Author Topic: Plan "B"  (Read 110685 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Plan "B"
« Reply #2825: February 02, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
Here's an article by Jay Jaffe, on the "myth" of the shrinking ballpark.  I note he's not really comparing to the era you are referring to above, but rather trying to debunk an argument that the surge in homers during the steroid era might be at least partially attributable to ballpark dimensions.

I can appreciate the work of Mr. Jaffe, but he is comparing 1990 to now (as you pointed out) and we (you, me and Boz) were talking Jackson and Killebrew who didn't play in 1990.

And I'm not buying his foul-outs theory.  I know you can't entirely blame it on smaller parks, but when you combine that with the lower mound and the much harder ball, they all factor in.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2826: February 02, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
Dunn doesn't even want to play here.  He wants to be on the Dodgers.  Who's the plan c fallback (who will eventually reject us for someone else like the others)?  :hang:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2827: February 02, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »
I seem to recall that there was this guy named...Miggy...Mary...oh yeah, Manny?  I think he might want to play with the Dodgers or something...and it might prevent Dunn from going there.

But I don't know - my memory is a bit foggy.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2828: February 02, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »
Undoubtedly.  I hear he calls a hell of a darn good game.  And then makes dinner afterward :lol:

Get it right Chief.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2829: February 02, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
I seem to recall that there was this guy named...Miggy...Mary...oh yeah, Manny?  I think he might want to play with the Dodgers or something...and it might prevent Dunn from going there.

Which highlights the desperation the Nats find themselves in.  We have to sit here and wait and watch while our desired guy expresses his love for someone else and twiddle our thumbs waiting to see if anything happens out in LA.  We ought to give him a deadline like the Sox did with Veritek and move on to plan c (which I suspect is rolling the dice with our present roster). :icon_frown:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2830: February 02, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »
Dunn doesn't even want to play here.  He wants to be on the Dodgers.  Who's the plan c fallback (who will eventually reject us for someone else like the others)? 

It seems to me to be part of the deal of being a bad team at the moment.  If he has no other options, signs here, turns out that the Nats might actually be headed in the right direction, his attitude could change too.  I mean honestly, if you were in his position, what would you do?  I know Washington probably wouldn't be my first choice, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do my best if I did play there.  If you look at it from a business side of things, it's bad business.  That's also why the Lerners and Co. will have to overpay at first.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2831: February 02, 2009, 01:19:27 PM »
O's trade a PTBNL to the Cubs for LHP Rich Hill.

:rofl: I guess they felt the need to get another young lefty prospect that doesn't live up to the hype since they traded Olson.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2832: February 02, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »
didn't hill have a real good 1/2 year like 2 seasons ago?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2833: February 02, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »
didn't hill have a real good 1/2 year like 2 seasons ago?
in '07 he had a 3.92 ERA in 195.0 IP.

Last year he was injured frequently and spent most of the year in the Minors where he fared terribly. 8.03 ERA in 3 starts in High-A Ball and a 5.88 ERA in 7 starts in AAA.

He's not even young either like I thought. He turns 29 next month.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #2834: February 02, 2009, 01:33:11 PM »
Which highlights the desperation the Nats find themselves in.  We have to sit here and wait and watch while our desired guy expresses his love for someone else and twiddle our thumbs waiting to see if anything happens out in LA.  We ought to give him a deadline like the Sox did with Veritek and move on to plan c (which I suspect is rolling the dice with our present roster). :icon_frown:

Basically you are saying that the Nationals are in the same position as almost every other team in the majors. Sitting around watching the Dodgers and Boras have a pissing contest so some of these other hundred or so free agents can sign.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2835: February 02, 2009, 02:03:41 PM »
The Orioles are clearly behind us in terms of development. It's not even a question. Just look at their potential starters this year. They have a cast of minor league bums and Major league duds that are going to compete for their rotation in the Spring. We did the same thing a few years ago. We invited a ton of guys to camp just to see who would stick. Now this year we only have like 6 or 7 guys that are going for the 5 starting spots. They have Guthrie and then this cast of characters:

Burres
Liz
Pauley
Hendrickson
Penn
Bass
Waters
Hennessey
Hill

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2836: February 02, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
LOL, a 29-year old that had one semi-decent year (fluke). wow.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2837: February 02, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
LOL, a 29-year old that had one semi-decent year (fluke). wow.
Are you talking about Guthrie?  He's actually had two very solid years in a row.

