Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1  (Read 14980 times)

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1
« Reply #425: August 20, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
Amazing game. Zimmerman is SO good. And to do it against the Phillies is just so sweet. Hopefully we can take the series at least. And we're in 3rd place!
But all roads to the wild card still go through Atlanta...

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #426: August 20, 2011, 12:15:16 PM »
Nationals.com says Oswald is starting tonight. No surprise there.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #427: August 20, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
I'd love to see Zimmy use Pantera's Walk as  his walk up music for his first at bat tonight. The intro music would just be awesome!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #428: August 20, 2011, 12:34:09 PM »
I think Mathguy was more thinking about where his next steak and cheese was going to come from.    :lol:

And that after he held me down and forced me to drink 3 Dogfish head Raison d'etre's on an empty stomach, which is probably what helped grease my anger.   

That's his hobby :lol:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #429: August 20, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
The moron Philly fan that ended up with Zimmerman's home run ball raised his hands in celebration of getting the ball even though the jack forced his team to walkoff the field in defeat.  :lmao:

Also, the reaction of the chick in the blue (and her friends) atop the Philly dugout is priceless. They were Nats fans. But you can also see philly fans in complete anguish with hands on their heads watching the ball sail into the LF seats.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #430: August 20, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
The moron Philly fan that ended up with Zimmerman's home run ball raised his hands in celebration of getting the ball even though the jack forced his team to walkoff the field in defeat.  :lmao:

Also, the reaction of the chick in the blue (and her friends) atop the Philly dugout is priceless. They were Nats fans. But you can also see philly fans in complete anguish with hands on their heads watching the ball sail into the LF seats.

The fat dude in the maroon shirt, that was priceless

Offline heeman82

« Reply #431: August 20, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
The fat dude in the maroon shirt, that was priceless

Yes.  :w:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #432: August 20, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »

Two consecutive starts! 

A statistical rarity I would think.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #433: August 20, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
Wow!  I fell asleep in the middle of the game last night.  When I checked the score this morning, I just had to watch Zimmerman's walkoff homer three or four times.  What a sweet win!  If we can just take at least one more this weekend, maybe the Phillies fans will start figuring out that it's no fun to drive to DC to watch their team LOSE.   :mg: One can only hope. 

Aw, let's just sweep them!  Make a statement! :whip:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #434: August 20, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
holy freakin awesome win.

some huge ABs last night, especially by the young guys.  (oh and gomes is really making an impact since coming over)

ramos bloop single to break the no-no, the desmond excuse me thanks mayberry rbi double, then ramos again with the homer.  the ramos homer was absolutely huge.  it cut the lead in half and gave life to the dugout.  can't say enough of how big that bomb was for the club.

in the 9th, espinosa with a huge single, ramos with the key bunt, desmond which could've been the game winner.

but obviously the heroes of the night are werth and of course zimmerman.  werth had one of the best ABs i have seen the entire year, and it was vintage phillies werth there.  0-2 count to work it the way he did and get on base.  and you could tell how happy he was for himself to finally deliver and also that the young guys came through.

zimmerman has to be here for the rest of his career.  he's one of the most clutch players in baseball and we all know how underrated he is on the national scale.

give gorzelanny credit for bearing down and not giving up anything.  livo had one bad inning but he did give us five to save the bullpen.

tremendous night.  it's been a good week to be a nats fan.  honestly, not a terrible year to be one either.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #435: August 20, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
Made it to the top of the 8th then bailed and watched the walk off at whom....and kicked myself for not staying.
What a team! These guys do NOT quit!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #436: August 20, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
Someone (Spider?) pointed him out on the GDT last night. 
Thought that was you I saw you on TV.

• babble on
« Reply #437: August 20, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
Burn it (again)!

But all roads to the wild card still go through Atlanta...

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #438: August 20, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
holy freakin awesome win.

some huge ABs last night, especially by the young guys.  (oh and gomes is really making an impact since coming over)

ramos bloop single to break the no-no, the desmond excuse me thanks mayberry rbi double, then ramos again with the homer.  the ramos homer was absolutely huge.  it cut the lead in half and gave life to the dugout.  can't say enough of how big that bomb was for the club.

in the 9th, espinosa with a huge single, ramos with the key bunt, desmond which could've been the game winner.

but obviously the heroes of the night are werth and of course zimmerman.  werth had one of the best ABs i have seen the entire year, and it was vintage phillies werth there.  0-2 count to work it the way he did and get on base.  and you could tell how happy he was for himself to finally deliver and also that the young guys came through.

zimmerman has to be here for the rest of his career.  he's one of the most clutch players in baseball and we all know how underrated he is on the national scale.

give gorzelanny credit for bearing down and not giving up anything.  livo had one bad inning but he did give us five to save the bullpen.

tremendous night.  it's been a good week to be a nats fan.  honestly, not a terrible year to be one either.

A lot of the guys were really clutch, from what I saw and I read about Werth's 11 pitch at bat, which sounded like the old Werth.  I noticed from watching the highlights on MLB.com that Ramos popped up the ninth inning sac bunt, and it was almost caught by Madson.  The announcer thought they might have had a chance at a double play if the bunt had been caught.  Sometimes the good teams are also a little lucky.  Last night, we were very good late in the game, and maybe a little lucky.

It has been a nice week to a Nats fan.  I went to the game on Thursday, which was a good win too.  And I'm dreaming of having Purke and Rendon on the Nats soon, maybe before the end of 2013 (not to mention Strasburg and Harper).  Third place is great, too!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #439: August 20, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
A lot of the guys were really clutch, from what I saw and I read about Werth's 11 pitch at bat, which sounded like the old Werth.  I noticed from watching the highlights on MLB.com that Ramos popped up the ninth inning sac bunt, and it was almost caught by Madson.  The announcer thought they might have had a chance at a double play if the bunt had been caught.  Sometimes the good teams are also a little lucky.  Last night, we were very good late in the game, and maybe a little lucky.

It has been a nice week to a Nats fan.  I went to the game on Thursday, which was a good win too.  And I'm dreaming of having Purke and Rendon on the Nats soon, maybe before the end of 2013 (not to mention Strasburg and Harper).  Third place is great, too!

It was a bad bunt, but the pitcher had no chance. He had to dive even to get a hand on the ball, which was his bare hand. Phillis were lucky that the pitcher knocked the ball toward their catcher...otherwise, Ramos would have been safe at first.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #440: August 20, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
It was a bad bunt, but the pitcher had no chance. He had to dive even to get a hand on the ball, which was his bare hand. Phillis were lucky that the pitcher knocked the ball toward their catcher...otherwise, Ramos would have been safe at first.

your opinion

from what i saw, the pitcher wasn't going to get the ball so it was a clean bunt.

and in the end, all that matters is he got the job done.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #441: August 20, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
The dude sitting in the first row atop the Nats' dugout looked like tomterp.

:thumbs:

Great spot!  It was my pure fortune to have placed my seat location fate in the hands of one well versed in the schmoozing of ushers and fellow fans alike.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #442: August 20, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »
your opinion

from what i saw, the pitcher wasn't going to get the ball so it was a clean bunt.

and in the end, all that matters is he got the job done.

Oh, agreed: no way the pitcher could have caught the ball. It landed about a foot from him after the dive. Just not your textbook sac bunt...on the ground between the pitcher and the 1B line.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #443: August 20, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »

€£¥#%^ autocorrect. I DO know how to spell his name.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #444: August 20, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
Oh, agreed: no way the pitcher could have caught the ball. It landed about a foot from him after the dive. Just not your textbook sac bunt...on the ground between the pitcher and the 1B line.
:doh: I went back and looked it at again.  (My kids must be right.  I am getting to be an  :old: .  I don't know what the announcers excuse was - he said it was "nearly caught".)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #445: August 20, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »
Two consecutive starts! 

A statistical rarity I would think.

I'm pretty sure that happened a lot back in the days. In fact, I believe at one point Walter Johnson started three in a row against the yankees. He often pitched out of the bullpen one night for a couple of innings and pitched a complete game the following day. Or pitched a complete game one day and came out of the bullpen the next day to help out. This lead to some unfair losses credited to his overall record on top of having little offensive help. He pitched 8.1 one day in Chicago for the win and the next day in St Louis he came out of the bullpen for .1 and the loss. He pitched two innings out of the bullpen in Boston and took the loss only to start the second half of the doubleheader and went 9 innings to secure the split in the doubleheader. Later that year (1923) in St Louis he pitched 3 innings out of the bullpen and again started the second game of the twinbill and pitched 7 more innings to sweep the Browns. I read about a game he pitched in NY where he pitched 13.1 innings and lost on a walkoff. He had many extra inning losses and no decisions. But also had lots of extra inning shutouts.  :shock:  One year he got pounded by Detroit at home in 4.2 innings but came back the next day and tossed a complete game yielding 3 ER's and taking the loss.

Babe Ruth also started both halves of a doubleheader once but only pitched .1 of an inning in the first game to allow Rube Foster more time to loosen up. He pitched a complete game in the second game. It's possible that he also started back to back games when he was tossed from a start after facing only one batter for hitting the umpire but I can't find any records for that year.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #446: August 20, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that happened a lot back in the days. In fact, I believe at one point Walter Johnson started three in a row against the yankees. He often pitched out of the bullpen one night for a couple of innings and pitched a complete game the following day. Or pitched a complete game one day and came out of the bullpen the next day to help out. This lead to some unfair losses credited to his overall record on top of having little offensive help. He pitched 8.1 one day in Chicago for the win and the next day in St Louis he came out of the bullpen for .1 and the loss. He pitched two innings out of the bullpen in Boston and took the loss only to start the second half of the doubleheader and went 9 innings to secure the split in the doubleheader. Later that year (1923) in St Louis he pitched 3 innings out of the bullpen and again started the second game of the twinbill and pitched 7 more innings to sweep the Browns. I read about a game he pitched in NY where he pitched 13.1 innings and lost on a walkoff. He had many extra inning losses and no decisions. But also had lots of extra inning shutouts.  :shock:  One year he got pounded by Detroit at home in 4.2 innings but came back the next day and tossed a complete game yielding 3 ER's and taking the loss.

Babe Ruth also started both halves of a doubleheader once but only pitched .1 of an inning in the first game to allow Rube Foster more time to loosen up. He pitched a complete game in the second game. It's possible that he also started back to back games when he was tossed from a start after facing only one batter for hitting the umpire but I can't find any records for that year.

...or Joe McGinnity (active in MLB 1899-1908) who on five different occasions pitched both ends of a doubleheader - and three different times won both matches.

What a different game it was....

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #447: August 20, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
They're going to need Tommy John at that rate.

• babble on
« Reply #448: August 20, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
Back then they just needed Babe Ruth therapy (steaks, cigars, and gin)
They're going to need Tommy John at that rate.