Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 175197 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #775: October 26, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
What happened to second base and being extremely skeptical of Desmond?  That would make 4.

Never said I wanted to replace them. And I don't see how they could be replaced.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #776: October 26, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
If they can't sign Pagan or Victorino to a reasonable deal, I'd stay away from a big free agent center fielder.  They can make a trade for someone by including Morse, Clippard, and maybe a minor leaguer or someone on the 40 man roster.  Ellsbury could be available.  Maybe Parra if Upton is not traded.  The A's may have too many outfielders.

Or they could just try Morse and Moore there again.

But I'd rather spend resources on the starting rotation and bullpen than on Bourn or BJ Upton.

Precisely my thought.  Dangle Morse out there and if you get good prospects in return (pitching prospects please) then you make the move.  Honestly having Moore in LF all season may be a good or bad thing, but if the Nats can sign LaRoche to a two year deal with a third option year again with more AAV, then sign him, dangle Morse and if he gets traded, start Moore in LF all season.  If a package for Morse that is acceptable never materializes, then start Morse in LF.  If LaRoche isn't retained, move Morse to 1B and start Moore in LF.

Only issue with no LaRoche and Morse AND Moore is a heavy righty bias.  Now that I have let it digest a bit more, Harper can survive one or two more years in CF to let Goodwin get ready.  I think the white whale is Goodwin and the Nats just have to hang on a bit until he is MLB ready, say mid 2014 at the latest.

Spend on Grienke please.  Unbeatable, young rotations don't grow on trees.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #777: October 26, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
Sounds OK to me, but Nats would be downgrading on defense at 1B and at best, staying the same in LF.  I think they can do better.

Just throwing this out there - I think Corey Brown can be a decent player.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get some at bats if they're going to go with in-house options.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #778: October 27, 2012, 08:35:06 PM »
Need to sign a pitcher to replace Jackson through 2014. That way, when Verlander becomes a free agent, we can snag him and bring him back home. And if he doesn't, Purke should be ready by then anyway.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #779: October 27, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
I would love it if Verlander wanted to pitch for his relative hometown team, but the problem with the nats is just that no current major leaguers grew up rooting for the nats so they don't really feel connected to them.

And peavy would be a good guy to get on a 2 year deal to bridge the gap til Verlander/Giolito/Purke

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #780: October 27, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
I would love it if Verlander wanted to pitch for his relative hometown team, but the problem with the nats is just that no current major leaguers grew up rooting for the nats so they don't really feel connected to them.

And peavy would be a good guy to get on a 2 year deal to bridge the gap til Verlander/Giolito/Purke

I don't see Verlander leaving Detroit anytime soon.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #781: October 27, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
I don't see Verlander leaving Detroit anytime soon.

techincally he's a free agent after 2014 but if there is any player in baseball whose team should hand him a blank check it would be verlander

Offline Slateman

« Reply #782: October 27, 2012, 10:14:14 PM »
techincally he's a free agent after 2014 but if there is any player in baseball whose team should hand him a blank check it would be verlander

Tigers have handed out a lot of blank checks. Pretty soon they're going to start getting cashed in for a lot of money.

The more I see Anibal Sanchez, the more I think he'd be a good fit here. Likes to keep the ball down, has post-season experience, can get some Ks, and is in his prime. Would give us the best rotation in baseball. Third season in a row with a mid 3s FIP. Third season in a row he's cut down his BB/9. Oh and we wouldn't have to face him anymore. Could be a good fit.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #783: October 27, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
i don't want to give a 3+ year deal to any pitcher currently on the market.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #784: October 27, 2012, 10:39:48 PM »
Sanchez has eerily similar numbers to JZ. And he's only 28. This is his prime. I'd gladly shell out a nice 4 or 5 year deal for him at around 13m/yr

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #785: October 28, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
The majority of the execs see Cabrera winding up with a one-year deal in the $2-$5MM range to audition himself.  One exec could see him getting $10-$12MM while another said he could possibly get one year at $8-10MM

Offline Slateman

« Reply #786: October 28, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »
Mike Morse/Tyler Moore and Tyler Clippard to the Tigers for Casey Crosby/Andrew Oliver and James McCann

Oh and that's if Laroche re-signs and we decide that we need someone more athletic in LF

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #787: October 28, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
Tigers have handed out a lot of blank checks. Pretty soon they're going to start getting cashed in for a lot of money.

