Author Topic: Plan "B"  (Read 110866 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Plan "B"
« Topic Start: December 16, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
In case the Nats fail to get Teix, what would you like to see as the Plan "B" in terms of going out and getting bat(s) to improve our offense. 

The general consesus says we'll be after Adam Dunn AND Orlando Hudson.  Are you happy with that?

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/32807

Nats may pursue Hudson, Dunn
If the Nationals don't get Mark Teixeira -- and nobody actually thinks they will -- baseball sources indicate they will try to sign Orlando Hudson and Adam Dunn instead.

There's also some speculation the Nats could try for Manny Ramirez, or as one competing baseball executive put, "They may bail out Manny.''  That executive was referring to the seemingly slow market for the the free-agent slugger.

"We need a left-handed power hitter. That's what we need,'' one Nationals person said, explaining the pursuit of Teixeira, from nearby Severna Park, Md., and possible pursuit of Dunn.

The Nas' interest in Dunn is no surprise since GM Jim Bowden is known to be a fan of Dunn's from their days together in Cincinnati. As is the case with Dunn, Hudson's market doesn't appear to be developing as hoped. Originally, he sought a $50-million, five-year contract.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Plan "B"
« Reply #1: December 16, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
I'm ok with a Dunn/O Dog plan B - as much as a beast as Manny is with the bat -- I'd rather not go that route ... now if they want Manny/Dunn & O Dog ... well alrighty then :)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2: December 16, 2008, 01:49:34 PM »
I'm ok with a Dunn/O Dog plan B - as much as a beast as Manny is with the bat -- I'd rather not go that route ... now if they want Manny/Dunn & O Dog ... well alrighty then :)

i wouldn't call the lerners cheap if that happened 8)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #3: December 16, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »

Yes you would ... your head will explode if you don't call them cheap ...

MrMadison

« Reply #4: December 16, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »
I'm fine with Dunn as a Plan B to Tex, with or without Hudson.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: December 16, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
Yes you would ... your head will explode if you don't call them cheap ...

no really i think if we got two free agents (that would actually start for another mlb club) i would tone down the "Lerners Are Cheap" message I've been spreading for years.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #6: December 16, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
no really i think if we got two free agents (that would actually start for another mlb club) i would tone down the "Lerners Are Cheap" message I've been spreading for years.

You're ON!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #7: December 16, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »

I wouldn't. It's going to take more than one good offseason to sway my mind.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #8: December 16, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
I'm all for going after Dunn and Hudson. Hell, I would be happy if they did that today and forgot about Tex.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #9: December 16, 2008, 02:04:42 PM »
I wouldn't. It's going to take more than one good offseason to sway my mind.

NOT SO FAST.  all i said was i would TONE DOWN. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #10: December 16, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
NOT SO FAST.  all i said was i would TONE DOWN. 

:clap: Good to know you won't be totally abandoning your convictions.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #11: December 16, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »

Gonna have to tattoo a dragon on your forehead or something to cover your mantra

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #12: December 16, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
Gonna have to tattoo a dragon on your forehead or something to cover your mantra

well if they break the trend and start spending and spending and spending, i can alter the tattoo to say "The Lerners WERE Cheap" 8)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #13: December 16, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
I'll be pissed if we at least don't get Dunn, but I can live without O-Dog.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: December 16, 2008, 05:46:06 PM »
I'll be pissed if we at least don't get Dunn, but I can live without O-Dog.

I think there's a decent chance Anderson Hernandez is going to have a breakout season.  He's totally tearing up the winter league.

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: December 16, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »
I think there's a decent chance Anderson Hernandez is going to have a breakout season.  He's totally tearing up the winter league.

He's been playing some short also.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #16: December 16, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »

I think that's what the the FO is thinking, too. I don't see us picking up another second baseman. I do think we'll trade an outfielder or two for some pitching, though.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #17: December 16, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »
That's absolutely no reason not to acquire Hudson.

