Author Topic: CAPS Week 13: Dec 26 - Dec 30  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Dave B

CAPS Week 13: Dec 26 - Dec 30
« Reply #25: December 28, 2006, 11:21:45 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
I had totally awesome seats!   :twisted:   I was in the second row right behind the Capitals penalty box.  The Comcast late night replay is showing the Wizards instead of the Caps so I have no idea if I got on TV.  If any of you saw a guy in a Nationals cap & blue hoodie sweatshirt banging on the penalty box glass after the Brashear fight - that was me.   :lol:

Very good crowd for a mid-week game!  Almost every seat in the lower 100s and the uppers were filled.  And believe it or not - this wasn't due to a whole lot of Habs fans.  That being said, I sat next to a guy who had just come down from Montreal for the game & see AO.  We had a great conversation about the Expos and our new Nats and he told me some great Hab stories.  Really cool guy.

(Image removed from quote.)

Saw the Brasheat fight on youtube. He f-ed that guy up.  He was jerking him around  at first figuratively then literally.

I thought that guy had a bad rep near the end in philly of not wanting to fight. Maybe he didnt like his teamates, like that douche Roenick. He definitely seems willing to fight this year. Started slowly though.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #26: December 29, 2006, 12:47:18 AM »

The fight was one of the best I've seen as far as being a one-sided ass-kicking.  I was lucky enough to witness it from only the second row.  I checked the Youtube films and the damn TSN coverage breaks as he's getting in the penalty box to showing pre-game footage of Brashear at practice wearing a leg warmer.  There was just me and this other guy with a Caps jersey banging on the glass as he sat down and took his helmet off and we were screaming our frickin heads off.  :twisted:

Even the Habs fan next to me said, "I think there's no doubt on who won that one".  :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #27: December 29, 2006, 06:21:56 AM »
Caps Start Back-to-Back Set in Jersey
Dec. 29 vs. New Jersey Devils at Continental Airlines Arena
Time: 7:30 pm
TV: NC8/CSN Plus
Radio:  WTNT 570 AM

New Jersey Devils (20-13-3)
Washington Capitals (16-14-7)

The Capitals head north to New Jersey for their first road date with the Devils this season. The Friday night game at Continental Airlines Arena is the front end of a back-to-back set of road games, the Caps? fifth set of back-to-back contests in a span of just 23 days. After this weekend, Washington has just one set of back-to-back tilts in a 34-day span.

The Caps lost both ends of a back-to-back set earlier this week, dropping a pair of three-goal decisions to Buffalo and Montreal, respectively. Washington is 1-4 in its last five games, but has won four of its last five road contests. However, the swamps of northern New Jersey have not been kind to the Caps in recent seasons.

Washington is 0-3-3 in its last six visits to New Jersey, and the Caps have not won a road game with the Devils since claiming a 3-1 triumph on Mar. 28, 2002. The Capitals have been outscored 19-7 in those last half dozen visits to the swamplands.

A win in New Jersey would enable the Capitals to accomplish something they have not been able to do in 15 years. Washington is on the verge of playing .500 or better hockey for each of the first three months of the season for the first time since 1991-92. The Caps went 4-3-4 in October and 6-6-2 in November. They?re 6-5-1 thus far in December.

Back in 1991-92, the Caps played .500 or better hockey in each of the first three months of the season and stood at 25-13-1 heading into the New Year.

If the Caps can manage a .500 or better record for the month of December, it would be the fourth straight month in which they did so. Washington closed out the 2005-06 season with a 5-3-2 month of April.

With the second half of the season just around the corner, the Caps remain in contention for a playoff berth. The Capitals are third in the Southeast Division standings and are in a four-way tie for eighth place in the Eastern Conference standings with 39 points.

A rugged patch of schedule and some untimely blueline injuries have done the Capitals no favors in their quest to move up the tightly packed Eastern Conference standings, but a four-game homestand and some off days loom for Washington just beyond this weekend.

The path between Washington and its AHL affiliate in Hershey has become well worn recently, and the trend continues. The Caps reassigned defenseman Jeff Schultz and winger Jonas Johansson to Hershey on Thursday, and defenseman Timo Helbling joined the Caps in New Jersey on Thursday. Helbling, a 25-year-old veteran of six pro seasons in North America and Europe, played nine games with the Tampa Bay Lightning last season, the sum of his NHL experience to date.

Going into Thursday night?s NHL activity, the Caps feature the league?s 15th best power play. Washington has scored on 17.2% of its man-advantage opportunities this season. The Capitals are 19th in the league in penalty killing with a kill rate of 81.6%.

The Caps and Devs met exactly one week ago in Washington with New Jersey prevailing, 4-1. It was the first meeting this season between the two old Patrick Division rivals.

Since then, the Devils absorbed a 5-2 loss to Atlanta and blanked the Penguins. The shutout over Pittsburgh come on Tuesday, and it was the 85th of netminder Martin Brodeur?s NHL career. He has passed Hall of Famer Glenn Hall and is now third on the NHL?s all-time list in that category.

Despite the overhaul of the NHL?s economic system, changes in the way the game is played and changing personnel in the New Jersey organization, the Devils remain a button-down defensive outfit that makes its opponents claw and scratch for quality scoring chances.

The Devils recently allowed 30 shots on goal or more in five consecutive games, the last of which was last Friday?s 4-1 win over Washington at Verizon Center. According to Elias Sports Bureau, it marked the first time the Devils allowed 30 or more shots in five straight games since they permitted 30-plus in six consecutive games back in February of 1994.

New Jersey?s power play has clicked on 19.2% of its chances this season, the seventh best rate in the NHL. The Devils are 10-for-35 (28.6%) with the extra man in their last seven games.

The Devils are third in the league in penalty killing with a kill rate of 88.2%. New Jersey has killed off all 18 of its shorthanded situations in its last five games and is 50-for-55 (90.9%) on the penalty kill in its 13 December games to date. The Devils have not allowed any power play goals in 10 of their 13 games this month.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #28: December 29, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
(Image removed from quote.)

The fight was one of the best I've seen as far as being a one-sided ass-kicking.  I was lucky enough to witness it from only the second row.  I checked the Youtube films and the damn TSN coverage breaks as he's getting in the penalty box to showing pre-game footage of Brashear at practice wearing a leg warmer.  There was just me and this other guy with a Caps jersey banging on the glass as he sat down and took his helmet off and we were screaming our frickin heads off.  :twisted:

Even the Habs fan next to me said, "I think there's no doubt on who won that one".  :lol:

Give it a couple days and check google video for the complete game video. it takes them a couple of days to a week to get it uploaded

Brashear looked like he choked that guy

"is donald brashear gonna have to choke a nag"

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #29: December 29, 2006, 10:40:42 PM »
lol Brashear kicked the crap out of him thats awesome. Have fun kicking the $h*t out of the Rangers tomorrow night. 7 straight losses, 151 minutes without a goal. Thank god I'm gonna be at work so I don't have to watch it. My final score: 3-0 caps.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #30: December 29, 2006, 11:17:01 PM »
New Jersey 4
Washington 3

Gomez, Devils win sixth straight against Capitals

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Scott Gomez was picture perfect for the New Jersey Devils, scoring two goals with the help of video reviews.

Gomez had his first multigoal game of the season and added an assist to lead the New Jersey Devils to a 4-3 victory over the Washington Capitals on Friday night.

"They were both replay goals, so you never know what's going to happen," Gomez said. "You've got your bench telling you one thing, but it's all up to the people upstairs. Sometimes you get a little lucky."

Sergei Brylin also scored, Patrik Elias had a goal and two assists, and Martin Brodeur made 32 saves for New Jersey.

The Atlantic Division-leading Devils stretched their winning streak to two with their sixth straight victory over the Capitals. New Jersey is 11-1-1 in the last 13 games against Washington.

"It's one of those nights where you have to work hard to win," Devils coach Claude Julien said. "I think our team gave a good effort against a team that wasn't going to quit."

Lawrence Nycholat had a goal, his first in the NHL, and added an assist for the Capitals. Brooks Laich had a power-play goal and Alexander Semin scored with 45.6 seconds remaining for the Capitals. Washington has dropped three straight, and has one win in its last six games.

Nycholat and Gomez scored first period goals.

Nycholat, recalled from the minors four games ago, got his first NHL goal at 5:25. The defenseman took a pass from Alex Ovechkin and drilled a shot from the left faceoff dot past Brodeur.

"It's a pretty special thing," said the 27-year-old playing in only his 13th game. "I'm pretty happy about it. It would have been nicer if we won the game."

Gomez pulled New Jersey even with 1:07 remaining with a snap shot from the bottom of the right circle that went in -- and out of -- the net so fast that it had to be confirmed by a video review.

"It's got a sound when it hits the inside bar," Gomez said. "I pointed that it was in. Going back to the bench I thought to myself I hope that's in because the guys will ride me if it's not. It would be embarrassing."

In the second, Brylin and Gomez scored to give New Jersey a two-goal lead before Laich cut the Devils advantage to 3-2.

Brylin backhanded Brian Rafalski's rebound past Olie Kolzig for a power-play tally at 6:22. Gomez scored his second goal at 13:31, and it also went to a video review. Brian Gionta took a hard shot and Kolzig made a pad save. The rebound bounced in off Gomez' leg. That triggered a review that determined Gomez did not deliberately kick the puck into the net.

Gomez played coy as to how the puck went in.

"I can't really tell you," Gomez said. "I was just going to the net and it kind of bounced off me."

Laich deflected Nycholat's point shot by Brodeur at 16:50.

Elias, set up perfectly by Gomez, scored at 6:43 of the third to give the Devils a 4-2. Gomez took a booming slap shot that rebounded off Kolzig's pads back to Gomez. Instead of shooting again, Gomez spotted Elias in the left circle and fed him a pass for the insurance goal from a sharp angle.

It proved crucial as Semin scored in the closing seconds after Washington pulled Kolzig for an extra attacker. The Capitals pressed for the equalizer in the final seconds but Brodeur fended them off.

"It wasn't to be," Kolzig said. "They're an opportunistic team and they capitalized on some rebounds. We played hard and we can't hang our heads but at the same time, it's another loss."

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #31: December 29, 2006, 11:23:21 PM »
DAMNIT!  Another loss!  Caps have caught Nat disease.   :x

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #32: December 29, 2006, 11:37:13 PM »
Wow, the Caps were on fire, and now this...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #33: December 29, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »
Brutal stretch for the team. 6 games in 9 nights and all the injuries added on. We played pretty well today, but still couldn't win. We need a win tommorow.

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #34: December 29, 2006, 11:58:27 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Brutal stretch for the team. 6 games in 9 nights and all the injuries added on. We played pretty well today, but still couldn't win. We need a win tommorow.

You'll get it. Don't worry.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #35: December 30, 2006, 12:09:52 AM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"

Don't be too optimistic now  :lol:

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #36: December 30, 2006, 01:04:40 AM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"

Haha, its hard to be optimistic with the way the Rangers are playing now.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #37: December 30, 2006, 08:31:49 AM »
win this and then against the canadiens.  And january should be pretty easy. one against philly, the habs, two against ott, the rest SE

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #38: December 30, 2006, 12:39:24 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"

Haha, its hard to be optimistic with the way the Rangers are playing now.

When half our team is sick, it's hard to be optimistic for the Caps.
We have 4 guys who are straight from the AHL playing tonite on D. We're screwed vs Jagr (last game Shaone Morrisonn owned Jags, ShaMo is sick tonite)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #39: December 30, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »
Ailing Caps Hope to Get Well Saturday
Dec. 30 vs. New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden
Time: 7:00 pm
TV: CSN
Radio:  WTNT 570 AM

Washington Capitals (16-15-7)
New York Rangers (18-17-4)

The Capitals close out the calendar 2006 portion of the schedule on Saturday in the same place they opened the 2006-07 season on Oct. 5: at Madison Square Garden against the Rangers.

Washington is weary, worn and under the weather coming into Saturday?s game. The contest against the Rangers is the Capitals? fourth in five nights and sixth in nine nights. The severity of the schedule pales in comparison to the stomach virus that has ravaged the Washington locker room in the last few days.

With four players already out of the lineup because of various injuries, several others took ill after the team arrived in New Jersey on Thursday for Friday?s game with the Devils. Three of the sick (defenseman Steve Eminger and forwards Matt Pettinger and Brian Sutherby) did not play on Friday, and those three may need to get well in a hurry to replace others who played through sickness on Friday but may not be able to answer the bell on Saturday.

Despite the adverse circumstances, the Caps gave New Jersey all it could handle in a 4-3 loss on Friday. It was Washington?s sixth straight loss to the Devils overall and extended the Caps? winless streak in New Jersey to seven straight (0-4-3).

Also among the ill is goaltender Brent Johnson, who was originally slated to make the start in Friday?s game against the Devils. Olie Kolzig went instead, and will have to start again on Saturday against New York. It will be the first time Kolzig has started games on back-to-back days in almost exactly one year. The veteran Washington netminder last started games on consecutive days on Dec. 31, 2005 (against Philadelphia) and Jan. 1, 2006 (against Atlanta).

Washington got off to a 5-1-1 start in December, but is 1-5 since. If the Caps can manage to pick up a point in Saturday?s game against the Rangers, it would mark the first time Washington has opened the season by playing .500 or better hockey in each of the first three months since 1991-92. The Caps went 4-3-4 in Oct. and 6-6-2 in Nov. of this season (the Caps were 5-3-2 in Apr. 2006, the final month of the 2005-06 campaign). Washington went 25-13-1 in the first three months of the 1991-92 season.

The Caps are seeking their first win over the Rangers in New York since Jan. 28, 2004, five days after Washington dealt winger Jaromir Jagr to the Rangers.

Washington?s power play ranks 16th in the NHL with a 17.3% success rate. The Caps are 20th in the league in penalty killing with a kill rate of 81.5%.

With 40 points, the Rangers are in ninth place in the Eastern Conference standings, one point ahead of 10th-place Washington. The Rangers and Caps have split their two previous meetings this season, with each team winning on its home ice surface. The Rangers downed the Caps at Madison Square Garden in the season opener on Oct. 5, but the Caps returned the favor at Verizon Center on Nov. 11.

New York is 9-11-3 since coming into Washington last month while the Caps are 10-10-3 over the same span.

The Rangers come into Saturday?s game dragging a seven-game losing streak. New York has been blanked in each of its last two games, including a 1-0 shutout at the hands of the Senators in Ottawa on Friday. The Sens? Daniel Alfredsson scored just 32 seconds into that contest, and that was all the scoring for the night for both clubs. New York has been outscored by a combined 29-11 during the life of its current losing streak.

The losing streak is New York?s longest since it went 0-5-0-3 from Mar. 12-25, 2004, immediately after the trading deadline that season. The consecutive blankings are the Rangers? first since Oct. 11-16, 2003.

Henrik Lundqvist was in goal for the Rangers on Friday, but he could pull double-duty and get the start against Washington on Saturday. Backup netminder Kevin Weekes has abysmal career numbers (2-13-1, 2.87 GAA) against the Capitals.

New York is 12th in the NHL in power play prowess with a 17.9% conversion rate. The Rangers are 18th in the league in penalty killing with a kill rate of 81.7%

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #40: December 30, 2006, 07:47:41 PM »
2-0 Rangers so far after 1st period.   :(

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #41: December 30, 2006, 10:13:23 PM »
Final at Madison Square Garden

Washington 1
New York 4

NEW YORK (AP) -- Petr Prucha scored two goals to help the New York Rangers snap a seven-game losing skid and end a scoreless streak at 153:38 in a fight-filled 4-1 win at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night.

The game featured two of the more fatigued squads in the NHL with the Rangers playing their eighth game in 15 days and the illness-ravaged Capitals playing for the fourth time in five nights. Washington, with several players in uniform despite a stomach virus that's swept trough their locker room, has lost four in a row and failed to generate much of an attack for most of the game.

Michael Nylander and Darius Kasparaitis also scored for the Rangers. Ben Clymer had the Capitals' score.

The win snapped the Rangers' longest losing streak since the franchise dropped eight in a row from March 12-25, 2004, and kept the Capitals from jumping past them and into the ninth spot in the tightly packed Eastern Conference standings.

A chippy game throughout, things boiled over in the third period with the Rangers ahead 3-0. Brendan Shanahan and Washington tough guy Donald Brashear, who earlier tangled with Colton Orr, fought at center ice midway through the period under chants of "Shanny! Shanny!"

On his way to the penalty box following the fight, Brashear, motioning as if he was dusting off his hands, punched Ward in the face when it appeared the Ranger defenseman said something in his direction.

Brashear received a 5-minute fighting penalty, in addition to a match penalty for intent to injure, while Shanahan got 5 minutes for fighting and Ward 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

With 4:20 left in the game, Ovechkin was leveled by Orr with a high, open-ice hit that earned a charging penalty and a fight with Shaone Morrissonn.

The Rangers scored for the first time since before Christmas less than 2 minutes into the game when Prucha scored his seventh goal of the season on a rebound at the left post. The goal was the Rangers' first since the second period of a 4-3 loss at Tampa on Dec. 23.

Prucha, on a line with Shanahan and Matt Cullen, made it 4-0 late in the third period before Clymer snuffed out Henrik Lundqvist's shutout bid with less than 3 minutes to play. Lundqvist, who was shaken up on a third-period collision but remained in net, made 22 saves.

Nylander, who helped to set up Prucha's first goal by getting the puck to the point as he was leveled by Ovechkin, made it 2-0. His 13th of the year and third in the last 11 games came off a quick pass from Martin Straka from behind the Washington cage at 13:25 of the first.

Kasparaitis made it 3-0 when he snapped Jaromir Jagr's centering pass past Olaf Kolzig's blocker from between the circles with less than a minute left in the second. The goal was the defenseman's second of the year.

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #42: December 30, 2006, 11:29:36 PM »
Wow. Good day for NY against washington. I cannot believe Shanny fought Brashear, I'm really happy about that. Didn't get to see the replay yet though.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #43: December 31, 2006, 12:11:05 AM »

You were wrong.

However, if you are going to be wrong about something...  :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #44: December 31, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
Wow. Good day for NY against washington. I cannot believe Shanny fought Brashear, I'm really happy about that. Didn't get to see the replay yet though.

Colton Orr sucks. A legit cheapshot on AO to the face and only a 2 minute penalty and somehow AS ends up in the box (he can't even speak english!) and you get a powerplay.

Those refs can go jump off a cliff.

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #45: December 31, 2006, 03:03:19 PM »

Colton Orr sucks. A legit cheapshot on AO to the face and only a 2 minute penalty and somehow AS ends up in the box (he can't even speak english!) and you get a powerplay.

Those refs can go jump off a cliff.

The refs sucked both ways and you know that. Yeah it was a cheapshot, but then what do you call Brashears sucker punch on Aaron Ward? Just as bad IMO. And you know what, the league is looking into suspensions/fines in both cases.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=190394&hubname=nhl

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #46: December 31, 2006, 03:33:57 PM »
Colin Campbell is a former Rangers coach. I bet Orr gets a medal and Brash gets like a 20 game suspension.

The refs were even until the last 10 minutes of the game. Ejecting Brash and only giving Orr 2 minutes is unbelievable. Orr was more of an intent to injure than Brash was.

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #47: December 31, 2006, 04:28:18 PM »
Colin Campbell is a former Rangers coach. I bet Orr gets a medal and Brash gets like a 20 game suspension.

The refs were even until the last 10 minutes of the game. Ejecting Brash and only giving Orr 2 minutes is unbelievable. Orr was more of an intent to injure than Brash was.

Your point on Campbell makes no sense, thats just the sore loser inside of you coming out  :twisted:

As for the refs , they missed alot of calls on the Caps as well, Orr only got two minutes yeah, but he'll sure as hell be suspended.

:roll:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #48: December 31, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »
Suspended, maybe, but not even close to what Brash will get. Why does Brash get a penalty when he comes in after Gordon got hit from behind into the boards and the Rangers guy gets the first 2 punches in? Because of his name. Orr doesn't have the reputation Brash has and they'll give Brash way more for the fact that he's him. Orr gets maybe 5 games and a fine. Maybe 5. Probably 3.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #49: December 31, 2006, 05:04:32 PM »
Shanny talks about tough guys in the game...

And check out this GREAT channel 9 sports commercial!  HA HA HA HA!   :lol: