies.  These guys are horrible

Can't wait til it all comes together, though. Just 2-3 more years, baby!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #68: August 16, 2007, 10:28:35 PM »
The Nats have the lowest scoring offense in the league,  the phillies have one the highest scoring offenses in the league - why are some people shocked they outscored the Nats? As it is, the phils had a grand total of 3 runs, 2 runs, and 4 runs .. a whopping 9 runs in three games - the Nats pitching did a great job of keeping them down that much ... the Nats offense couldn't keep up - it sucks to lose but it's not exactly a shocking development. Am I disappointed in the offensive production? Of course. Are they underachieving? Maybe. Have they overachieved up to this point to win as much as they have? Probably. But banging my head against a brick wall trying to will this team to do something they are not capable of is an act of futility - the Nats need more firepower in the line up - until they get that firepower, this is what you get.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #69: August 16, 2007, 10:40:02 PM »
ya, I'll bump it. This series sucked offensively speaking.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #70: August 17, 2007, 12:11:31 AM »
This series sucked offensively speaking?  Beg to differ...it sucked DEFENSIVELY speaking, but we nearly won game #1 (blown defensively), won game #2, and had a respectable 4-2 despite atrocious starting pitching in game #3.  Nothing terribly wrong with the offense here, for a non-contending team at any rate.  And our summer re-signings certainly spiced up the end of the evening tonight (for those few Nats fans in attendance).

natsfan1a

« Reply #71: August 17, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »
Re. starting pitching last night, I didn't see the game, but from what Charlie and Dave were saying on the radio, it sounded like the home-plate umpire had a miniscule strike zone? I was glad to see (hear) that Young and Belliard seemed to be coming back to life at the plate. [donning anti-flame gear due to having made positive statement :) ]

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #72: August 17, 2007, 08:31:05 AM »
Re. starting pitching last night, I didn't see the game, but from what Charlie and Dave were saying on the radio, it sounded like the home-plate umpire had a miniscule strike zone? I was glad to see (hear) that Young and Belliard seemed to be coming back to life at the plate. [donning anti-flame gear due to having made positive statement :) ]

No need for the anti-flame gear natsfan1a (it's funny to type 1a at the end of your handle). Inflammatory statements in this forum should be punished with cortisone shots.  :lol: I actually believe Belliard's production is suffering from playing everyday. I don't believe he is an everyday player and would probably benefit by being used more sparingly but we really don't have a choice right now.

natsfan1a

« Reply #73: August 17, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »
Thanks, spidey, I'll take that one in the arm, please. ;)

Just FYI (not that you asked), the 1a came about because of an ongoing discussion with my dear friend and baseball buddy from Chicago, who adopted the Nats after attending some games with me in 2005. She (understandably) didn't become quite as immersed in all things Nats as I did, so she took to calling me #1 Nats fan. I responded with the 1a and 1b designators. My husband became 1c by default because he's not quite as fanatical and doesn't tend to attend all of the games with us when she is in town (which she will be later this month). That's probably way too much info, though, but I'm also the queen of TMI. :)

No need for the anti-flame gear natsfan1a (it's funny to type 1a at the end of your handle). Inflammatory statements in this forum should be punished with cortisone shots.  :lol: I actually believe Belliard's production is suffering from playing everyday. I don't believe he is an everyday player and would probably benefit by being used more sparingly but we really don't have a choice right now.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #74: August 17, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
Thanks, spidey, I'll take that one in the arm, please. ;)

Just FYI (not that you asked), the 1a came about because of an ongoing discussion with my dear friend and baseball buddy from Chicago, who adopted the Nats after attending some games with me in 2005. She (understandably) didn't become quite as immersed in all things Nats as I did, so she took to calling me #1 Nats fan. I responded with the 1a and 1b designators. My husband became 1c by default because he's not quite as fanatical and doesn't tend to attend all of the games with us when she is in town (which she will be later this month). That's probably way too much info, though, but I'm also the queen of TMI. :)

I sort of knew your hubby was 1c but now that you've provided further info I can see it clearly.  :)