Odds are more than decent that either Guzman or Hernandez will not be up to snuff.  I'd like some depth.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: December 16, 2008, 06:09:07 PM »
 C - Flores, Nieves
1B - Dunn, NJ
2B - Hernandez, Belliard
SS - Guzman, Gonzalez
3B - Zimmerman
OF - Willingham, Dukes, Milledge, WMP, Kearns, Harris

Can you make a lineup with any 8 of these guys that wouldn't end up in the bottom ten in most offensive categories? Even if you switched Dunn w/ Tex, we'd still need a lot of help. I guess we're just hoping they all work out again. All I know is that Zimmerman needs to become a star next season.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #19: December 16, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »
He will be if he can get some help in the lineup. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #20: December 16, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »

It's funny, but I was just talking to a mets fan who was bemoaning this trade ... gotta love mets fans ...

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #21: December 16, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »
C - Flores, Nieves
1B - Dunn, NJ
2B - Hernandez, Belliard
SS - Guzman, Gonzalez
3B - Zimmerman
OF - Willingham, Dukes, Milledge, WMP, Kearns, Harris

Can you make a lineup with any 8 of these guys that wouldn't end up in the bottom ten in most offensive categories? Even if you switched Dunn w/ Tex, we'd still need a lot of help. I guess we're just hoping they all work out again. All I know is that Zimmerman needs to become a star next season.

Well hopefully both WMP/Kearns (or at least one of them) won't be in the picture next season.  And by the way if we get Dunn, I highly doubt NJ will be here (he said he doesn't want to be a backup).

The line-up isn't great, yeah.  Dunn hits more dingers than Teix, but Teix is an overall better player. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #22: December 16, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »
Well hopefully both WMP/Kearns (or at least one of them) won't be in the picture next season.  And by the way if we get Dunn, I highly doubt NJ will be here (he said he doesn't want to be a backup).

The line-up isn't great, yeah.  Dunn hits more dingers than Teix, but Teix is an overall better player. 

Dingers Dingers!

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #23: December 16, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »
Dunn- nay
Hudson- yay

i don't care what anyone says, i don't want a sub .240 hitter, strikeout machine, who plays putrid defense. he's also a terrible situational hitter. i found an UNBELIEVABLE stat about his inability to hit a simple sacrifice fly:

• Eleven times in history has a player hit three sacrifice flies in one game, including Chad Kreuter, and the last being Edgar Martinez in 2002. Then there's Adam Dunn, who has 15 sacrifice flies in his career, two more than Lee has this year. In 2004-05, Dunn went 1,085 plate appearances without a sacrifice fly. He had 65 chances -- runner at third base, less than two outs -- before he finally broke his streak with a fly ball to left field. The crowd at Great American Ballpark cheered him. Dunn raised his arms in triumph.

PATHETIC.

i believe watching Dunn fail as a National would be incredibly frustrating and frankly infuriating and not worth the occasional homer.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #24: December 16, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »
Dunn- nay
Hudson- yay

i don't care what anyone says, i don't want a sub .240 hitter, strikeout machine, who plays putrid defense. he's also a terrible situational hitter. i found an UNBELIEVABLE stat about his inability to hit a simple sacrifice fly:

• Eleven times in history has a player hit three sacrifice flies in one game, including Chad Kreuter, and the last being Edgar Martinez in 2002. Then there's Adam Dunn, who has 15 sacrifice flies in his career, two more than Lee has this year. In 2004-05, Dunn went 1,085 plate appearances without a sacrifice fly. He had 65 chances -- runner at third base, less than two outs -- before he finally broke his streak with a fly ball to left field. The crowd at Great American Ballpark cheered him. Dunn raised his arms in triumph.

PATHETIC.

Except that unsourced anecdote fails to mention how many times he got singles, doubles, walks, triples, home runs, or reached on error in those situations. The guy does NOT have problems getting the ball out of the infield. He doesn't hit into DP. My bunk detector went off.