Author Topic: ATTENTION ALL WASHINGTON NATIONALS FANS: IT’S TIME TO TAKE BACK THE PARK!  (Read 56853 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
OK, I will make you a bet that attendance will not decrease..you know, the original point of this whole diatribe from time.com.

Position only.  The Nats could screw me by doing 30 $1 games.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

My work here is done then. :cheers:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
They still would screw it up. They only drew about 21K at the dollar game last year.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
"Within the MLB, the Nats are notorious for bleak attendance numbers. Last season they ranked 20th of all pro teams, with a total of 1.9 million attendees, compared to the Phillies, who ranked first with 3.6 million. And if the deliberate attempts to keep out Phillies fans persist, the Nats’ attendance will likely plummet further, ultimately driving down the franchise’s revenue. By next season, “Take Back the Park” could easily become “Give Back the Park.” "

From http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/06/washington-nationals-launch-initiative-to-keep-phillies-fans-away/

Do you think this is what Feffer and the Nats "braintrust" had in mind?

Not the PR they wanted, but the dummy who wrote that piece did zero research.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Not the PR they wanted, but the dummy who wrote that piece did zero research.

Any press is good press to the Nats.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Which one?  And the dolla section was full, saw several WNFFers there.  Who cares whether 513 is full on a Monday night.

They still would screw it up. They only drew about 21K at the dollar game last year.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Which one?  And the dolla section was full, saw several WNFFers there.  Who cares whether 513 is full on a Monday night.

That Monday night Pirate game - drew about 21k. My point is that they could have had 25-30k that night, but cut off the dollar sales. They had a designated amount, sold those and stopped the promotion. Typical Nats though, btpy the time the media picks it up, the Nats have sold the allotted amount and don't/cannot take advantage of the rare, positive publicity.

Offline Baseball is Life

http://m.wusa9.com/sports/article?a=189166&f=232

The local media has been uniformly positive. This was a master marketing stroke by Fluffer.

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- The first few days of the Nationals' "Take Back the Park" promotion have been a success for the team. It's sold thousands of tickets to a May series against the Phillies and hopes to sell thousands more.

In the first five days of the pre-sale the team has had an "unbelievable response." Nationals Chief Operating Officer Andrew Feffer said "thousands of fans have purchased tickets."

The Nationals want to bring some swagger back to their ballpark when those dastardly Phillies fans invade. "This is Washington," Feffer told 9NEWS NOW. "This is our town, our fans, our park, and now it's our time with this team and it's about time we did something [about Phillies fans coming to Nationals Park]."

The team is holding a pre-sale of tickets to the May 4-6 series against the Phillies. For a limited time, only people with a credit card linked to an address is Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia, along with season ticket holders, will be eligible to purchase tickets to the series. The games available include a national ESPN game on Sunday, May 6 at 8:05pm. The special pre-sale will continue at Nationals.com/ourpark until single-game tickets go on sale to the general public in March.

The Nationals took the season series from their NL East rival in 2011, 10 games to 8. But each game at Nationals Park looked and sounded like a home game for the Phillies. Thousands of Philadelphia fans were seen in the stands and heard cheering their players.

Some Nationals fans choose not to attend home games against the Phillies because of the invading hordes. Feffer agrees: "I'm tired of seeing Phillies fans... every year in our ballpark," he said.

Feffer pointed to the recent signings of pitchers Gio Gonzalez and Edwin Jackson as reasons for Nationals fans to be optimistic for a chance at contending in the National League East.

Last year, the Nationals were 44-36 at home. They were 36-45 on the road, giving them a season record of 80-81. That clinched third place in the National League East, 21.5 games behind the Phillies. The Nationals had the same 10-8 winning record against the Phillies and Mets. They were 9-9 against the Braves and 7-11 against the Marlins.

The Nationals' home opener is Thursday, April 12 against the Cincinnati Reds.

Written by Dan Guzman

9NEWS NOW & wusa9.com

Offline Baseball is Life

:lmao:

BiL is a clown.

