Author Topic: Randy Wolf signs 3yr/$29.75 million deal w/ Brewers  (Read 1161 times)

Offline hammondsnats

What do you think, was this a fair deal for both parties and would you have liked the Nats to get him?  

he had a pretty good year last season.  I remember we were kicking the tires of possibly acquiring him last offseason.  

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Randy Wolf signs 3yr/$27 million deal w/ Brewers
« Reply #1: December 09, 2009, 12:58:05 PM »
Nats missed the boat.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Re: Randy Wolf signs 3yr/$27 million deal w/ Brewers
« Reply #2: December 09, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »
With no compensation he was one we should have pursued.  I'm not sure that he would have picked us over a borderline playoff team in Milwaukee.  He gives them a pretty good 1-2 with Gallardo.  If Dave Bush pitches well or Manny Parra gets his stuff together, they're a playoff lock.

Offline blue911

What do you think, was this a fair deal for both parties and would you have liked the Nats to get him? 

he had a pretty good year last season.  I remember we were kicking the tires of possibly acquiring him last offseason. 

Tim Hudson is getting 3/28, you be the judge.

Offline hammondsnats

Well Hudson pitched in like only 4 games last season.  Hudson is better than Wolf, but Wolf isn't all that bad.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Hudson is a year older and coming back from injury.  Wolf had his major injury 3 years ago and has been healthy since then.

Offline blue911

Hudson is a year older and coming back from injury.  Wolf had his major injury 3 years ago and has been healthy since then.

You really think Wolf is worth more than Hudson?

Offline Potomac Cannons

You really think Wolf is worth more than Hudson?

With Hudson being 35 and coming back from a major injury, maybe.  I'd bet his contract has more incentives that would push it above Wolf's if he pitches his best.  Let's not forget that Hudson's K/9 has never been anything special and his WHIP and FIP have varied from league average to very good.  I'll wait until he shows he's healthy and pitching at a high level before I see him being worth more than Wolf at this point.

Offline blue911

With Hudson being 35 and coming back from a major injury, maybe.  I'd bet his contract has more incentives that would push it above Wolf's if he pitches his best.  Let's not forget that Hudson's K/9 has never been anything special and his WHIP and FIP have varied from league average to very good.  I'll wait until he shows he's healthy and pitching at a high level before I see him being worth more than Wolf at this point.

A simple YES would have sufficed.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
A simple YES would have sufficed.
no

It would have been cool to have a player with the name "Wolf" printed on his jersey.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!

he had a pretty good year last season.  I remember we were kicking the tires of possibly acquiring him last offseason.  

should have gotten him last season, should have gotten him this season.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Harden to Texas for 1 year - $7.5 million.

Come to me Jon Garland....

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
should have gotten him last season, should have gotten him this season.

Definitely last season, not sure he's worth the price for maybe another 10 wins next year.

Offline Potomac Cannons

How in the world do wins even begin to factor in to how much you pay a starting pitcher in this era?  Rick f'n Helling won 20 games one year.  Wolf got paid for being consistently above average and occasionally having really good years.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
How in the world do wins even begin to factor in to how much you pay a starting pitcher in this era?  Rick f'n Helling won 20 games one year.  Wolf got paid for being consistently above average and occasionally having really good years.

Wins are a poor stat to use to judge a pitcher's performance. Wolf has been solid. There are certainly other pitchers available of similar or better calibre. We need to get at least one of them, preferably two. The team is so desparate for pitching, they can't afford to be cheap about this and settle for slop if they want to avoid another 100-loss season.