Author Topic: Now we play to stay out of the cellar  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Now we play to stay out of the cellar
« Topic Start: September 22, 2005, 12:09:35 AM »
This is what's left of the 2005 season.  Just trying to keep above .500 and staying out of last place.  My oh my how the mighty have fallen.  What happened to the team that had a TEN GAME winning streak?!?  Remember that?  Can you remember being 5 games ahead of everybody for the division before the All Star break?  A historic choke for a historic first year.

We can all have hope though.  New ownership and cash should make life a lot more interesting next year.  And don't forget the brand new stadium in 2006!  

Even though it's been a horrible crash to the end...I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Finally, Washington has a baseball team and I'll keep buying tickets and watching games until I die.  

Now let's crack some beers and enjoy the rest of this plummetting airplane called the Washington Nationals.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Now we play to stay out of the cellar
« Reply #1: September 22, 2005, 09:12:48 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
This is what's left of the 2005 season.  Just trying to keep above .500 and staying out of last place.  My oh my how the mighty have fallen.  What happened to the team that had a TEN GAME winning streak?!?  Remember that?  Can you remember being 5 games ahead of everybody for the division before the All Star break?  A historic choke for a historic first year.

We can all have hope though.  New ownership and cash should make life a lot more interesting next year.  And don't forget the brand new stadium in 2006!  

Even though it's been a horrible crash to the end...I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Finally, Washington has a baseball team and I'll keep buying tickets and watching games until I die.  

Now let's crack some beers and enjoy the rest of this plummetting airplane called the Washington Nationals.

quoted for truth.

Nationalzfanatic88

Re: Now we play to stay out of the cellar
« Reply #2: September 22, 2005, 11:28:37 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"

"Oh how the mighty have fallen? Horrible crash to the end?" Come on you cant tell me that you didnt anticipate this would happen. How could a team with the worst offense in the majors, one of the lowest payrolls, the most injuries and a pitching staff completely worn out possibly win the WC let alone the Division. The fact that they were 5.5 games in the Division was great and tells me that this team can go above and beyond everybody else next year (if hopefully we get a great owner). I really dont see this as a dismal end even if we finish below .500 and in last place, because the Mets, Phillies and Marlins are most likely not gonna make the playoffs and they are a complete team. During the course of they year they havent given their fans really anything to cheer about none of them had the division lead (Florida's was like 2 days) and none of them went on any sort of long streak. The Nationals being the BIGGEST DARKHORSE in the history of baseball gave us that and much more while still being a "team in progress". So, Imagine what they could do if they were a complete team?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: September 22, 2005, 01:37:17 PM »
New stadium isn't until 2008 at the very least.

And yes we did choke, big time.  At the end of our sweep in Chicago, we were 50-31.  If we had played .500 ball from that point on, we would've finished the season 90-72.  More than likely that would've been enough for the WC, and MAYBE the division.  Even .450 ball would've put us at 86-76...  a finish that seems more than likely out of our reach now.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #4: September 23, 2005, 12:59:23 AM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
New stadium isn't until 2008 at the very least.

D'oh!  Did I say 2006?  Gosh I'm like a puppy wetting himself.  Need to calm down about that new stadium!   :lol:

Offline PC

« Reply #5: September 23, 2005, 10:51:46 AM »
Well, actually, we can still play for 2nd place.  We're 2 games behind Florida for third, 4 games behind Philadelphia for second and we still have series against them both, remaining.

...but we really have fallen  This is what our season has been reduced to. :cry: