Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1  (Read 26515 times)

Offline ZIM4MVP

Re: OPENING DAY - Nationals vs Phillies, Game 1
« Reply #600: April 05, 2010, 09:46:23 PM »
Got home a about an hour ago, that was fugly

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #601: April 05, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »
yeah.  before the game up in the miller lite scoreboard walk, phillies fans were talking smack about zim and his awards.  i was just laughing at them and would turn and say, "the dude is a good ballplayer just shut up"

Thats all? No woner why we suck, JP

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Fire Riggleman
« Reply #602: April 05, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »
I didn't have a problem trying to sacrifice Morgan to third in the first inning after he stole the base.  

You should, because giving up an out to move a runner from scoring position to scoring position is counter productive.

In 2009, teams with no outs and a runner on second scored 1.1415 runs on average.  Teams with a runner on 3rd and one out, scored 0.96548 runs on average, so the strategy you advocate would result in fewer runs scored than just swinging way, over the course of a season.

Source:  BP Run Expectations table:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/sortable/index.php?cid=68778

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #603: April 05, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #604: April 05, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »
In 2009, teams with no outs and a runner on second scored 1.1415 runs on average.  Teams with a runner on 3rd and one out, scored 0.96548 runs on average, so the strategy you advocate would result in fewer runs scored than just swinging way, over the course of a season.
That's fine over the course of the season, but we don't face Roy Halladay every time out.  The guy makes so few mistakes that I'd rather have TPlush on 3rd with one out and our two best hitters coming up.  If we were facing the Reds or Mets or Royals, different story, but the opportunities vs. Halladay don't come often.  Take the first couple of pitches to try and put your best base runner on 3rd with your best hitter up next, I'll take my chances.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #605: April 05, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »

www.dccirculator.com - One of the best things the DC government has ever done, plugs holes in the Metro system and only costs a dollar.

Catch it at the NJ Ave exit of Navy Yard and it speedily takes you right to Union Station. Great views along the way of federal buildings and monuments. Beats the crap out of a metro transfer.

So, would you say the Circulator is a faster way to get to the Red Line subway (which is at Union Station) than getting in the Green Line mob and then transferring to the Red Line at Metro Center?

Are the buses numbered, or how do you know which to take to/from Nationals Park?

PANatsFan, I thought you lived in PA.  

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #606: April 05, 2010, 10:22:52 PM »
There's only one Circulator that stops at the Navy Yard. It's clearly marked. They have no numbers  - destinations are clearly marked, and Union Station is the defacto hub - you could change to a bus headed for M St in Georgetown.

On a day like today, I think it was faster. No crowds. I got a comfy seat to slump in on the Red Line at Union Station before all the damn Phillies fans got on in Chinatown. Very friendly bus driver and passengers. They run every 10 minutes so no need for a schedule, and they run till midnight on Nats game nights.

I think the praise is pretty warranted. They ran during the blizzards when Metro was down (but I didn't ride so I can't attest to frequency or quality of ride during the storm).

I don't really live in PA anymore - thought it was becoming apparent from my posts :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #607: April 05, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
"I think it's a statement of where we've got to get to," Riggleman said. "We've got to get to the point where we far outnumber them, not just on Opening Day. We've just got to get to a point where we outnumber the opposition. That's not given to you. You've got to earn that. And you've got to earn it with wins."

love riggleman's attitude here.  hopefully stan k/lerners are listening (although it probably doesn't matter really, does it).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #608: April 05, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
ight i've calmed down a bit.  wish we played tomorrow though.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #609: April 05, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
Nyjer's going to hit a leadoff homer. That will be our only hit. We'll win 1-0. :D

well, you had the nationals scoring 1 run part right.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #610: April 06, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
And just so the home plate umps don't feel completely impotent, you can even have them "call" the pitch after the sensor determines if it's a ball or a strike. So really, it wouldn't even look or feel any different to the fans. It's brilliant, I'm telling you.

I should be commissioner

I suggested something like this over a year ago, you owe me royalties ;)

Just give the ump an eyepiece/visor that flashes green or red.  Easy.

Eh, everyone would know they're just there for show.

So what?

How about this:

There's a sensor to determine ball/strike calls.  The ump gets to call balls/strikes throughout the game, but each team's manager or pitching coach or whomever has the option of replacing the umpire's call with the sensor's determination about 5 times per game.  They have to use it strategically and it doesn't totally eliminate the ump.

That's not a terrible idea, but the current "let's speed up the game" mindset would never go for it.

I think it'd make it too easy for the hitters.

This is probably true.  Uncertainty is a big part of the pitcher/batter matchup.

ASSCLOWN had that idea in a game thread past year.  He said have a little screen built into their sunglasses that they read and then made the call :lol:

That was actually my idea :bow:

-I'm boycotting Philly games for the rest of the year, and hopefully the rest of my life. Their fans are intolerable. I might write a letter to Kasten (or whoever would end up reading it) and tell him that if he reaches out to Philly fans again through the media he can kiss my financial support good bye. I'm not new to Philly sports fans, btw, but they drove me bonkers today and knowing the entire time that they were invited down here by our team president...  :evil:

This.

-Sorry I missed you guys. Soaked up BP with my brother and dad.

Whereabouts?  I was right behind the pit to the right-side of the Nats dugout for a good hour-plus.