Author Topic: Bad Nationals Nostalgia / "Lean Years" Memories thread (merged)  (Read 27060 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
OLD NATS- Pleading with Dad to take me when he took my brother to a Senators game.  He took the both of us.  He answered my questions and taught me to keep score.  THE whole crowd singing the Natio al Anthem.  The whole crowd stomping and screaming WE WANT A HIT until RFK Vibrated.  Autograph day and getting Denny McLains auto because Hondo line was sooooo long!  Listening to my radio shack transister radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be asleep!  Writing Ted Williams telling him Frank Howard deserves to be a first basemen and not an easy position like outfield!  Next game he was at first base!  HONDO HOMERUNS!

My first game: beautiful day when they gave Mickey Vernon his Silver Bat from Hillerich & Bradsby as AL batting champ. The grass was so green. All the special bunting hanging from the grand-stands...usually used only for Opening Day. So beautiful I could hardly breathe. Had upper deck, LF line seats, so we could look down into the visitors' bullpen, which was in the corner between the grandstand and the bleachers. (Nats' bullpen was a low-walled rectangle under the giant RF wall and scoreboard). A swarm of bees attacked the visiting Yankees' bullpen, and I saw Yogi Berra get stung. Yankees won the game, though.