Author Topic: 2010 MLB Draft Gameday Thread  (Read 16354 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: 2010 MLB Draft Gameday Thread
« Reply #300: June 09, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
San Jacinto lost more men to MLB than they did to Santa Ana.

Is this San Jack south? :crazy:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #301: June 09, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
Houston, what's the scoop on John Simms? He's a Rice commit... but the Nats just drafted him.

Any good info on him?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #302: June 09, 2010, 02:53:25 PM »
Houston, what's the scoop on John Simms? He's a Rice commit... but the Nats just drafted him.

Any good info on him?

Nope. I can tell you about a Rice guy we late grabbed yesterday, though: Chad Mozingo, outfielder. He was our leadoff hitter for most of the year, no power at all but was plenty able to get himself on base and poke singles into the outfield. Good fielding, mostly center and right. Didn't get to see his arm much, though. Apparently he had an ankle problem recently, but it shouldn't be major. Not somebody I would ever expect to contribute in the big leagues, but who knows, right?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #303: June 09, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
I'm assuming Simms is either not that big of a prospect, or he is, but dropped because no one thought they could sign him.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #304: June 09, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »
Nope. I can tell you about a Rice guy we late grabbed yesterday, though: Chad Mozingo, outfielder. He was our leadoff hitter for most of the year, no power at all but was plenty able to get himself on base and poke singles into the outfield. Good fielding, mostly center and right. Didn't get to see his arm much, though. Apparently he had an ankle problem recently, but it shouldn't be major. Not somebody I would ever expect to contribute in the big leagues, but who knows, right?

This is what I love about the MLB draft- the only sport where you take a guy for purely orgizational depth. Could you imagine the Redskins taking a guy and hoping he can to contribute to the practice squad? They really should consider shortening the draft again

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #305: June 09, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
This is what I love about the MLB draft- the only sport where you take a guy for purely orgizational depth. Could you imagine the Redskins taking a guy and hoping he can to contribute to the practice squad? They really should consider shortening the draft again

Why? You still need tons of players to fill out your system. They'd still be signed one way or another, either through FA, or late rounds in the draft.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #306: June 09, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
Why? You still need tons of players to fill out your system. They'd still be signed one way or another, either through FA, or late rounds in the draft.

I just wouldn't mind more free agents. Especially for the guys who will get drafted but never offered a contract, it might allow for better fits between player and team. You still need a draft to help distribute talent, but after say 15 rounds, where even making the majors is rare, why not just let players sign with whoever will take them? At least it's not as bad as it used to be with GMs taking their kid's friends in late rounds

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #307: June 09, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »
The Arizona Diamondbacks drafted Northwestern State University right-handed pitcher Ryan Zimmerman. :lol:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #308: June 09, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »
Detroit Tigers took Justin Verlander's little brother Ben.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #309: June 09, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
The Arizona Diamondbacks drafted Northwestern State University right-handed pitcher Ryan Zimmerman. :lol:

We drafted another Zimmerman either last year or the one before, but he didn't sign with us.  Soon will rival the Molina family for baseball heritage.    :lol:

Offline Section214

« Reply #310: June 10, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
rd. 14 - Timothy Smalling -SS - Va Tech

Well, looks like middle infield and pitching is the focus...
Don't want to pick on the kid but I went to about 5-10 VT baseball games this year and I don't remember seeing him do anything positive in any of them... Obviously Rizzo and co. knows something I don't but I was shocked when his name came off the board.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #311: June 10, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
to help keep track of who's been signed...

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #312: June 10, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »
Tim Smalling is a former Arkansas Razorback who couldn't handle the heat of being part of one of the nation's premiere programs and ran away. He said "it didn't feel right". No, he just didn't like the Razorbacks were stacked in middle infielders and Dave Van Horn was all over him for underachieving. He left after a disappointing season that ended in a regional. We ended up year after going to the College World Series and winning a couple games without him.