Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 417178 times)

Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #550: May 26, 2008, 09:43:38 AM »
Hi

I am a Montrealer who had season tickets behing the dugout. Since 2004 I go every year to the sping training. Some must know me, my son and I are always wearing our blue Expos BP jerseys. We go to DC every year, in 2006 and 2007 we were sitting behind the Nats dugout for the last homestands.

I am also the president of Encore baseball Montreal, who tried (and obviously did not succeed) to keep the Expos in Montreal. We have a french board with 600 members, and a core of 50-60 active members.

No... the baseball is not dead in Montreal.

Since we are still folowing our Ex-Expos, we root for the Nats and some teams were former Expos plays. Our favorites are Schneider, Wilkerson and Carroll.

I will not write posts every day, but I will follow your board. Keep up the good work and good luck for the rest of the 2008 season.

Greetings. I think I have seen you at Spring Training the past two years. I remember a father and son combo wearing Expo uniforms. Do you happen to be the ones that came away with a broken bat this Spring Training?

I remember that same combo coming out of a Spring Training game this year carrying a broken bat (I believe possibly Nick Johnson's because he shattered a bat that game).

Welcome to the boards and your experiences involving Encore Baseball would be great to hear.

Offline Culdejat

« Reply #551: May 26, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »
Yes... we are the ones you are talking about. The broken bat was laying in the dugout and my son asked the usher (we've known him for years) if he can have it.

Over the years we gathered a nice collection of game-used stuff given to my son by the players themselves.

Here is a picture of us on the very last game at RFK last year

MrMadison

« Reply #552: May 26, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »
Hi.  Been lurking on occasion and may post on occasion.  Many of you know me from the MLB board (for better or worse.)  The other board can be a ghost town, so I've been trying to decide whether to join WNFF or Ballpark Guys.  Looks like you guys win.   :D   

the BPGers would *love* you.

no joke. they are your kinda people.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #553: May 26, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
Welcome Culdejat

I'm sure some of us here can relate to a bunch of people wanting to keep their baseball team (Senators '71).  Can also relate to wanting to get a team back (for 33 years!).  So although I'm glad the NATS are here, I understand your pain.

Sorry, but I was one of those campaigning to get a team here.  In '04 I got a custom made Expos Jersey.  I was wearing it at Camden Yards when it was announced that the Expos were coming here:

Offline Culdejat

« Reply #554: May 26, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
Actually I feel that you guys didn't take anything. We had a team and both the fans and the business community couln't careless about it. So at the first real occasion, it moved to DC.

I even heard while in DC, that President Bush desperately wanted a team so he can go and watch a game once in a while.

You know if the most powerfull man in the world wants something... nothing ca stop him !

As you saw, the money for the stadium is there, the Lerner wrote a JUICY cheque and there you go...

What can we do in Montreal... 10 000 real fans who gather a Billion bucks ? Forget it...

One day, a rich American will think "hey how come a huge market like Montreal doesn't hava a MLB franchise ?" and we might be lucky.

Till then, I have no choice but to travel around america...

Hey CALSGR8 ... nice shirt !!!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #555: May 26, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
Thanks.  When I was a kid and the Senators left I became an Orioles fan because it was the next closest team.  I wore that T-shirt a lot in 04.  Shot a picture of it with me looking over my shoulder with the Camden yards field and scoreboard in the background (trying to convice I could support both teams at the time).  When writing letters to Selig and Angelos, I attached a color copy of the picture.  I at least got a "form" response from Selig for my enthusiasm for wanting a new team.  Angelos.... Nothing.

I got both positive and negative responses to my T-shirt at Camden Yards.

Once an O's fan.  NOW a NATS fan!  Go NATS!

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #556: May 27, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »
Hi

I am a Montrealer who had season tickets behing the dugout. Since 2004 I go every year to the sping training. Some must know me, my son and I are always wearing our blue Expos BP jerseys. We go to DC every year, in 2006 and 2007 we were sitting behind the Nats dugout for the last homestands.

I am also the president of Encore baseball Montreal, who tried (and obviously did not succeed) to keep the Expos in Montreal. We have a french board with 600 members, and a core of 50-60 active members.

No... the baseball is not dead in Montreal.

Since we are still folowing our Ex-Expos, we root for the Nats and some teams were former Expos plays. Our favorites are Schneider, Wilkerson and Carroll.

I will not write posts every day, but I will follow your board. Keep up the good work and good luck for the rest of the 2008 season.