I wear your insult like a badge of honor. :mg:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
The local media has been uniformly positive. This was a master marketing stroke by Fluffer.

The local media has been uniformly clueless. In these articles, no one mentions that the Nats have already sold hundreds (thousands?) of tickets to Philly tour groups. No one mentions that this pre-sale doesn't guarantee a ticket sold to a Nats fan, just a ticket sold to a local who may either be a Phils fan already, or be willing to resell it to the highest bidder.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The local media has been uniformly clueless. In these articles, no one mentions that the Nats have already solds hundreds (thousands?) of tickets to Philly tour groups. No one mentions that this pre-sale doesn't guarantee a ticket sold to a Nats fan, just a ticket sold to a local who may either be a Phils fan already, or be willing to resell it to the highest bidder.

Give him credit though, he at least called Feffer Fluffer, though that may have been a Freudian slip on his part.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ended up buying 12 tickets.  Only 2 for the Phillie fan in my group. They whack you with a convenience fee of $6 pe rseat on top of the seat cost, so it ends up a little more expensive than my season seats. S & S Club, which is good for the SSS'ers!   No LoD allowed!

For those who want to give me grief about buying seats for a Phillie fan, he's part of my ticket group, so he has the same rights as everyone else who ponies up money in our group.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
:lmao: @ all those Philly rags trying to play the innocent victims and pretending to be offended.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
All this press is exactly what Fluffer wanted.

He doesn't care who's in the park as long as it's filled.

Offline HalfSmokes

All this press is exactly what Fluffer wanted.

He doesn't care who's in the park as long as it's filled.

this is the best case scenario for him. Step 1. do group sales to Philly fans. Step 2. implore local fans to 'take back the park.' Step 3. sell remaining tickets to philly fans who were provoked by step 2

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
This had me in stitches:

“The fewer tickets that land in the hands of out-of-towners mean fewer hotel rooms used, possibly fewer people eating at restaurants and likely fewer cars paying for parking, according to tourism experts. That likely means less tax money for the District.”

Hotel rooms?  Those pukes can't afford to move out of their parents' basements. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Tourism experts?

this is the best case scenario for him. Step 1. do group sales to Philly fans. Step 2. implore local fans to 'take back the park.' Step 3. sell remaining tickets to philly fans who were provoked by step 2

Step 4: Massive brawls at Nats Park.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Tourism experts?

Step 4: Massive brawls at Nats Park.

That would actually be awesome.  At least then they'd be forced to truly do something about the situation.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
This had me in stitches:

“The fewer tickets that land in the hands of out-of-towners mean fewer hotel rooms used, possibly fewer people eating at restaurants and likely fewer cars paying for parking, according to tourism experts. That likely means less tax money for the District.”

Hotel rooms?  Those pukes can't afford to move out of their parents' basements. 

Just for the heck of it, I went onto the Marriott site and priced rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott just by Nats Park, for the weekend of the first Phillies series (4th-6th May)...rooms start at $189 a night if you're booking the full series (check-in 4th, check-out 6th, 2-night weekend stay).

...yeah right, those louts would blow that much just on a hotel room. Besides, bus trippers don't stay in hotels.

[For something really preposterous I also priced the J.W. Marriott downtown - try $449/night. Couldn't you imagine a super-posh, power hotel like that with all those bozos puking and passing out and starting fights with A-list conventioners on the deep-carpeted floors...pricey furniture flying out the windows...major incidents when louts in torn T-shirts and jeans and with massive body odour get refused seating in the jacket-and-tie restaurants....]

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Everyone please buy tickets to the ESPN game.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Everyone please buy tickets to the ESPN game.

I'd say there's no way they'll road trip to a game on a Sunday night due to work obligations on Monday... but come on, we all know they don't have jobs!

Offline ¡Vamos Ramos!

Lol, if these fools had any money they wouldn't need to come down to DC to watch a game.