Author Topic: the MLB Network thread.  (Read 45482 times)

MrMadison

Re: the MLB Network thread.
« Reply #75: January 01, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »
I think they need to just go on and cancel Baseball Tonight.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #76: January 02, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
No because I get ESPN ok, but to get MLB I have to sign up for Digital Network at around 17 more dollars a month.  No thanks!  Can't at this time.

MrMadison

« Reply #77: January 02, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
No because I get ESPN ok, but to get MLB I have to sign up for Digital Network at around 17 more dollars a month.  No thanks!  Can't at this time.

MLB should be on basic cable, you should be getting it for free.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #78: January 03, 2009, 04:25:43 AM »
I called my Comcast in Manassas and they said it was only on Digital Cable.

MrMadison

« Reply #79: January 03, 2009, 04:29:56 AM »
I called my Comcast in Manassas and they said it was only on Digital Cable.

oh yeah, digital cable.

but you are gonna have to switch to digital cable anyway. all cable is going digital in feb.

Offline blue911

« Reply #80: January 03, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »
oh yeah, digital cable.

but you are gonna have to switch to digital cable anyway. all cable is going digital in feb.

All over the air broadcasts have to switch to digital in February.

« Reply #81: January 03, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
Wilmington, NC was the guinea pig for the U.S. concerning digital cable. We have been completely switched to it since early Sept. All and all, I think it sucks. Too much digitization, especially if a storm comes over, and you gain some channels but also lose some.

It will be a work in progress. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #82: January 03, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »
For those of you with direct tv, is it on your guide? I get MLB on 213, but its not in the quide

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #83: January 04, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »
For those of you with direct tv, is it on your guide? I get MLB on 213, but its not in the quide

It is on my guide.  But it didn't show on  my guide until the 2nd.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #84: January 04, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »
I hope they have a highlight show like NHL On The Fly. It sounds like they might.  Just show like a 3 minute highlight clip from each game then talk about it. No narration, just the game's PBP.  Who was the freaking genius who thought we needed highlights narrated? Maybe back in the day you needed it to describe the situation, but now with the scoreboard and any other necessary situational information plastered on the screen, it is unnecessary.  I think the NHL network stumbled on this accidentally. They are kinda budget and dont seem to have any high priced ego talent so they just show videos with some analysis later

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #85: January 04, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »
I hope they have a highlight show like NHL On The Fly. It sounds like they might.  Just show like a 3 minute highlight clip from each game then talk about it. No narration, just the game's PBP.  Who was the freaking genius who thought we needed highlights narrated? Maybe back in the day you needed it to describe the situation, but now with the scoreboard and any other necessary situational information plastered on the screen, it is unnecessary.  I think the NHL network stumbled on this accidentally. They are kinda budget and dont seem to have any high priced ego talent so they just show videos with some analysis later
QFT. I hate narration and much prefer just hearing the PBP clips from the actual announcers. NHL Network rocks.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #86: January 04, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
Ugh, freaking remind me that I don't get the NHL Network any more. :(

But yeah, I totally agree with that.  I love the feel of highlight clips with no narration and spliced soundbytes from the players/announcers.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #87: January 04, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »
What does everyone think so far?

Quite frankly, this network could air footage of Vin Scully mixing Ensure every other half-hour and I'd still love it, but I have a mixed opinion so far.

It's definitely more balanced than BSPN, but it's still a tad Red Sox/Yanks-heavy, so far.  It's understandable since that's what a lot of baseball fans care about, but I hope that day or so of ongoing Red Sox World Series highlights doesn't become too common of an occurrence.

Hot Stove is alright, but unfortunately for them, the hot stove is pretty cold at the moment.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #88: January 04, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »
What does everyone think so far?

Quite frankly, this network could air footage of Vin Scully mixing Ensure every other half-hour and I'd still love it, but I have a mixed opinion so far.

It's definitely more balanced than BSPN, but it's still a tad Red Sox/Yanks-heavy, so far.  It's understandable since that's what a lot of baseball fans care about, but I hope that day or so of ongoing Red Sox World Series highlights doesn't become too common of an occurrence.

Hot Stove is alright, but unfortunately for them, the hot stove is pretty cold at the moment.

I get the sense they're reaching for an audience right now and when they get the numbers they'll lay off the Frat Sox and Empire and show more of the other 28 teams.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #89: January 05, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »
I get the sense they're reaching for an audience right now and when they get the numbers they'll lay off the Frat Sox and Empire and show more of the other 28 teams.

Here's hoping.  So far, it was pretty much Yankees/Red Sox/Cal Ripken, with Bud Selig commenting every now and then.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #90: January 05, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
Here's hoping.  So far, it was pretty much Yankees/Red Sox/Cal Ripken, with Bud Selig commenting every now and then.

That's pretty much what mlb radio is, minus Selig

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #91: January 06, 2009, 09:09:58 AM »
Anyone watch the "Epic Moments" show from 8:00 - 10:00 last night?  I thought that was a well done show.  Nothing but historic highlights as shown originally on television or heard on the radio.  No smarmy studio host, no professional actor voice-over, just how the action unfolded and how it was called by the original broadcasters. 

That might have been the best sports-historic show I've ever watched.  I loved the way the Network decided to just let the action speak for itself.

A+

MrMadison

« Reply #92: January 06, 2009, 09:13:59 AM »
MLB Network so far, is doing the job really well.

I like how they spent like 20 minutes discussing arbitration, and the arbitration process on the Hot Stove show, and I was even impressed with their little bit regarding the Nats when they were talking about the NL East.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #93: January 06, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »
MLB Network so far, is doing the job really well.

I like how they spent like 20 minutes discussing arbitration, and the arbitration process on the Hot Stove show, and I was even impressed with their little bit regarding the Nats when they were talking about the NL East.

I expect a lot more of this as the season goes on.  I love how they're really putting forth an effort to cover every team. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #94: January 06, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
Where do I find this MLB Network?  Comcast is my cableco.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #95: January 06, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »
according to the website, channel 280

MrMadison

« Reply #96: January 06, 2009, 10:47:20 AM »

channel 280.

MrMadison

« Reply #97: January 06, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »
oh, i fell asleep during Prime 9 last night, who was 1-4 on the list of CFers?

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #98: January 06, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »
It's replayed a lot, but it was Mantle, Speaker, Cobb, and Mays, 4-1 in that order. (I think)

I'm getting gradually more impressed with the overall programming.  Hot stove has been getting better.  Utilizing Rays announcer Joe Magrane was a good idea.  He's the best analyst they've had in there so far, IMO.  Mitch Williams said something about the Marlins having "good" defense and Magrane totally called him out on that falsehood.

MrMadison

« Reply #99: January 06, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
oh yeah..i fell asleep right in the middle of them talking about Tris Speaker. heh.