Also, the Orioles aren't as far behind as you think.  Tillman and Arrieta are in their system, and they're probably a better 1-2 than Zimmermann and Detwiler.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2838: February 02, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »
Are you talking about Guthrie?  He's actually had two very solid years in a row.

Also, the Orioles aren't as far behind as you think.  Tillman and Arrieta are in their system, and they're probably a better 1-2 than Zimmermann and Detwiler.

No, I'm talking about Hill. Gunthrie has been good.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2839: February 02, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »
D'oh, should've read the preceding discussion.

Rich Hill was a good pitcher before getting bitten by the injury bug last year.  It's highly likely that Piniella ran him into the ground.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2840: February 02, 2009, 03:08:11 PM »
Oliver Perez and the Mets agreed to a three-year, $36 million deal, sources told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick and 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand. The agreement was first reported by the New York Post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3879397

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2841: February 02, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
Why the freak do starting pitchers make so much money? :bang: It makes my blood boil to see someone like Oliver "throw as hard as I can without focusing on the strike zone" Perez make twice as much as a league average position player.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2842: February 02, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
That's ridiculous money for someone of that caliber.

MrMadison

« Reply #2843: February 02, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
That's ridiculous money for someone of that caliber.

at least they aren't being cheap.  :?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2844: February 02, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
at least they aren't being cheap.  :?

Exactly, it's not what you get but how much you spend that counts.  :lol:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2845: February 02, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
Exactly, it's not what you get but how much you spend that counts.  :lol:

I don't think JMad gets that. He insists that some of us here believe that throwing money at any player will instantly make them bad asses. As far as he's concerned we want them to spend money for the hell of it, irrespective of the player in question. He refuses to acknowledge the correlation between proven talent and the amount of money they command for their services.  :?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2846: February 02, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »
I don't think JMad gets that. He insists that some of us here believe that throwing money at any player will instantly make them bad asses. He refuses to acknowledge the correlation between proven talent and the amount of money they command for their services.  :?
Dunn is proven talent? I would have rather paid Hinske $1.5 Million for 1 year than $36 Million dollars for Dunn over 3 years. Both are similar in several ways except Hinske is far cheaper.

Throwing money at players just for the heck of it makes no sense. It has to be a sensible and wise move for both the short and long term.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2847: February 02, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
I don't think JMad gets that. He insists that some of us here believe that throwing money at any player will instantly make them bad asses. As far as he's concerned we want them to spend money for the hell of it, irrespective of the player in question. He refuses to acknowledge the correlation between proven talent and the amount of money they command for their services.  :?

I think he just likes to be a thorn in the side sometimes.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;) :icon_mrgreen:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2848: February 02, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »
Dunn is proven talent?

What are you dense? 40 homers a year, 5 years in a row is nothing in your books?  :spaz:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2849: February 02, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
Dunn is proven talent? I would have rather paid Hinske $1.5 Million for 1 year than $36 Million dollars for Dunn over 3 years. Both are similar in several ways except Hinske is far cheaper.

Throwing money at players just for the heck of it makes no sense. It has to be a sensible and wise move for both the short and long term.

I'm not sure how much credibility you had left sportsfan but it's dwindling with every post you make hating on Dunn. There has to be something more to this than meets the eye. The blind hatred sportsfan has for Dunn is beyond explanation. He doubts that Dunn has talent yet loves dudes like Bernadina or other minor leaguer who haven't even approached to coffee pot.  :?