Welcome Culdejat. I'm an original Expos fan myself. I loved the Expos, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I was thrilled to see them moving so close to my home. I was only able to see the Expos when they played in Pittsburgh. I was a big Gary Carter fan, but switched to Tim Wallach after Carter left for New York.

AnnieSavoy

« Reply #557: May 27, 2008, 02:42:42 PM »
Welcome all newbies from a fellow newbie!

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #558: June 01, 2008, 01:10:37 PM »
Yes... we are the ones you are talking about. The broken bat was laying in the dugout and my son asked the usher (we've known him for years) if he can have it.

Over the years we gathered a nice collection of game-used stuff given to my son by the players themselves.

Here is a picture of us on the very last game at RFK last year
(Image removed from quote.)

Glad you guys seem to be having a goodtime. Welcome aboard!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #559: June 05, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »
I live in Massachusetts, but I follow the Nationals as best as I can.

Whereabouts?

I'm originally from Orleans.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #560: June 11, 2008, 08:59:07 PM »
Hello WNFF!

I am a recent graduate from James Madison University (in Harrisonburg, VA for those that do not know) and have mostly confined my message board experiences to the Redskins boards.  I was stuck with a malfunctioning computer for the last year or so (college budget) and as a result have been mostly absent from the internet community during that period.  I was a huge baseball fan as a kid, but became disillusioned with the game during the labor strike.  I have since come to realize that no sport is protected from greed and hence my reasons for boycotting the game were weak at best.  When the Nats came to DC in 2005, I suddenly became reinvigorated with a love for the game and have followed the team since.
    You guys will find me to be somewhat of an optimist, something I attribute to my youth, but I also see myself (maybe wrongly) as a realist.  I try to make it to as many games as I can each year (usually 4 or 5) and while it may not be many, I have watched nearly every game on MASN (especially in the last two seasons) as a way to unwind after work.  For some reason I have always been interested in prospects and as a result I follow the minor league teams to the best of my ability and attend P-Nats games occasionally.
    I look forward to posting and sharing my opinions with all of you guys.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #561: June 11, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »
Hello WNFF!

I am a recent graduate from James Madison University (in Harrisonburg, VA for those that do not know) and have mostly confined my message board experiences to the Redskins boards.  I was stuck with a malfunctioning computer for the last year or so (college budget) and as a result have been mostly absent from the internet community during that period.  I was a huge baseball fan as a kid, but became disillusioned with the game during the labor strike.  I have since come to realize that no sport is protected from greed and hence my reasons for boycotting the game were weak at best.  When the Nats came to DC in 2005, I suddenly became reinvigorated with a love for the game and have followed the team since.
    You guys will find me to be somewhat of an optimist, something I attribute to my youth, but I also see myself (maybe wrongly) as a realist.  I try to make it to as many games as I can each year (usually 4 or 5) and while it may not be many, I have watched nearly every game on MASN (especially in the last two seasons) as a way to unwind after work.  For some reason I have always been interested in prospects and as a result I follow the minor league teams to the best of my ability and attend P-Nats games occasionally.
    I look forward to posting and sharing my opinions with all of you guys.

Great first post.  Welcome! :clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #562: June 12, 2008, 07:58:45 AM »
You guys will find me to be somewhat of an optimist, something I attribute to my youth, but I also see myself (maybe wrongly) as a realist. 

Whether you are an optimist tempered with realism, or a realist tinged with optimism, welcome!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #563: June 13, 2008, 11:40:41 PM »
That's what we need. More Optimism.  See Optimism thread!   :thumbs:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #564: June 18, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »
Scarcely a day goes by that we don't get a new member or two.  And yet, this thread is eerily quiet......

Offline saltydad

« Reply #565: June 18, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »
Scarcely a day goes by that we don't get a new member or two.  And yet, this thread is eerily quiet......

I think some folks just take a bit of time to put their toe in the water. But try us, folks, the water's fine!

Offline Sniper 1

« Reply #566: July 02, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »
Hi folks.  I'm a 49 y/o Nats fan from Damascus, Md.  I was at the last Senators game in 1972 (I was 14 y/o and one of the thugs that rushed the field in the ninth inning.  Did you know that the outfield foul lines are actually 2 x 4's recessed into the ground? I found that out that night when I pulled a piece of it up).  I never thought it would be decades before we ever saw another MLB home game.

I use the name Sniper 1 as a tribute to my father who was a sniper in WWII.  It has nothing to do with me, even though I am a veteran myself (Navy 1976-1982).

