Author Topic: Pujols' play - dirty?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Pujols' play - dirty?
« Topic Start: April 10, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »
Check out Pujols' slide at home in the video replay titled "Glaus' two-run double"

The rookie catcher Towles is completely off the plate, not blocking any part of it, but Pujols slides right through his left ankle on the play.  Of course, baseball's premier apologist was heard from on the subject:

Towles is "going to get blasted one of these days," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa told reporters before Wednesday's game.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080408&content_id=2505233&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Pujols' play - dirty?
« Reply #1: April 10, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »
I clicked but could not see the video for some reason.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #2: April 10, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
I don't think it was. It's just smart baserunning by Pujols. He takes out his leg to make sure he doesn't come around with the tag. I have no problem with that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: April 10, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
If the catcher's not blocking the plate or in the basepath, isn't that interference?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: April 10, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
I read in the Post today that Pujols called the clubhouse and apologized to Towles after that game. During batting practice before the game yesterday, there was an altercation between Backe and Pujols over the same thing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: April 10, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
I read in the Post today that Pujols called the clubhouse and apologized to Towles after that game. During batting practice before the game yesterday, there was an altercation between Backe and Pujols over the same thing.

Right.  If Pujols called to apologize, even he must have realized that his play was outside the norm.  I agree, but at least the guy wasn't hurt, so nothing to get too worked up over.

Online blue911

« Reply #6: April 10, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »
If Pujols squared it with Towles, then it's over with. Backe should keep quiet and drill Pujols if he's that upset.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #7: April 10, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
If Pujols squared it with Towles, then it's over with. Backe should keep quiet and drill Pujols if he's that upset.

:rofl: Wasn't expecting that last part.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: April 10, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »

that is the player's perspective.  As a fan, I love to hear them jawing at one another, fueling the fires of rivalry.  Makes watching them more fun.  Maybe we can get Jose Guillen for the Angels series in DC, in a similar vein.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #9: April 10, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
If the catcher's not blocking the plate or in the basepath, isn't that interference?
I don't know, it seems like Pujols didn't really go out of his way to take his legs out. It seems like his left leg was kind of in front of the plate, but I guess if he called to apologize he must have thought it was wrong. Playoff hockey has really got me leaning towards the "do whatever you have to do to score" approach. :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: April 11, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
Pujols slid so far inside the plate, he had to reach to the right to touch the bag with his arm as he slid past.  No question, he intended to slide through the catcher's feet.  Lucky the catcher's spikes didn't catch, he would have had an ankle broken.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: April 11, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »
As a catcher, myself, I think it's pretty weak of Pujols to try that.  That's intent to injure.  I accept contact at the plate as much as anyone (in fact, I encourage it) but if you're going to run through the catcher be a man about it and go high.  If you're intent is to slide you should avoid the catcher. 

This is especially disappointing because I really like Pujols and Pujols is a big enough guy that he shouldn't have to resort to this stuff.

By the way tom, LOVE the new avatar and sig.  Gun to my head I'd have to name "O Brother..." as my all time favorite movie.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: April 11, 2008, 09:18:10 AM »
By the way tom, LOVE the new avatar and sig.  Gun to my head I'd have to name "O Brother..." as my all time favorite movie.

Thanks MF, I was wondering if anybody would get it. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #13: April 11, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
"Well ain't this place a geographical oddity!  Two weeks from everywhere!"