Author Topic: Justin Maxwell anybody?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline CJames0569

Justin Maxwell anybody?
« Topic Start: July 07, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
Can anyone tell me if Maxwell is still on the DL and if so when is he expected to be back? Also is there any chance that he comes back before Milledge or Dukes are healthy and they call him up?

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
Re: Justin Maxwell anybody?
« Reply #1: July 07, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I believe his still on the DL, and I'm almost positive they won't call him up as soon as he's healthy again. They probably want him to get back into a groove in the minors before they throw him into the fire.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #2: July 07, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »
Anyone know how his glove/defense is?  I know he can hit a ton, keeps his average respectable, but he seems large to be a OF'er. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: July 07, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
I think he was in the outfield for one of the spring training games on ESPN, let's just say his arm was mediocre at best.  (assuming it was Maxwell I'm thinking of).  He did hit an absolute bomb that game, but his arm strength left quite a bit to be desired.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: July 07, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »
Maxwell is fast, covers plenty of ground, and is a very good all-around athlete.  He was quite impressive for the Nats last season when called up.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: July 08, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »
Maxwell is fast, covers plenty of ground, and is a very good all-around athlete.  He was quite impressive for the Nats last season when called up.

You make him sound like Nook Logan though. He has power potential.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #6: July 08, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »
I think he was in the outfield for one of the spring training games on ESPN, let's just say his arm was mediocre at best.  (assuming it was Maxwell I'm thinking of).  He did hit an absolute bomb that game, but his arm strength left quite a bit to be desired.

I saw him at a Potomac game last season and twice he had very weak throws, it was almost disheartening to watch.  One of the throws was from near-shallow center to home and resembled more of a lob than anything, eventually landing closer to the pitchers mound than the home plate.  He ended getting two hits that game and Potomac won, so I overlooked those two plays, but I will never forget them.  Hopefully, he has been working on his throwing and/or that was just an off day for him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: July 08, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »
That's exactly what the throw in ST looked like.  It went way up and looked like he airmailed the catcher.  It actually ended up coming right to the plate and nailing the guy but i think it was more because the runner stopped running assuming the throw was going to the back stop.  All I could think at the time was he got lucky.  Big leaguers will pick up on that quickly and take extra bases on him non-stop.  It was a D- arm at best. 

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #8: July 08, 2008, 03:03:58 PM »
Can anyone tell me if Maxwell is still on the DL and if so when is he expected to be back? Also is there any chance that he comes back before Milledge or Dukes are healthy and they call him up?

Yes he lives there...But to be honest this was his year and he started off well! But as usual he finds a way to get injured. If he was healthy right now he'd probably be playing CF for the Nationals instead of Bernadina. But he continually gets injured like he's made of glass. The organization can not depend on guys like that, you see our situation at 1B I honestly think they've learned their lesson. I doubt you ever see Maxwell at the ML level with the Nationals.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #9: July 08, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
I do not think he will recieve a call-up sooner than September. He is a future piece we need to be patiet on. The only chance he gets a sooner than September call-up is if he gets really hot.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #10: July 08, 2008, 06:56:46 PM »
I do not think he will recieve a call-up sooner than September. He is a future piece we need to be patiet on. The only chance he gets a sooner than September call-up is if he gets really hot.

I think it is less a question if he gets hot and more of a question of if he is healthy.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #11: July 08, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
I think it is less a question if he gets hot and more of a question of if he is healthy.

QFT. When healthy, he's the most MLB-ready prospect that we have.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #12: July 08, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »

correction: the most MLB-ready hitting prospect. I'd make the case that Clippard and Mock are more MLB ready.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: July 08, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
correction: the most MLB-ready hitting prospect. I'd make the case that Clippard and Mock are more MLB ready.

You'd lose that case. :D

I wouldn't make that correction.

MrMadison

« Reply #14: July 08, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

lemme beat spidernat to this one:

:?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #15: July 08, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

That "smiley" should be included in every post. We are the :?'s this season.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: July 08, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »

QFT

That "smiley" should be included in every post. We are the :?'s this season.

double QFT  :? :?

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #17: July 08, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »

Idk I'd argue Daniel as a more MLB-ready hitting prospect and he has a much better track record when it comes to health.

How's he going to get a call-up if he can't even touch the field. Maxwell usually starts out slow add to the time it takes him to get adjusted I doubt he makes it up. But first we gotta see when he gets back on the field.

My question to all the Maxwell lovers is, is he still part of the Nats future?

Milledge, Dukes, and Daniel are all younger than Maxwell. Dukes, Milledge have higher cielings with a better health record than him. So he won't be taking either of their jobs. We need a big time power bat in the OF guess who that is? Burgess, who at this rate will be in Potomac when Maxwell is still in Harrisburg next year. Kearns will still be there and Daniel will need his cup of coffee sometime. Where does Maxwell fit in.