I am still excited about having a team back in DC even though the '08 version is a tremendous disappointment.  I'm only hoping now to see some kids called up that can make a difference in 2010. We're stuck with some dead weight on the roster until then.

Thank you to whoever approved my membership today, I've been hoping to find a busy BB for Nats fans.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #567: July 02, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
... We're stuck with some dead weight on the roster...

We're kind of in the market for a sniper, to deal with some of that dead weight, now that owning firearms for self-defense is legal in DC.  Assuming that it's legal to shoot a ball player who is obviously dead already...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #568: July 02, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
Hi folks.  I'm a 49 y/o Nats fan from Damascus, Md.  I was at the last Senators game in 1972 (I was 14 y/o and one of the thugs that rushed the field in the ninth inning.  Did you know that the outfield foul lines are actually 2 x 4's recessed into the ground? I found that out that night when I pulled a piece of it up). 

Do you think that's still the case? I wish I had known this back in '06 when we got to go on the field for the picnic at the park. I would've checked it out. Welcome Sniper 1.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #569: July 03, 2008, 09:36:32 AM »
Hi folks.  I'm a 49 y/o Nats fan from Damascus, Md.  I was at the last Senators game in 1972 (I was 14 y/o and one of the thugs that rushed the field in the ninth inning.  Did you know that the outfield foul lines are actually 2 x 4's recessed into the ground? I found that out that night when I pulled a piece of it up).  I never thought it would be decades before we ever saw another MLB home game.

Welcome Sniper.  I'm 49 (not much longer) and was at the last game too, although my father hustled us out of there when things got anarchic.  My friend Pete got a chunk of sod, I got nothing.   :?

One thing you'll learn here, if you make the teensiest weensiest little mistake, someone is sure to bring it up quick.  I bet if you check the dates again, you'll find the last game occured in 1971  :shock:, when you were 13, same as me.    :P

Offline Sniper 1

« Reply #570: July 03, 2008, 12:32:40 PM »
Welcome Sniper.  I'm 49 (not much longer) and was at the last game too, although my father hustled us out of there when things got anarchic.  My friend Pete got a chunk of sod, I got nothing.   :?

One thing you'll learn here, if you make the teensiest weensiest little mistake, someone is sure to bring it up quick.  I bet if you check the dates again, you'll find the last game occured in 1971  :shock:, when you were 13, same as me.    :P

Ouch ...... you got me Tom!  So much for my credibility.......

Happy (early) Birthday.  I'll only be 49 for two more days myself.  The darn AARP actually sent me a membership application two days ago.  The nerve ..............

Offline saltydad

« Reply #571: July 03, 2008, 04:03:19 PM »
Welcome Sniper 1 to the board, and to the wonders of being fifty. (I wish I was still in my fifties.) You'll find us always ready for a good discussion.

Offline oldsenatorsfan

« Reply #572: July 09, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Hello. 

It has been a year an a ha;f since I first signed on this board, but I have not posted here except for my initial post and I am repeating that below (slightly modified).

My name is Robert and I live in Fairfax.  I have been retired for many years.

I saw my first Senators game in 1946 or '47; its hard to be exact.  I remember Mickey Vernon was the first baseman at the time; he was later traded to Cleveland with Early Wynn.  Later on Eddie Yost became my favorite and I watched as many games as possible from the third base side of old Griffith Stadium.  After high school, college and military service, I continued to attend several games each year until Short moved the expansion team to Texas.  I was very angry that I could not take my sons to watch baseball games in my home town, and refused to support Baltimore because I perceived their management as blocking baseball's return to DC. 

Now the Nats are back.  I have been to several games each year; my oldest son took me for Fathers Day the first year, and again the next.  It may be the making of a tradition.  I look forward to seeing many games over the years I have left.  I also travel to Potomac a few times a year to see the youngsters down there.

I have been a regular "lurker" (I think that is the term) on the MLB board for several years, but the childishness of many of the posters there leaves much to be desired.  As a result, I am moving my attention over here.l

I won't contrbute much or often, but hope you will read it when I do

Thanks

Old Senators Fan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #573: July 09, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »
Welcome back to the "other" side, OSF.   :clap:

Hope you find some smileys that are to your liking.    ;)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #574: July 09, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »
...I continued to attend several games each year until Short moved the expansion team to Texas.  I was very angry that I could not take my sons to watch baseball games in my home town, and refused to support Baltimore because I perceived their management as blocking baseball's return to DC.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: