Author Topic: Riots in London  (Read 2367 times)

Offline houston-nat

Riots in London
« Topic Start: August 08, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »
Just so you guys know, I'm okay and safe on a secure college campus. My neighborhood is largely calm, but my corner grocery store's glass front doors were completely destroyed this evening and there was a cruel arc of glass shards across the sidewalk.

I hear lots of sirens. Until tonight, the problem areas were all in very far away bits of London, but apparently the neighborhood next to mine (Bethnal Green) is now a flashpoint.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Riots in London
« Reply #1: August 08, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
News link for the oblivious? Stay inside and keep your head down!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: August 08, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
Stay safe and alert.  Too much craziness in this world bro. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: August 08, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
Damn, echoes of DC in 68?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: August 08, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
Just so you guys know, I'm okay and safe on a secure college campus. My neighborhood is largely calm, but my corner grocery store's glass front doors were completely destroyed this evening and there was a cruel arc of glass shards across the sidewalk.

I hear lots of sirens. Until tonight, the problem areas were all in very far away bits of London, but apparently the neighborhood next to mine (Bethnal Green) is now a flashpoint.

Be safe "houston".    CBS news reports tonight what you have observed.   It's spreading and the bobbies say it's crimes, etc. of opportunity.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #5: August 08, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
Be safe!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #6: August 08, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
News link for the oblivious? Stay inside and keep your head down!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/

Wow, Notting Hill has riots :shock: where's Hugh Grant when you need him?

Hearing lots and lots of sirens out my window.

This is the street I walk down to go to the bagel shop:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #7: August 08, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
It's spreading and the bobbies say it's crimes, etc. of opportunity.

Yep. There's basically no motive for any of this except that people want to burgle and destroy stuff. These rioters are idiots to the last one. But violent idiots. The worst kind.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: August 08, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »
WTF is all this about? I know someone that lives in London and I just saw her over the weekend (airline attendant).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #9: August 08, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
I was in London in '85.   I figured most of the trouble would have been south of the Thames.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: August 08, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
WTF is all this about? I know someone that lives in London and I just saw her over the weekend (airline attendant).

On the 7th, police shot a gang member who was brandishing either a gun or a fake gun - details are uncertain. What is certain is that it was a crappy neighborhood, Tottenham, which responded by burning cars and then burning down an electronics store. On the 8th a couple other bad parts of town decided to go looting and steal stuff from their local shops, just 'cause Tottenham was doing it too. Tonight half the city seems to have gotten in on it. There's literally no motive except steal crap and mug people and be lawless.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #11: August 08, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
I was in London in '85.   I figured most of the trouble would have been south of the Thames.

Guardian.co.uk has a Google Map of affected areas. This sentence is a link

My neighborhood is Mile End, zoom in one level and it's visible to the right of the city centre.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #12: August 08, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
On the 7th, police shot a gang member who was brandishing either a gun or a fake gun - details are uncertain. What is certain is that it was a crappy neighborhood, Tottenham, which responded by burning cars and then burning down an electronics store. On the 8th a couple other bad parts of town decided to go looting and steal stuff from their local shops, just 'cause Tottenham was doing it too. Tonight half the city seems to have gotten in on it. There's literally no motive except steal crap and mug people and be lawless.

We have those here every few years or so.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: August 08, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
We have those here every few years or so.

Adams Morgan Day ... Human Kindness Day .... etc.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #14: August 08, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
I'll never understand riots and destroying you're own neighborhood. It just makes no damn sense.

Houston, I didn't know he was a gang member, but from what I read, he actually shot at the police. His friends/family (30 or so according to the news), went out for a peaceful protest outside the police department and some jerks decided to take it upon themselves to start these riots. The friends/family left and had nothing to do with them once they started.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: August 08, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »
I'll never understand riots and destroying you're own neighborhood. It just makes no damn sense.

It's "mob mentality".    It's a different animal/dynamic.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: August 08, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »
Rioting is a popular summer pastime in the UK.  It's been going on since the 60s, but became a huge fad in the late 70s and early 80s in places like Toxteth and Brixton.  Nostalgia for the blitz perhaps. 

• babble on
« Reply #17: August 08, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
I got caught in the middle of the so-called "Superbowl riot" in Miami in '88 or so...scary crap.  My mom and I got caught on the wrong side of the police lines and only managed to punch through the mob when a police helicopter hovered so low above our car I probably could have grabbed it through the sunroof. A few years earlier during the "McDuffie riots" quite a few people had been dragged from cars and beaten to death, so the cops were essentially using military tactics.  Riots suck.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: August 08, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »
Houston - hope you are safe.

Imagine how p.o.'d they'd be in Tottenham if Spurs stunk.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #19: August 08, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

Sorry...you made loled.

• babble on
« Reply #20: August 08, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
Spurs do stink. 

Signed, Arsenal fan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: August 08, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
Damn, echoes of DC in 68?

Pretty much.  An opportunity to steal while the police are overwhelmed.  Free kit!

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #22: August 08, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »
Pretty much.  An opportunity to steal while the police are overwhelmed.  Free kit!
\\

It's amazing what humans will do when the chance of punishment is so remote. I really like you guys, but in general I think people suck.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: August 08, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »
\\

It's amazing what humans will do when the chance of punishment is so remote. I really like you guys, but in general I think people suck.

If not for The Chief, no telling what gutter I'd be in.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #24: August 08, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
If not for The Chief, no telling what gutter I'd be in.

Not sayin anything bad about said gutter, you might have very good company. Just people can really suck. Guess that's why I want to see that movie, bout time humans get their 'azzes' kicked. :)