Author Topic: Favorite sports team...  (Read 2666 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Favorite sports team...
« Reply #25: March 01, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
So the Sawx and Nats meet in WS, you're pulling for Sawx
I think so.  It's very hard even when my head says to go for another team to not pull for the Sox when they are head to head. 

In 1997, when the Os were a playoff team going for a high seed, they went head to head with a bad Red Sox team that was between Roger and Pedro.  Complete noncontenders.  I went to OPACY thinking I'd root for the Os, especially since we had playoff tickets that we could get with our full season tickets.  At the park, Mo Vaughn popped a homer, and I started to clap.  I looked at my hands, and realized it was impossible to root against them. It's in my blood. 

Rationally, I might want to root for the Nats, and frankly, they are a much more interesting team for me that I follow more closely.  I just don't think I will.  It may be when I get there and I see JZ pitch out of a jam my hands clap out of habit.  Then I'll know I'm more of a Nats fan than a Sox fan. 

I'm generally not a negative fan.  It's just where I am attitudinally now.  Except for the Jets, I don't get happy when things go badly for other NFL teams.  In football and even in baseball, I just root for my team to take care of its business and figure if they can't, they don't deserve it.  It's how I can like the Rays and the Sox.  Until the head to head, I can do it.