Huh, they are already getting cashed.

Their owner doesn't care. He's dipping into his personal wealth to win a Shampship.

Offline blue911

« Reply #788: October 28, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »

Their owner doesn't care. He's dipping into his personal wealth to win a Shampship.

What's the deal with that guy's haircut?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #789: October 28, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »

Does this look like the face of a man who will be alive in two or three years?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #790: October 28, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Mike Morse/Tyler Moore and Tyler Clippard to the Tigers for Casey Crosby/Andrew Oliver and James McCann

Oh and that's if Laroche re-signs and we decide that we need someone more athletic in LF

I'd do Morse and Clippard for either of those two pitchers and catcher.  Checked out the scouting reports on them and it looked pretty good but still young and raw.  That is what the Nats should want in return for those guys.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #791: October 28, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
why would we want a young catcher?  we kind of have a lot of those.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #792: October 28, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

It's the lefty arms that are more valuable.  They would probably only part with one of the arms, but if you could get two pitchers for Morse/Moore and Clippard, you definitely do it.

Morse/Moore could be a better option than someone like Delmon Young.  They desperately need relief pitching so Clippard would be a big part of this potential trade.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #793: October 28, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »

We have Ramos. Suzuki is not young.

I'd like a guy who is in Double A to develop. Plus McCann is one of the best defensive catchers in the minors. I sort of like the idea of having the next Yadier Molina behind the plate.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #794: October 28, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
It's the lefty arms that are more valuable.  They would probably only part with one of the arms, but if you could get two pitchers for Morse/Moore and Clippard, you definitely do it.

Morse/Moore could be a better option than someone like Delmon Young.  They desperately need relief pitching so Clippard would be a big part of this potential trade.

Delmon Young has been DH'ing for them.  They get Victor Martinez back next year who can DH.  I guess Morse would play LF for them.  I think their defense is already not very good so I'm not sure they'd want to make it worse.

But I'm not against the idea of trading Morse for a prospect if LaRoche comes back on a reasonable deal.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #795: October 28, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
If we trade Morse, we'll get roughly equivalent to the Brown/H-Rod package we got for Hammer. Morse is a very similar situation to what we had with Hammer. A defensively challenged LF on a one year deal who is very productive, but also very injury prone.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #796: October 28, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
We have Ramos. Suzuki is not young.

I'd like a guy who is in Double A to develop. Plus McCann is one of the best defensive catchers in the minors. I sort of like the idea of having the next Yadier Molina behind the plate.

and leon, solano, and flores.  I personally feel that catcher is a position that you should never devote to any one player long-term, because of the wear and tear it takes.  That said, it is too early to start looking for a replacement for Ramos.

There is no way we get what morse is worth in a trade so we should just hold on to him.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #797: October 28, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »
and leon, solano, and flores.  I personally feel that catcher is a position that you should never devote to any one player long-term, because of the wear and tear it takes.  That said, it is too early to start looking for a replacement for Ramos.

There is no way we get what morse is worth in a trade so we should just hold on to him.

You are over-valuing Morse then.  Vega had a great post saying straight up for Morse you end up with something like what the Nats got for the Hammer.  The lefty arms are also power arms that Slateman suggested and are still a bit raw.  The Nats have shown with a few pitching prospects now that the minor league system they have seems to bode well for cultivating pitching talent. 

The young catcher is a good option because Flores and Solano are not young.  Flores will not even be with the team next year.  Suzuki will not be retained after next season.  That leaves you with Ramos and Leon, and no one else really coming up.  Slate already stated the upside with McCann being a defensive elite catcher.  His bat needs to develop.  He would be a good addition to a team whose catching depth is aging.

Honestly Morse alone could be enough for one arm and the catcher.  If you add in Clippard you may have a chance to swing for the other, or more realistically, a RHP.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #798: October 28, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
I'm overvaluing a .300 hitter who can hit 30+bombs?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #799: October 28, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
I'm overvaluing a .300 hitter who can hit 30+bombs?
He also is very injury prone, has one year left on his contract, and is bad defensively.