Author Topic: What made you a Nats fan?  (Read 8996 times)

Offline BCH89

Re: What made you a Nats fan?
« Reply #75: May 29, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »
I worked at RFK the first 2 seasons they came here and I began following them then.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
temp
« Reply #76: May 29, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »
My family. I was into baseball around 2004. Watching the Orioles growing up but didn't know to much about it until 2005ish and what better time to become a washington fan.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #77: May 29, 2009, 09:54:53 PM »
We headed out of the stadium, still buzzing over the season that had come to an early end. A warm coke and a cold dog, almost a Horacio Pina baseball, a Hondo dinger, anger, frustration, an effigy, and a win snatched away.  A long quiet walk, down through the tunnel, past the broken glass, the hard packed dirt.  “Dad, we are going to get another team, aren’t we?“   “Of course kids, of course we will”.   

Thus began the dark era, and a decade passed.

Then, there appeared some rays of sunshine from the Northeast, and we began to take voyages through that city to another place the game was played, where quality reigned.  Seeking to ease my craving, I was falling for the seduction. And came '82, and trailing by 4 games to the Brewers, "we" won the first 3, before falling just short in the final contest. It was okay, because our time was almost there. And it was still not possible to get to the house of worship by the same route twice.

And the Nati' Premiums were $1.45.

And then came 1983, and we shouted "ED - DEE" and "LEN-NEE" and it seemed very good.  But then EB Williams passed away, and it was not quite as good. And came the new place of worship, and it was pretty, and it was close, and looked so good on the outside, but it was beginning to rot on the inside.

And the Nati' Premiums were no longer $1.45. And there were signs that told you how to get there and people writing down your license plate state and cranky sluggers with mysterious ailments, and labor strife and it was even less good. And we went home to where no real fans lived.

Then we said goodbye to Johnny and Davey and Jon and were told that the new guys were better. But they weren't. So we switched off our radios and stopped spending our non-fan money. But it seemed everybody had tickets they weren't using so sometimes we took the family to see a game. But it wasn't the same.

Then they said they owned me and my fan loyalty and my radio listening and television watching and I was dismayed. They said they had seen me at the old place and the new place and that I couldn't leave, but I was suffocating. They told me I was not a true fan and I didn't deserve my own team but that I should love their team and I was betrayed. 

Then, as suddenly as it began, the darkness lifted. Back across the dirt, the broken glass, through the tunnel, up the ramps, past the grit, the dank, dark concrete, the naked bulbs.  But then we saw the green, the greenest field I ever saw.  The voices calling out “Programs, get your programs”, “Cold beer, get yer COLD beer here”.  The smells – the popcorn, the sausages; the buzz, the life in the air, the palpable excitement.   And I could feel the emotion welling up inside me.   Dad was right, and I’m so glad he’s still here to share.  And my own son and daughter can know my love for this place, this team, and its place in our lives. 

I am home again, at peace.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #78: May 29, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
I tip a Dogfish 120 to the Nats' poet laureate.  Nice.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #79: May 29, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
Tomterp -- that was brilliant -- echoed my sentiments and experiences exactly

:clap:

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #80: May 30, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »
Living in DC

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #81: May 30, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »
I tip a Dogfish 120 to the Nats' poet laureate.  Nice.

Tomterp -- that was brilliant -- echoed my sentiments and experiences exactly

:clap:

thanks guys.  I had high intentions, but everytime I reread what I had written, I was frustrated in my ability to get my thoughts across.  Eventually, I grew weary and posted what I had.

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
« Reply #82: May 31, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »
They're the closest team to me...  It's becoming very painful to root for this team.

SouthernFriedNat

« Reply #83: May 31, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
It's becoming very painful to root for this team.

I find that the pain has become more of just a....dull sense of nothing?

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
« Reply #84: May 31, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »
We headed out of the stadium, still buzzing over the season that had come to an early end. A warm coke and a cold dog, almost a Horacio Pina baseball, a Hondo dinger, anger, frustration, an effigy, and a win snatched away.  A long quiet walk, down through the tunnel, past the broken glass, the hard packed dirt.  “Dad, we are going to get another team, aren’t we?“   “Of course kids, of course we will”.  

Thus began the dark era, and a decade passed.

Then, there appeared some rays of sunshine from the Northeast, and we began to take voyages through that city to another place the game was played, where quality reigned.  Seeking to ease my craving, I was falling for the seduction. And came '82, and trailing by 4 games to the Brewers, "we" won the first 3, before falling just short in the final contest. It was okay, because our time was almost there. And it was still not possible to get to the house of worship by the same route twice.

