Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 157897 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2400: November 05, 2012, 12:56:42 PM »
There is some exaggeration in that movie about the inability of local beer to get on shelves- Port City was on most local grocery store shelves within a few months of opening. I've never had problems getting the other 'small brewery's' stuff that were featured (dog fish head and stone)
When was that movie made? It could have been the case at the time and since then, grocers have listened more to theit customers and answered the call for the demand of local beer.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2401: November 05, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2402: November 06, 2012, 10:49:11 PM »
I just realized - it's almost the time of year for Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer! I love winter brews and Fort Worth's finest is pretty enjoyable. Gonna have to stock up for spring, in fact.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2403: November 15, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »
URGENT URGENT ALL POINTS BULLETIN

GET YOUR HANDS ON STONE COLLABORATIONS MINT CHOCOLATE IMPERIAL STOUT IT IS DELICIOUS. SMELL BEFORE DRINKING. SO SO SO SO SO DELICIOUS INSTANT LIQUID DESSERT ALSO STRONG*

*YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE I AM DRUNK

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2404: November 16, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
I had like 6 large bottles of Indonesian Bintang pilsner today and still haven't pissed, it is so hot here.  This island was an old Portuguese spice trading outpost, so at least they are RC...hence the availability of beer.  Up in Sumatra they probably saw off your balls for even thinking about beer.  I'll know next week. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2405: November 16, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »
I had like 6 large bottles of Indonesian Bintang pilsner today and still haven't pissed, it is so hot here.  This island was an old Portuguese spice trading outpost, so at least they are RC...hence the availability of beer.  Up in Sumatra they probably saw off your balls for even thinking about beer.  I'll know next week. 

Java (particularly the central and eastern parts) and central Sulawesi, along with Lombok and the Aceh part of far-north Sumatra, are where the really hard-core Islamic fundies turn up. Some parts of Sumatra (such as the Danau Toba area) are majority Christian.

In the meantime...bought a four-pack of Shift, a lager from New Belgium...sort of reminds me of the cheap beers I used to drink at university forty years ago (much much pricier though).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2406: November 16, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
This place (Flores, right by Timor) is 90%++ Catholic, yet there were two muezzins calling their flock to the Friday prayers over megaphones today.  I was expecting a riot, but I gather this happens every Friday.   

Java (particularly the central and eastern parts) and central Sulawesi, along with Lombok and the Aceh part of far-north Sumatra, are where the really hard-core Islamic fundies turn up. Some parts of Sumatra (such as the Danau Toba area) are majority Christian.

In the meantime...bought a four-pack of Shift, a lager from New Belgium...sort of reminds me of the cheap beers I used to drink at university forty years ago (much much pricier though).

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2407: November 16, 2012, 08:18:26 PM »
Where ?

(quote author=houston-nat link=topic=7511.msg1159025#msg1159025 date=1353039257]
URGENT URGENT ALL POINTS BULLETIN

GET YOUR HANDS ON STONE COLLABORATIONS MINT CHOCOLATE IMPERIAL STOUT IT IS DELICIOUS. SMELL BEFORE DRINKING. SO SO SO SO SO DELICIOUS INSTANT LIQUID DESSERT ALSO STRONG*

*YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE I AM DRUNK

[/quote]

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2408: November 19, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
I haven't been able to find Left Hand Milk Stout yet.  I did find Lancaster Milk Stout, which was pretty good in its own right, but I have no idea where to find Left Hand.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2409: November 19, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
I haven't been able to find Left Hand Milk Stout yet.  I did find Lancaster Milk Stout, which was pretty good in its own right, but I have no idea where to find Left Hand.

Crap, do you guys not get Colorado brews distributed over there? Let me check the Left Hand website for you. I just had a tasty one from Ska Brewing in Durango, CO: Mole Stout, with cocoa, chili peppers, and cinnamon.

EDIT: No distributors of Left Hand in Maryland or Delaware. In Virginia they're distributed by
Specialty Beverage Inc.
Rockville
(804) 749-8016

In eastern Pennsylvania
Shangy's
Emmaus
(610) 967-1701

I've never contacted a distributor before, but you'd probably ask what stores they service - like, Texas' distributor is Ben E. Keith but I just get it from Kroger. It goes without saying that if you drive to Virginia to grab Left Hand, (a) worth it, (b) try as many kinds as you can.

