Author Topic: P-Nats Hot Stove Banquet this weekend  (Read 619 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
P-Nats Hot Stove Banquet this weekend
« Topic Start: January 11, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »
This from the P-Nats site.  Not mentioned in the article, there will be an autographed Ovechkin hockey stick among the items available for purchase.

WOODBRIDGE, Va.-The Potomac Nationals 13th annual Hot Stove Banquet and Silent Auction will be held on Sunday, January 13, 2008, at the Hyatt Fair Lakes in Fairfax, Va. from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. The silent auction and cocktail hour will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by a seated dinner and program featuring keynote speaker Stan Kasten, President of the Washington Nationals.

The Potomac Nationals will also welcome the team's 2007 manager, Randy Knorr, and Player of the Year Matt Rogelstad as special guests. Additionally, the club will be presenting the annual Fan and Employee of the Year awards and honor the Prince William County High School Baseball and Softball Players of the Year.

Every year, the Potomac Nationals receive donations for the silent auction from minor league and major league baseball teams, NFL, NBA and MLS organizations and various Potomac Nationals sponsors. All proceeds from the silent auction will benefit the American Cancer Society.

Keynote speaker Stan Kasten was named President of the Washington Nationals on May 3, 2006 after simultaneously serving in the same capacity with the Atlanta Braves, the NBA's Atlanta Hawks, and the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers - becoming the first person to do so. In November of 1979, Kasten was named General Manager of the Hawks and at age 27, became the youngest GM in NBA history. He joined the Braves in 1987 and was instrumental in the club's unprecedented run of 12 straight division titles from 1991 to 2003 including the 1995 World Series Championship. In 1999, Kasten was announced as President and Governor of the Thrashers during the team's inaugural season.

Now entering his second full season with the Washington organization, Kasten has already made an impact as the club prepares to open Nationals Park in April. The Lakewood, N.J., native has set out to build the Nationals franchise using Three Pillars: scouting and player development, enhancing the fan experience, and community outreach. The New York University alum is married and has four children.

Randy Knorr recently completed his second season as manager of the Potomac Nationals and his third season overall as a minor league manager. The 39-year-old led the P-Nats to a 69-68 record in 2007, becoming the first Potomac club since 1998 to finish with a winning record and record 40 wins in a half after going 40-29 in the second half of the season. The team also became just the second full-season Nationals affiliate in the organization's brief three-year history to finish with a winning record joining the 2006 Triple-A New Orleans Zephyrs (72-71).

He guided the P-Nats to a 32-36 record in 2006 before being called up to Washington on June 16 to serve as the bullpen coach. In 2005 he managed the Savannah Sand Gnats of the Low-A South Atlantic League to a 62-76 record. Overall, Knorr is 163-180 as a manager in three minor league seasons.

The former catcher was originally selected by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 10th round, 263rd overall, of the 1986 June draft. He played in parts of 11 seasons at the Major League level for Toronto, Houston, Florida, Texas, and Montreal. The California native had a .226 career batting average with 24 home runs and 88 RBI in 253 big-league games including playing in one World Series game for the 1993 World Champion Blue Jays.

Matt Rogelstad was named the Potomac Nationals 2007 Player of the Year after batting .302 and hitting a career-high four home runs with 50 RBI. Acquired from the Seattle Mariners on March 26, the 25-year-old led the team in hits with 122 and was second in games played with 113 in his first season with the Washington Nationals organization. The Canadian finished the season with a 10-game hit streak and played five different positions including all four spots on the infield.

Tickets for the Hot Stove Banquet are $35 per adult and $18 per child and only available in advance. To reserve your seat at the banquet, please call Doug McConnell at (703) 590-2311 ext. 215 or e-mail dmcconnell@potomacnationals.com no later than January 9, 2008.

Season tickets and ticket packages for the upcoming 2008 season are on sale now! For more information, call the Nationals ticket office at (703) 590-2311 ext. 215. The P-Nats kick off the 2008 season on the road against the Salem Avalanche on April 4 and celebrate Opening Day at Pfitzner Stadium on April 8 against the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.

natsfan1a

Re: P-Nats Hot Stove Banquet this weekend
« Reply #1: January 11, 2008, 08:57:48 AM »
Hey, Tom, that reminds me. I'm holding your Randy Knorr bobblehead in reserve for the next get-together.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: January 11, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »
Hey, Tom, that reminds me. I'm holding your Randy Knorr bobblehead in reserve for the next get-together.

So far, about all I could scrounge up is a Ryan Zimmerman anti-drinking poster in good condition.  Any appeal?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: January 11, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »
Anyone here going to go to this?

natsfan1a

« Reply #4: January 11, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
That's okay. I can just donate it to your family's collection! :)

So far, about all I could scrounge up is a Ryan Zimmerman anti-drinking poster in good condition.  Any appeal?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: January 11, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »
Anyone here going to go to this?

I'd like to, but have a substantial lobbying effort ahead of me.  It's probably not going to happen.

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: January 11, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
Same here, and my husband is supposed to have an all-day fishing trip tomorrow...

I'd like to, but have a substantial lobbying effort ahead of me.  It's probably not going to happen.