And the Nati' Premiums were $1.45.

And then came 1983, and we shouted "ED - DEE" and "LEN-NEE" and it seemed very good.  But then EB Williams passed away, and it was not quite as good. And came the new place of worship, and it was pretty, and it was close, and looked so good on the outside, but it was beginning to rot on the inside.

And the Nati' Premiums were no longer $1.45. And there were signs that told you how to get there and people writing down your license plate state and cranky sluggers with mysterious ailments, and labor strife and it was even less good. And we went home to where no real fans lived.

Then we said goodbye to Johnny and Davey and Jon and were told that the new guys were better. But they weren't. So we switched off our radios and stopped spending our non-fan money. But it seemed everybody had tickets they weren't using so sometimes we took the family to see a game. But it wasn't the same.

Then they said they owned me and my fan loyalty and my radio listening and television watching and I was dismayed. They said they had seen me at the old place and the new place and that I couldn't leave, but I was suffocating. They told me I was not a true fan and I didn't deserve my own team but that I should love their team and I was betrayed. 

Then, as suddenly as it began, the darkness lifted. Back across the dirt, the broken glass, through the tunnel, up the ramps, past the grit, the dank, dark concrete, the naked bulbs.  But then we saw the green, the greenest field I ever saw.  The voices calling out “Programs, get your programs”, “Cold beer, get yer COLD beer here”.  The smells – the popcorn, the sausages; the buzz, the life in the air, the palpable excitement.   And I could feel the emotion welling up inside me.   Dad was right, and I’m so glad he’s still here to share.  And my own son and daughter can know my love for this place, this team, and its place in our lives. 

I am home again, at peace.

Amazing!

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
« Reply #85: June 01, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
I went to Baltimore this weekend to catch  2 out of the 4 game set with the Tigers. My wife is a Tigers fan so at least I had a reason to be there. The stadium, even though it's 18 years old, still looks fresh. Eutaw Street is still abuzz on game days. Outside the stadium, there were a few dive looking bars. One of them had $1 beers. We spent a lot of our time before the games there, but not a lot of our money. That stretch of bars on game nights also had outdoor vendors outside along with beer stands. That area had the aroma and the aura of the infield at Pimlico on Preakness day. A lot of young kids drinking canned beer (National Bohemian seemed like a big choice), and crushed beer cans and broken bottles seemed to litter the street and sidewalk. Lots of orange during that weekend (for the Orioles and Tigers fans). Inside the stadium, the fans were abuzz about Matt Wieters, this young prospect that was called up making his major league debut. they claimed that 15000 extra tickets were sold because of his presence.

What got me about the whole weekend is there were still a large number of Virginia license plates in the parking lots. A few were wearing Nats gear, but there are still a lot of fans that are still clinging to Baltimore allegiance. I don't know if we'll ever win these people over, not with the front office and ownership that we have in place now.

Anyway, will we ever see the dive bars outside the stadium that sell $1 beers? I doubt it. Everything that is being constructed outside Nats Park has been put on hold because of the economy, and even if bars and restaurants open up down there they will probably be on the upscale side. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #86: June 01, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
^ I live spitting distance to Nationals Park & I have neighbors that are Orioles season ticket holders.

« Reply #87: June 01, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
I went to Baltimore this weekend to catch  2 out of the 4 game set with the Tigers. My wife is a Tigers fan so at least I had a reason to be there. The stadium, even though it's 18 years old, still looks fresh. Eutaw Street is still abuzz on game days. Outside the stadium, there were a few dive looking bars. One of them had $1 beers. We spent a lot of our time before the games there, but not a lot of our money. That stretch of bars on game nights also had outdoor vendors outside along with beer stands. That area had the aroma and the aura of the infield at Pimlico on Preakness day. A lot of young kids drinking canned beer (National Bohemian seemed like a big choice), and crushed beer cans and broken bottles seemed to litter the street and sidewalk.

I guarantee once the recession is over and the businesses move in, the area around Nats Park will be booming.

Lots of orange during that weekend (for the Orioles and Tigers fans). Inside the stadium, the fans were abuzz about Matt Wieters, this young prospect that was called up making his major league debut. they claimed that 15000 extra tickets were sold because of his presence.

Bullcrap. Who at the Orioles Dugout is slinging that rot? A prospect that hasn't touched the MLB over 12 seasons of losing? 

What got me about the whole weekend is there were still a large number of Virginia license plates in the parking lots. A few were wearing Nats gear, but there are still a lot of fans that are still clinging to Baltimore allegiance. I don't know if we'll ever win these people over, not with the front office and ownership that we have in place now.

Do you know who owns the Baltimore franchise? More importantly-- do their fans even know?

Anyway, will we ever see the dive bars outside the stadium that sell $1 beers? I doubt it. Everything that is being constructed outside Nats Park has been put on hold because of the economy, and even if bars and restaurants open up down there they will probably be on the upscale side.

You obviously haven't seen "The Bullpen" across from the Center Field Gate and how it falls on the "upscale side." :lol:

Offline Bermygreen

« Reply #88: June 01, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
Since living in Bermuda and having no real sport to watch, I started watching baseball.  Thought I'd follow the Cubs, but that didn't feel right.  Noticed what a shocking record the Nats have this season, and hence they became my team.  I can fly straight there from here too.  Never seen them play, but hey, my football team back home (I'm English) has won diddly squat in 102 years, so I'm in no rush.

I have no idea what the rules are, other than the basics, so I may be on here a few times asking to what you guys would be pretty basic stuff, such as what does RBI mean?  Oh, and a pizza glove, and a snow cone catch.  What are your commentators on?  :-)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #89: June 01, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
Since living in Bermuda and having no real sport to watch, I started watching baseball.  Thought I'd follow the Cubs, but that didn't feel right.  Noticed what a shocking record the Nats have this season, and hence they became my team.  I can fly straight there from here too.  Never seen them play, but hey, my football team back home (I'm English) has won diddly squat in 102 years, so I'm in no rush.

I have no idea what the rules are, other than the basics, so I may be on here a few times asking to what you guys would be pretty basic stuff, such as what does RBI mean?  Oh, and a pizza glove, and a snow cone catch.  What are your commentators on?  :-)

Welcome aboard -- My Dad TOTALLY digs your shorts ... the black socks with the sandals is a particularly hawt look for him ... :)

Ask away -- tons of knowledgeable baseball folks here ... happy to have you on the Nats Bandwagon ...

RBI ... Runs Batted In ... when a hitter hits the ball and another guy scores, that's an RBI
Pizza Glove -- I think is just a big glove that some players use at first base, etc.,
Snow Cone catch is a ball that is caught on the very edges of the glove that some of the ball is sticking out -- and it looks like a "snow cone"

« Reply #90: June 01, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »

Who is your football team?

Offline Bermygreen

« Reply #91: June 01, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
Welcome aboard -- My Dad TOTALLY digs your shorts ... the black socks with the sandals is a particularly hawt look for him ... :)

Ask away -- tons of knowledgeable baseball folks here ... happy to have you on the Nats Bandwagon ...

RBI ... Runs Batted In ... when a hitter hits the ball and another guy scores, that's an RBI
Pizza Glove -- I think is just a big glove that some players use at first base, etc.,
Snow Cone catch is a ball that is caught on the very edges of the glove that some of the ball is sticking out -- and it looks like a "snow cone"

Today I am wearing a particularly smart navy blue shorts/socks (knee length) combo.  The old dears love it.

heh heh - and there was me think that pizza glove & snow cone were made up names.  Gotta love you Americans   :D

Nat - my football team is Plymouth Argyle.  That should have made me a Red Sox fan, but even I know that they're the equivalent of Man Utd in the glory hunter stakes.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #92: June 01, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
Nat - my football team is Plymouth Argyle.  That should have made me a Red Sox fan, but even I know that they're the equivalent of Man Utd in the glory hunter stakes.

The baseball equivalent of the Manchester United would be the dreaded NY Yankees.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #93: June 01, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
I grew up in Herndon, and was a Senators fan, though, under Dad's Yankee influence Mickey Mantle was my favorite player until he retired when I was 9 - then Frank Howard took that spot in my heart. 

I always took my glove to the stadium, though never really came close to catching a ball.  My first time going to an MLB game was Senators hosting the Tigers, probably around 1964.  That was the first time I tried keeping score.  I just copied the line score down on the scorecard.  Mostly though, until I was at least 6 or 7, I remember sitting in a big white vinyl recliner with dad, asking him a thousand questions about the game. Another big game was one I didn't attend.  For whatever reason, Casey Cox getting his first MLB hit was a big deal - it was the talk at school all the next day.  You would have thought the Senators won the World Series with all the excitement.  I remember one game shortly before the Senator left, I thought it was Toby Harrah (KenzaFan, though, looked it up and it was somebody else, but I don't remember who - for over 30 years I though it was Harrah), who hit a walk-off HR to beat the Yankees.  Dad wasn't happy, and it was a long ride home.  We went to see one of Mantle's last games, and he didn't play.  I spent the entire game staring into the Yankee dugout.  Otherwise, I don't remember anything about that game.

Then Bob Short ripped out our hearts and barbequed them Texas Style, I followed Dad's lead an became a Yankees fan, though mostly watched O's games.  The aerial TV reception on, I think it was channel 13 from Baltimore was lousy, and the birds were always playing in the snow, but we watched almost nightly and listened to Chuck Thompson(?).

I still fondly remember the Shaeffer beer and Ballentine beer jingles from the old Senators games, and then the Eskay Franks commercials from the O's games.  I think some tire company sponsored the O's player of the game.  I don't think I've every had either a Shaeffer or Ballentine beer, but in a way they are my favorites.

I remainded a Yankees fan even after moving down here to Boca Raton and after we got the Marlins.  The Marlins became a close 2nd favorite.  I had a great run '96 - 2000 when one or the other won the WS.  I wondered, in '97, how I'd feel if the Yankees and Marlins met in the World Series.  At that time, I would have probably still gone with the Yankees - not enough history with the Marlins.  Then came the 2003 spring training, and there was something special about the Marlins team.  The guys were playing the game it was supposed to be played, and really enjoying it.  It was the kind of team you'd have given your left nut to be part of.  Even though they started off slow in the regular season, by April I was hooked on the Fish.  Then came the World Series, and I was shocked at how easy it was to root against the Yankees.  Non only did my #1 and #2 switch, but the distance between them was huge. 

Then along came the Nationals.  I'm convinced that nobody outside of DC was more excited about the Nationals coming to DC was more excited than myself.  I've lived in Florida for 17 years, but DC is still home.  I feel more for the Nats than I ever felt for the Yankees.  They are still my #2, just behind the Fish, but it's darn close.

This weekend, my daughter decided to switch at the 11th hour, and will now be attending college in DC (Catholic University), so I'll be spending more time in DC, and getting to love the Nats even more no matter what their record, manager, pitching coach, etc.  Sally & I were all set to go up and take jobs at JMU in the fall, but with one of her sisters suffering from advanced MS, another in stage IV of leukemia, and her dad having had 2 more open heart surgeries in May, that is looking doubtful.  But, with Emily in DC, my parents in Stuarts Draft, several FAU players in the Shenandoah Valley League, and my company now based in Reston, I'll probably, like last year, seen more Nats home games than Marlins home games.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #94: June 01, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
Hey NATSADDICT, let us know when you take in a NATS Game, I'd love to finally meet you and the family.

As for our friend in Bermuda, when someone asked you about your favorite "football team", it can be taken 2 ways:

1.  As its known internationally as football but here as soccer team.

OR

2.  Here in the states, we mean the NFL or National Football League (Redskins, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, etc.)

Have you chosen an NFL Football Team?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #95: June 01, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »
Hey NATSADDICT, let us know when you take in a NATS Game, I'd love to finally meet you and the family.

As for our friend in Bermuda, when someone asked you about your favorite "football team", it can be taken 2 ways:

1.  As its known internationally as football but here as soccer team.

OR

2.  Here in the states, we mean the NFL or National Football League (Redskins, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, etc.)

Have you chosen an NFL Football Team?

Go with the Pats :D

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #96: June 01, 2009, 09:08:04 PM »

I still fondly remember the Shaeffer beer and Ballentine beer jingles from the old Senators games

Shaeffer, is the, one beer to have, when you're having more than one!

Don't miss this video, awesome entire Shaeffer commercial.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #97: June 01, 2009, 09:12:05 PM »
i dont know why i became a nats fan. i just did. i dont know why i still care. maybe i shouldn't

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #98: June 01, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »
I was trying to remember who used that slogan...classic.  Must not forget Meister Brau or Milwaukee Beast.

Shaeffer, is the, one beer to have, when you're having more than one!

Don't miss this video, awesome entire Shaeffer commercial.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #99: June 01, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »
I've been waiting for a baseball team in Washington since I was a kid when my Dad started taking me to Alexandria Dukes ballgames during the early 80s.  He told me how he used to go to RFK to watch the Senators play and ever since then I became a big fan of Senators history.  I was never an Orioles fan...just waited and waited until finally in 2005 - and I will never give up on baseball in Washington despite poor ownership and/or mismanagement of the team.  That being said - I will also ALWAYS fight to have a REAL competitive club here too.  I'm not going to just sit my ass in the stadium and be happy with crappy.   :?