Lancaster Milk Stout from Lancaster, PA? See, the tradeoff is I probably won't be able to find that.  :lol:

EDIT II: @HalfSmokes' post below, I do kinda wish we had more New England stuff here. It's mostly Sam Adams and maybe a few I don't recognize. We're solid on CO and CA brews, though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2410: November 19, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
Crap, do you guys not get Colorado brews distributed over there? Let me check the Left Hand website for you. I just had a tasty one from Ska Brewing in Durango, CO: Mole Stout, with cocoa, chili peppers, and cinnamon.

we do, but we get a lot of shelf space taken up by more local (you'd think flying dog was miller given their footprint at a lot of grocery stores) and new england breweries

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2411: November 19, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Have you been to Total Wine in Alexandria or Chantilly ?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2412: November 19, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
Have you been to Total Wine in Alexandria or Chantilly ?

That sounds like a good bet, Knorr. Total Wine rocks.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2413: November 19, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
I've been to Total Wine and Laurel - no luck there.  It sounds like, from what h-n said, there are no distributors in our area.

I'm wondering where HalfSmokes found it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2414: November 19, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
I've been to Total Wine and Laurel - no luck there.  It sounds like, from what h-n said, there are no distributors in our area.
 I

Giant occasionally has it,  unwind (local Wine beer shop) usually has it,  try somewhere in VA,  I think distributors are state by state

Offline blue911

« Reply #2415: November 19, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »

Call Specialty Beverage. 804-749-8016 and ask them where you can buy it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2416: November 19, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »
And ask them if they carry Ken Schmidt, Iron Fist, and Stone's collaboration Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout while you're at it. After trying a few sips last Thursday I think it might be in my all-time top five but I need to find a bottle or two and make sure.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2417: November 19, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Stop talking about the mint stout you bastard,  I'm desperate to try it and no one seems to carry it

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2418: November 20, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »
Stop talking about the mint stout you bastard,  I'm desperate to try it and no one seems to carry it

Looks like Total Wine in Chantilly carries it.  They have a vast selection of micros.  Might even have that in keg.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2421: November 20, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
Call Specialty Beverage. 804-749-8016 and ask them where you can buy it.

Check the Beer Finder at:

http://greatbrewers.com/product/left-hand-milk-stout

Then click, "Find This Beer" and put in your zip code...

http://greatbrewers.com/beer-finder/42574?distance%5Bpostal_code%5D=22306&distance%5Bsearch_distance%5D=100&distance%5Bsearch_units%5D=mile

Thanks for the suggestions - very helpful.

And ask them if they carry Ken Schmidt, Iron Fist, and Stone's collaboration Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout while you're at it. After trying a few sips last Thursday I think it might be in my all-time top five but I need to find a bottle or two and make sure.

I have to admit - mention of that Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout immediately sparked my interest.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2422: November 20, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »

I have to admit - mention of that Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout immediately sparked my interest.

Tragically comish's website isn't showing it available anywhere in Texas. :( :( :( I need like a case of that stuff.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2423: November 20, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
Tragically comish's website isn't showing it available anywhere in Texas. :( :( :( I need like a case of that stuff.

I thought you folks liked Shiner Bock best.      :lmao:

It does score a solid 70 rating on Beer Advocate, however.  Not quite up there with the Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout or Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron supply I laid in for T-giving, however.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/143/1352

Some of the tasting notes are pretty funny.

Pours the color of cola with a very short-lived tan head, just like a Pepsi. Won't be any lace here either.
Smell is odd with notes of malt, some caramel, metal and a serious and overriding mustiness. Not quite skunky but skunk adjacent.
Taste is malt, artificial caramel and metal. Pathetic.
Medium bodied at best, somewhat drying, sharp effervescence up front fades fast. This one is for the drain. Not alcohol abuse, it's palate protection.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2424: November 20, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »
I have a bottle of Southern Tier Imperial Mokah (stout brewed with coffee and chocolate) for thanksgiving- hopefully the coffee fights the effects of the turkey