Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97246 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #150: January 09, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »
Maybe it's the water, I don't know. But I have yet to find a bagel here as good as in NY. Same with pizza.

Found some bagels in the Giant Food Frozen Section.  Ray's I believe.   Claim to be made in NYC.  I think they are pretty good.  Especially with Cream Cheese (light) or just with butter!  MMMM.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #151: January 09, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »
In no real order...

Best I've found for Bagels.
  • So’s Your Mom @ 1831 Columbia Road NW
  • Heller's Bakery @ 3221 Mount Pleasant Street NW
  • Bagels & Baguettes @ 236 Mass. Ave NE

Best I've found for Pizza.
  • Two Amys @ 3715 Macomb Street NW
  • Pizzeria Paradiso @ 2003 P Street NW
  • Alberto's @ 2010 P Street NW (Chicago Style): I think this is it. I usually metro and than walk there.
  • Some place in Laurel, MD that I cannot find online. Might be Lucero's Pizza.
  • Mario's Pizza & Subs @ 3322 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA: I think this is one. I usually go there with friends late at night.

Best I've found for Subs
  • Taylor Gourmet‎ @ 1116 H Street NE
  • A Litteri Inc @ 517 Morse Street NE (wholesale, worth the trip for Italian products but limited hours). Try the new Chicken Parm

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #152: January 09, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
I used to be super into Pizza Boli's - don't know if the quality has lasted all these years.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #153: January 09, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
I used to be super into Pizza Boli's - don't know if the quality has lasted all these years.

YMMV. The ones near me are wildly inconsistent. When they are on, it is good. When they are off, it sucks. One of the best places for White pizza.

Now if I could only find a place with quality pizza blanco. I always end up making it myself from scratch with ingredients from the Florida market.

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
« Reply #154: January 09, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
Any of you ever read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain?  I'm about 3/4ths of the way through, it's one of the best books I've ever read.  It's a look into the sub-culture of professional kitchens, some of it is disturbing (don't eat fish on monday, don't order mussels, and don't ask for meat well-done), but mostly it's hysterical.

I've read it and loved it.  Afterwards I read the Ruth Reichl book about being a food critic in New York.  Then I read the one written by a waitress who was there when the 4-star Per Se opened in NY ("Service Included").  It was great reading all 3 perspectives from the NY dining scene.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #155: January 09, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »
third attempt at plaintains. i am getting there. boiled them this time.

gonna go to the food court and ask the guys at the Manchu Wok how they make theirs. hopefully they will tell me what i am missing....after they finish looking at me funny.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #156: January 09, 2010, 11:24:25 PM »
I  have a friend from Guyana.  They serve Plantains a few ways.  I can ask her if you want me too.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #157: January 09, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »
the ones i get from the mall that i love to eat are cut in chunks, dark and very, very soft. and it is sooooooo good. i make special trips to pg plaza just to get them.

and for the life of me, i can't make em like that..

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #158: January 09, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
Plantains rock. 

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #159: January 09, 2010, 11:55:26 PM »
The Cheesecake Factory has really good plantains. If I go there with my mom and my sister and either of them get the black pepper shrimp since they both love it, I'll have some of the plantains that come with it (or I may even order an extra side if I feel like it).

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #160: January 10, 2010, 12:08:10 AM »
Anyone know where to get a decent vietnamese sandwich in DC? They are big in Houston, with hipsters in New York, and apparently are fast food in CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nh_m%C3%AC

Wikipedia says Falls Church, but specifics would be good.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/05/AR2008020500888.html

So I've narrowed it to the Eden Center, but that's still a ton of choices.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #161: January 10, 2010, 12:16:20 AM »
Anyone know where to get a decent vietnamese sandwich in DC? They are big in Houston, with hipsters in New York, and apparently are fast food in CA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/05/AR2008020500888.html

There's a vietnamese restaurant in Damascus/Germantown...I think they have sandwiches. I can't remember, it's been like a year since I went there with my ex. They have a crapload of food, though...I feel like it's off 118 or 124. It's right next to a Popeyes and Pizza Hut I think...

Sorry I can't be more specific, I just remembered that there's a vietnamese place up there she always used to talk about and loved or whatever.

• babble on
« Reply #162: January 10, 2010, 12:45:18 AM »
Pho 14 near the Columbia Heights metro...guess what, the best Vietnamese food is no longer in the suburbs. 

Had soup there this morning, and it blows Pho 75 away.  Sandwiches and rice and noodle dishes all kick ass. 

http://www.dcpho14.com/

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #163: January 10, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
Anyone a fan of Crock Pots or "slow cookers" I believe is the generic term?  Any favorite recipes?  We got one last year to replace an ancient one, but it gets too hot and burns the food.  Just got a new one the other day so we'll see how that one works.  But what are some things to cook in it, other than the "beef stew" bag of stuff I got from the freezer aisle.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #164: January 10, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »
Anyone a fan of Crock Pots or "slow cookers" I believe is the generic term?  Any favorite recipes?  We got one last year to replace an ancient one, but it gets too hot and burns the food.  Just got a new one the other day so we'll see how that one works.  But what are some things to cook in it, other than the "beef stew" bag of stuff I got from the freezer aisle.

Again, my ex's mom made some awesome stuff from a crock pot (if I'm correct in thinking of what you're talking about)...one in particular: barbeque meatballs. freaking amazing.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #165: January 10, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »
They look like this

it's like a stoneware bowl inside a thing that heats it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #166: January 10, 2010, 01:45:40 AM »
Yes, she made barbeque meatballs in that. They were glorious.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #167: January 10, 2010, 01:51:37 AM »
Yes, she made barbeque meatballs in that. They were glorious.
The only thing I've made in one before is either meatballs or "lil' smokies" sausages and you put in some grape jelly and a bottle of chili sauce.  Usually for new years eve parties, super bowl, etc.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #168: January 10, 2010, 02:04:18 AM »
The only thing I've made in one before is either meatballs or "lil' smokies" sausages and you put in some grape jelly and a bottle of chili sauce.  Usually for new years eve parties, super bowl, etc.

There was a free slow cooker cookbook for Kindle, but it's 10 bucks now :(

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #169: January 10, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »
I'll use a crockpot to make the aloo (potato dish basically) that I like.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #170: January 10, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
recommendation for pizza - buon appetito in Chantilly next to k-mart.  To be honest, it's the best italian restaurant i've ever eaten in as far as food quality, even though it's a counter-service place.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #171: January 10, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »

we make beef stew in it all the time. 

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #172: January 10, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »

I'm using one right now to cook the beef for some chili tonight.

• babble on
« Reply #173: January 10, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »
The missus recently made a Thai chili peanut pork loin in the crock pot that was outrageously good over jasmine rice. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #174: January 10, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »
The missus recently made a Thai chili peanut pork loin in the crock pot that was outrageously good over jasmine rice. 

Damn!