Author Topic: Brandon Watson  (Read 1300 times)

Offline mjteggy05

Brandon Watson
« Topic Start: August 10, 2005, 07:15:48 AM »
Great debut by the kid last night. I was wondering if anyone out there has seen him play on a regular basis? If so, what's a scouting report on the kid, and what can we expect out of him in Washington? Stuff like that.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Brandon Watson
« Reply #1: August 10, 2005, 07:19:50 AM »

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Brandon Watson
« Reply #2: August 10, 2005, 07:25:24 AM »
Watson Having Career Season After Moving Up From Double-A  
By Doug Gill/Zephyrsbaseball.com

July 6, 2005

Brandon Watson has been nearly unstoppable since being promoted from Double-A Harrisburg.    The Zephyrs' fleet-footed center fielder reached base safely in his first 41 games, setting a club record.  Overall he has played in 47 games with the Zephyrs, reached base safely in 45 of the them, and is hitting a robust .360 with one home run and 19 RBI.  

Since coming to the Zephyrs, Watson has been a catalyst for the offense.  The team is hitting at a .291 clip, good for second in the Pacific Coast League behind Colorado Springs.  By being such a successful leadoff hitter, Watson has put other hitters in the lineup in lots of RBI situations.

One of the reasons for Watson?s success this year is his ability to utilize his speed to put pressure on the opposing PCL defenses.  His hitting style could be compared favorably to that of Seattle Mariners superstar Ichiro Suzuki.  Watson appears to be almost moving out of the batters box and down the first base line when he makes contact with the ball.

Brandon Watson reached base in his first 41 games, a Zephyrs club record
When asked about the similarities in their style of hitting Watson said, ?I don?t pattern my hitting after Ichiro, it is just the way that I learned to hit when I was younger and it has been successful for me.?

Watson?s hitting philosophy has proved successful indeed.  He has an on base percentage of .413.  ?I usually try to give up my first at-bat for the team and take more pitches then I normally would," said Watson.  "It is hard sometimes though because I am a very aggressive hitter.  I like to put the ball in play.?

Even when not taking pitches, putting the ball in play has not been a problem for Watson, as he has struck out only 19 times in 203 at bats.  

?I feel like as long as I can keep my hands back and my head down I can hit the ball well,? said Watson.

In addition to being a threat at the plate, Watson has also flagged down many would-be doubles in the gaps out in center field.  

?In New Orleans the ball tends to hang up in the air and not carry as well," said Watson.  "This gives you a chance to run down balls that might be hits other places.?

For Zephyrs fans, Watson?s speed, hitting and center field play have been a real treat to watch day in and day out.  And if you come out to a game and look for him, check the bases, because that?s where he is most of the time.

Offline esoteric

Brandon Watson
« Reply #3: August 10, 2005, 11:25:58 AM »
Okay...everybody ask themselves why this guy has been languishing in the minors until August whilst Preston "Where'd the ball go?" Wilson has been dicking around in left field.

Offline Dave B

Brandon Watson
« Reply #4: August 10, 2005, 12:01:55 PM »
if you look at those stats, i think people were waiting around to see if he was for real.  his harrisburg stats werent that great, he got better when he moved up a level.  maybe this guy is for real, maybe not, but if he can be hot for 2 months, that's all we need. and by hot, i mean hitting .280.  i'd like to see his base stealing prowess.  definitely a change of pace for the nats and hopefully a catalyst.

Montcobaseball

Brandon Watson
« Reply #5: August 10, 2005, 01:34:33 PM »
To tell the truth I had never heard of Watson until the weekend when there was a rumor that he would be called up.  This is one of the great mysteries of this team.  Why players like Watson and Short are allowed to languish in the minors while complete failures like Guzman and Wilson are allowed to play everyday.

Offline PC

Brandon Watson
« Reply #6: August 10, 2005, 02:18:26 PM »
People (mediots) keep referring to him having a "career" season.  He's 23.  You don't have career seasons at 23.  You haven't had enough of a career to have a career season at 23.

caldercup0

Brandon Watson
« Reply #7: August 11, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »
FINALLY THIS KID GETS TO THE MAJORS!!!

(and I have his autograph!)