Author Topic: Brad Penny  (Read 1126 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Brad Penny
« Topic Start: August 26, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
According to MLBtraderumors.com, Penny has asked for his release from the Red Sox.  I know some of us have discussed about bringing him in stemming back from this offseason.  Any interest?

Although, I'm sure some contenders will inquire about his services.

Offline hammondsnats

Brad Penny
« Reply #1: August 27, 2009, 12:02:26 AM »
Nick Carfado of the Boston Globe suspects the Red Sox may soon cut ties with right-hander Brad Penny.  As Carfado reports,

After [Wednesday's] game, the Sox brass, which included owner John Henry, general manager Theo Epstein, director of baseball operations Brian O'Halloran and Terry Francona met with Penny before Francona's post-game press conference. Penny then chatted briefly with Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick and left without speaking.

The Red Sox need a 40-man roster spot for newly acquired reliever Billy Wagner, and Tim Wakefield's fine performance Wednesday night -- seven innings, one run, three hits -- should have the club feeling confident about dumping a pitcher.  The 31-year-old Penny has a 5.61 ERA and 1.53 WHIP in 24 starts this season and has expressed a lack of interest in joining Boston's bullpen corps.  It's all specualtion and rumor at this point, but a release or DFAing does make some sense.  Keep in mind that he can no longer be traded.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/red-sox-to-dump-brad-penny.html

I know some of us have discussed about bringing him in temming back from this offseason.  Any interest?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Brad Penny
« Reply #2: August 27, 2009, 08:31:42 AM »
XM175 was reporting that the Sox have released Penny.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline NJ Ave

Brad Penny released by Red Sox
« Reply #4: August 27, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
Now that's a guy that the Nats should consider picking up. He averaged 95 MPH his last game for the Sox against the Yankees, and says he's completely healthy again. That's the kind of great pickup we could make without losing a draft pick - a flamethrower who'll give you 190 above-average innings a season.

He's exactly the kind of guy who struggles in the AL but does much better in the NL. He was a bit unlucky in Boston this year, and if he could produce a 4.48 FIP in the AL East, he's almost guaranteed to immediately be the best starting pitcher on our team. Offer him 3 years and $21 million and plug him into the rotation.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: August 27, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »
Penny would be a higher quality veteran than most options to take late season starts away from the pitchers hitting their innings limits.  At his best, he was darn good.  He has no velocity problems so there is no evidence of an injury problem.  He has not been good in August, but had a long stretch of effectiveness in June and July.  In the AL East, he was a 5th starter who, due to injuries, was asked to pitch in more important games.  Throws a lot of pitches and has not been going deep into games. 

If you believe that it is easier to pitch in the NL than the AL, you might be able to convince him that he could come here, show what he has in low stakes settings, and "try us on for size."  If he likes it, we might be able to sign him.  It might even be to his advantage to sign short so he could hit the market again in 2011. I don't know if he will be a Type B (my guess is no), but we can offer arbitration because he's coming off a low base salary year.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: August 27, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
He was awesome a few years ago. I think he'd be a pretty damn good setup man or closer, but he probably doesn't want to do that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Brad Penny released by Red Sox
« Reply #7: August 27, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
dueling threads on the outof town scoreboard section. This is more appropriate.  I agree with NJ Ave.  Let's see if he can get waived out of the AL.  Oakland reportedly has interest. 

Penny would be a higher quality veteran than most options to take late season starts away from the pitchers hitting their innings limits.  At his best, he was darn good.  He has no velocity problems so there is no evidence of an injury problem.  He has not been good in August, but had a long stretch of effectiveness in June and July.  In the AL East, he was a 5th starter who, due to injuries, was asked to pitch in more important games.  Throws a lot of pitches and has not been going deep into games. 

If you believe that it is easier to pitch in the NL than the AL, you might be able to convince him that he could come here, show what he has in low stakes settings, and "try us on for size."  If he likes it, we might be able to sign him.  It might even be to his advantage to sign short so he could hit the market again in 2011. I don't know if he will be a Type B (my guess is no), but we can offer arbitration because he's coming off a low base salary year.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: August 27, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
Mmmm, he's now had two consecutive miserable seasons.  If he could get to his pre-2008 self, I'd consider it, but two straight years of 6.27 and 5.31 would give me pause. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #9: August 27, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
Mmmm, he's now had two consecutive miserable seasons.  If he could get to his pre-2008 self, I'd consider it, but two straight years of 6.27 and 5.31 would give me pause.

Sounds like our kinda pitcher!  ;)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Brad Penny released by Red Sox
« Reply #10: August 27, 2009, 11:19:02 AM »
One disagreement is whether he can go deep into games.  His longest outing was 6.2 on 5/20.  He went 6.1 the two prior times in May, and again on July 24.  Other than that, his max has been 6.0 (9x).  Out of 24 starts.  But there are not many starters who go deep consistently, and the league switch might help.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: August 27, 2009, 11:20:25 AM »
This is more of a Wire thread than an OTS one at this point.  Also, throw out 2008 due to an injury.

Online blue911

« Reply #12: August 27, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »
This is more of a Wire thread than an OTS one at this point.  Also, throw out 2008 due to an injury.

Sounds even more like our kind of pitcher  ;)

Seriously though, if Jason Varitek couldn't get this guy straightened out, how is Josh Bard?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #13: August 27, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
This is more of a Wire thread than an OTS one at this point.

Why? Show me a rumor somewhere linking him with the Nats. (other than the fertile minds of a few Nats fans).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #14: August 27, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
Why? Show me a rumor somewhere linking him with the Nats. (other than the fertile minds of a few Nats fans).
yeah i'm not saying we're going to get him or anything, i just know some of us had displayed some interest before. 

we all know where i stand - i want lackey - but if strasburg can get a grasp of pro pitching in the fall, lannan is good to go and some other starter from our group emerges ... i'd be on board for bringing in penny as a back end innings eater. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: August 27, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »

That's more of a "does this guy fit with the Nats" area.  You are right though - most of the threads there are "fertile imagination" (aki iwamura, rich harden, etc...).  I thought this was more of a non-nats related area, like laughing at the latest Mets injury. 

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #16: August 27, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »
I'd offer him something like this:

prorated minimum for this year (i think the sox cover the rest of his deal)... 3 million dollar base next year, with incentives for staying healthy and stuff, and a team option for 2011 with a decent buyout.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #17: August 27, 2009, 06:00:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure he wants to go to a contender so I doubt he will consider coming here.

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #18: August 27, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »
Sounds even more like our kind of pitcher  ;)

Seriously though, if Jason Varitek couldn't get this guy straightened out, how is Josh Bard?

What kind of BS is this crap?  Varitek is a fading catcher.  They said Lester was going to be a Cy Young candidate this year.  Let's put that on Varitek not being able to call a game. 

Penny will wind up with the Giants or Rockies or Marlins.  He wants to play for a contending team.  Not a loser team.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #19: August 27, 2009, 08:36:45 PM »
I'd offer him something like this:

prorated minimum for this year (i think the sox cover the rest of his deal)... 3 million dollar base next year, with incentives for staying healthy and stuff, and a team option for 2011 with a decent buyout.
I'm totally on board with that.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: August 27, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »
Wants got nothing to do with it if we put in a waiver claim.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #21: August 27, 2009, 10:59:13 PM »
Wants got nothing to do with it if we put in a waiver claim.

True, but if we put a claim in, Lerners have to cover the contract, which won't happen cuz LAC  :stir: