Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 99417 times)

Offline saltydad

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #175: January 10, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
Here's another slow cooking recipe from bananas.org.

1- 2 or 3 pound pork roast, I used sirloin roast
1 large onion sliced
1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 minced clove garlic
1 sliced tomato
2 small sweet banana peppers and 1/4 t ground red pepper
or 2 of your favorite hot peppers (or more for hotter) sliced into rings or strips
juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste
4 med or two large banana leaves, I used ice cream* this time because I had them

lay out the leaves in the sun for a couple of hours to wilt slightly, they wrap up easier that way.

If you use medium leaves, Lay two leaves overlapping slightly on the table and lay the roast on the leaves. If you're using large ones, just use one leaf. Season the roast well with the salt and pepper. Layer the onion, then the tomato, garlic, peppers and sprinkle the oregano and cumin on top. Squeeze the lime on top over all.
Wrap the banana leaves over the roast to make a packet then lay out the other two leaves and wrap it the other way to make it securely sealed. Put it in the crockpot and cook it for 8 hours on low or 4 on high. Remove from crock pot and rest it for 15 minutes, then slice or shred meat. Serves 4-6.
Serve with tortillas, salsa, avacado or guacamole, sour cream and your fave hot sauce. I'm sure this would be even better grilled but I was too lazy.

* refers to a particular banana variety Musa 'Ice Cream'.