Plus we can't even trade him for Max value until he actually stays healthy for a season until then he'd be getting traded for below market value due to injury risks. So where does he fit?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #18: July 08, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
Maxwell is only 25. He hit well in short time last year - .269, 2 HR, 5 RBI. We'll see once he's healthy.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #19: July 08, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
Maxwell is only 25. He hit well in short time last year - .269, 2 HR, 5 RBI. We'll see once he's healthy.

I thought he was 25, too. He's actually only 24.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #20: July 08, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Idk I'd argue Daniel as a more MLB-ready hitting prospect and he has a much better track record when it comes to health.

It's close. The only reason I'd rather see Maxwell here is b/c, IMO, he looked pretty good in his short stint w/ us last season. He looked ready.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #21: July 08, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »
Maxwell has much more potential than Daniel to be a better MAJOR LEAGUE player, but sure he hasn't proven that he can stay injury free.  I don't think you give up on the guy... yet.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #22: July 08, 2008, 09:11:41 PM »
Maxwell has much more potential than Daniel to be a better MAJOR LEAGUE player, but sure he hasn't proven that he can stay injury free.  I don't think you give up on the guy... yet.

Give up on the guy as a player. No, but I've given up on his future with the Nats I'd say thats definetly in doubt, especially after he hasn't stayed healthy once again. As I said earlier Dukes and Milledge are better players and younger. Daniel and Kearns are both more dependable. Burgess will provide the power needed in the OF whenever he's ready so where does he fit into the plan?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #23: July 08, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »
Give up on the guy as a player. No, but I've given up on his future with the Nats I'd say thats definetly in doubt, especially after he hasn't stayed healthy once again. As I said earlier Dukes and Milledge are better players and younger. Daniel and Kearns are both more dependable. Burgess will provide the power needed in the OF whenever he's ready so where does he fit into the plan?

I'd say his future with the Nationals has been suspect since they accquired Milledge and Dukes this offseason.  Where does he fit in, as a fourth outfielder that can play all three spots, that hit for power if need be and that can also serve as a pinch hitter/runner.  I am projecting him a bit into this spot, but his performance last yea with the Nats proved that he can, at least, be somewhat successful.  I will not deny that Dukes and Milledge are the guys of the future, but neither have proven themselves as consistent.  So far Milledge went on a streak that lasted a few weeks and Dukes only hit well for the last month before he got hurt.  Burgess won't be up to the big leagues until 2010 and the Kearns experiment lasts as long as his contract, IMO, which is until 2009.  So for the next three years, I think we could use a guy like Maxwell, someone that scores runs and is the run being scored.  After that, maybe before, he will have increased his stock to that of at least a fourth major league outfielder, which is more valuable for someone about to turn 25 rather than worth as a starting center fielder for AA.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #24: July 08, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
I'd say his future with the Nationals has been suspect since they accquired Milledge and Dukes this offseason.  Where does he fit in, as a fourth outfielder that can play all three spots, that hit for power if need be and that can also serve as a pinch hitter/runner.  I am projecting him a bit into this spot, but his performance last yea with the Nats proved that he can, at least, be somewhat successful.  I will not deny that Dukes and Milledge are the guys of the future, but neither have proven themselves as consistent.  So far Milledge went on a streak that lasted a few weeks and Dukes only hit well for the last month before he got hurt.  Burgess won't be up to the big leagues until 2010 and the Kearns experiment lasts as long as his contract, IMO, which is until 2009.  So for the next three years, I think we could use a guy like Maxwell, someone that scores runs and is the run being scored.  After that, maybe before, he will have increased his stock to that of at least a fourth major league outfielder, which is more valuable for someone about to turn 25 rather than worth as a starting center fielder for AA.

I see what you saying but I just can't get past the whole health issue.

Staying healthy for a full season has been a problem even since he played for the University of Maryland. Injuries were the reason the Rangers were able to make him a 10th-round pick in the 2004 First-Year player Draft. Maxwell believed he was first-round material, so he stayed at Maryland.

In 2005, his last season with the Terps, Maxwell was limited to seven games because of a fractured bone in his hand. But the Nationals still drafted him in the fourth round that season.

In his first year of professional baseball, Maxwell missed more than a month because of a stress fracture in his right toe.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070312&content_id=1840362&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

He's been hurt atleast once every single year including college. M. Daniel seems more in the mold of a fourth OF to me, i.e. dependable. Maxwell is more starting caliber but thats if he's healthy, which is never. Maxwell I agree has potential but prospect wise dude is getting up their in age, yet he still hasn't played a full healthy season.