Author Topic: Favorite sports team...  (Read 2648 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Favorite sports team...
« Topic Start: March 01, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »
What is your favorite sports team? 

How do you act while you watch the game?  (like do you go crazy with the celebrating after a win?  Are you a big sulker after a loss?)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Favorite sports team...
« Reply #1: March 01, 2012, 12:20:27 AM »
Toronto Raptors.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: March 01, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »
 :( :roll:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #4: March 01, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »
Like for me it's Maryland basketball. 

I'll do anything to make sure I'm watching a game.  If it's a big one, I'll get out of whatever it is I'm doing to watch it.  If they beat a top 25 team or win a huge road contest, I'm going nuts and it makes the time between the next game that much more enjoyable.  If it's a 2-point loss or a game they should've had, I'm depressed for days.  This year was a bit different b/c expectations weren't that high (i mean 7 scholarship players) and the future is really bright.  I've been lucky though because most of my life they have been really good and have made the postseason.

The only other teams that I can say I have the same feelings are for Nats and Skins.  Last year it was definitely Nats because of the improvement.  I can see this year being crazy, living on every game.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: March 01, 2012, 12:39:38 AM »
Nebraska football/basketball/baseball and the Nats. 

In the moment, during the game, I usually hang on every play, especially during big games.  Non-conference games, I might not get as worked up for, but big games, I get pretty wrapped up into. 

Believe it or not, though, I haven't sulked over a loss, regardless of sport, in nearly a decade.  It's not worth it.  I used to, though.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #6: March 01, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »
:( :roll:

was i supposed to give a serious answer? i think it's pretty obvious who my favorite is :lol: :P

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #7: March 01, 2012, 12:46:14 AM »
Nats.  They are the only sports team I even really follow all that closely.  I have a mild interest in the Ravens and the Skins, but for me, it's all about the Nats.  Ravens lose out on the last playoff game?  Damn, that blows.  If the Nats lose out in the playoffs?  WRBLGRBLBRBL :panic: :evil: :devil: :hang: :hang:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #8: March 01, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »
Jesus Fish n Chips (my fantasy football team)

When A.J. Green dropped that touchdown, that was like :dagger:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: March 01, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
In order of importance:
- Nasty Nats
- Miami Marlins
- Chicago Bears
- Chicago Cubs
- Oregon Ducks
- Virginia Tech Chokies

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: March 01, 2012, 01:09:30 AM »
If the Nats lose out in the playoffs?  WRBLGRBLBRBL :panic: :evil: :devil: :hang: :hang:

i think with the expectations so high for this season, there's going to be a lot of wild party nights (on and off the board) and hopefully just a few epic meltdowns (again both on and off WNFF).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #11: March 01, 2012, 01:10:06 AM »
Believe it or not, though, I haven't sulked over a loss, regardless of sport, in nearly a decade.  It's not worth it.  I used to, though.

that's impressive.  wish i could say the same.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #12: March 01, 2012, 02:00:03 AM »
that's impressive.  wish i could say the same.

I was a part of a religious group in college.  Every year over Christmas break, we would go to a huge convention.  5000 students from all across the country would gather there and we would have a great time.  In January 2002, Nebraska made it to the National Title game vs. Miami.  Miami was stacked, Nebraska got killed.  We had a group of about 20 of us that skipped the meeting that night to watch the game.  After the demolition was over, we were depressed.  Really upset.  We eventually made our way down to the lobby and there were thousands of students who didn't care about the game and were having a great time, playing games, making new friends, all that stuff.  It just sorta hit me that night that it wasn't worth it.  The game, as disappointing as it was, wasn't worth having a day, or night or weekend ruined.  I'll enjoy and live and die during the game, but once it was over, it was over. 

The closest I've ever come was after Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big XII title game, the one where they put the second back on the clock.  That one can still bring back the emotion.  I'll actually take rec league softball or volleyball games that I actually play in harder than Nebraska or Nats games.  I love my teams.  I love to follow them, I love to get into the daily minutia, but the result of a game will never ruin my day. 

Check back when we lose a game 7...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #13: March 01, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »
In order:

- Washington Nationals
- Washington Redskins
- Maryland Basketball
- A wash between Maryland Football and Washington Wizards

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #14: March 01, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
I like my teams all pretty much equally, but I never get emotionally invested. If the Nats lose a close game, I won't get upset about it; I'll just shrug and move on with my life. Sports are a lot of fun and following them is my main hobby, but the degree that I care is quite low. And for the record, my teams are the Nats, Royals, OKC Thunder, and Browns.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #15: March 01, 2012, 06:16:16 AM »

Offline Bloo

« Reply #16: March 01, 2012, 07:30:26 AM »
Deeeetroit Lions!

« Reply #17: March 01, 2012, 07:39:12 AM »
Washington Nationals
Arkansas Razorbacks (College Football)
Washington Capitals

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #18: March 01, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »
There's no team in the world I'd rather see win a championship than....

wait for it....

The Washington Nationals

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #19: March 01, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
Washington Nationals
 . . .
Cornell Big Red
 . . .
 . . .
 . . .
 . . .
A crap-load of other teams in a couple of different sports:  Capitals, Dodgers, Redskins, Saints, Astros, Blues

I actually have more teams that I hate than teams that I like.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: March 01, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »
Nats, colgate when they manage to get on Tv, then other local teams

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #21: March 01, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
ND football and Manchester City

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #22: March 01, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »
What is your favorite sports team? 

How do you act while you watch the game?  (like do you go crazy with the celebrating after a win?  Are you a big sulker after a loss?)

roanoke valley rebels.   

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #23: March 01, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
trff.net

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #24: March 01, 2012, 09:45:31 AM »
I think if I had a two big games on at once, I'd watch the Yale game before I'd watch any other team except for maybe the Red Sox.  Fortunately, the big games don't overlap much.  Maybe if we made the NCAA Frozen Four, I'd go there rather than watch the Red Sox opening day, but those aren't comparable.

I'm actually thinking I may pay more attention to the Nats this year than the Red Sox, but I'm guessing if they went head to head, I'd root for the Sox.

So:

Red Sox
Yale team sports
NE Pats
Nats
Rays

Then a big gap.

Favorite school that I did not attend - LSU.
Will always root for the Ivy in any NCAA tournament.
Also, I kind of like Harvard and BC hockey.  Even had season tickets to harvard when they lost to NoDak in the NCAAs back in 1983, I think.

It's not a Boston Laundry thing.  I don't really care too much about the C's because I don't care about the NBA, and while I enjoy the Bruins style, I can't say I care more about the NHL than ECAC Hockey or BC.