Author Topic: Ballpark bus to Nationals Park  (Read 23014 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Ballpark bus to Nationals Park
« Reply #325: August 25, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
And I hate driving in DC with a passion. In fact, unless it's a winding back road, I don't want to drive it.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #326: August 25, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
My all time favorite was the Grog and Tankard in that block.

Yeah, I used to love the Grog and Tankard and spent many nights there in the mid/late 1980s.  There was a really great zydeco band called Little Red and the Renegades who performed there a lot back then.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #327: August 25, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
  Of course, I don't eat fish so she figured it was OK.

Western PA, right?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #328: August 25, 2012, 06:47:21 PM »
Yeah, I used to love the Grog and Tankard and spent many nights there in the mid/late 1980s.  There was a really great zydeco band called Little Red and the Renegades who performed there a lot back then.

One of my highlights was watching the 1974 ACC Championship game at the Grog.   :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #329: August 25, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
Western PA, right?

Of course  ...  :)   I'm not eatin' anything that has 3 eyes and 4 sets of gills.    My dad was a steelworker, meat and potatoes kind of guy.    He didn't like chicken either.    The wife is a no red meat/pork woman so I've adjusted my eating habits.   However, when she eats fish, I eat a salad or spaghetti.    Though I do love me some shrimps.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #330: August 25, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »
Of course  ...  :)   I'm not eatin' anything that has 3 eyes and 4 sets of gills.    My dad was a steelworker, meat and potatoes kind of guy.    He didn't like chicken either.    The wife is a no red meat/pork woman so I've adjusted my eating habits.   However, when she eats fish, I eat a salad or spaghetti.    Though I do love me some shrimps.

Pittsburgh seems to be a center of cardiac treatment facilities.    :?

Most people I know from western PA don't eat seafood, guess they got tired of frozen fish sticks being the standard.  Fish is lousy if it isn't fresh, and I can see that much of Pa historically has not been able to get much fresh seafood, if any.  No problem, more for me.    :twisted:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #331: August 25, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
Pittsburgh seems to be a center of cardiac treatment facilities.    :?

Most people I know from western PA don't eat seafood, guess they got tired of frozen fish sticks being the standard.  Fish is lousy if it isn't fresh, and I can see that much of Pa historically has not been able to get much fresh seafood, if any.  No problem, more for me.    :twisted:

I visit my sister often in my old hometown.   Amazing how many people are fat and smoke.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #332: August 25, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
I visit my sister often in my old hometown.   Amazing how many people are fat and smoke.

I was up in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and commented to a friend of mine there that I really took notice of how many pedestrians in the city were smoking.  Smokers were noticeably greater in number than what I typically see down here.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #333: August 25, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
Well, you see they smoke filtered cigarettes so it is better than the air used to be.

Actually, Pittsburgh has done well with its air.  Something about the mills closing.  :?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #334: August 25, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
Well, you see they smoke filtered cigarettes so it is better than the air used to be.

Actually, Pittsburgh has done well with its air.  Something about the mills closing.  :?

In October 1982, they shut the mill in my hometown  ...  5.000 jobs ...  boom gone.   The air got better but drug, alcohol, spousal abuse grew.   Haynes Johnson wrote a great piece in the Post about the "change".

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #335: August 25, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
And I hate driving in DC with a passion. In fact, unless it's a winding back road, I don't want to drive it.

^

I hate highways and traffic.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #336: August 26, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
In October 1982, they shut the mill in my hometown  ...  5.000 jobs ...  boom gone.   The air got better but drug, alcohol, spousal abuse grew.   Haynes Johnson wrote a great piece in the Post about the "change".

don't get me wrong.  That emoticon was not a happy one. the trade off is not something to be happy about.  there were other problems with steel industry finances (foreign dumping, competing against modernized plants in lower wage countries) to make closure likely even without regulations.  I just did not want to make a pittsburgh joke about the air and imply that it is bad now.

Now back to watching Flashdance.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #337: August 26, 2012, 10:52:48 AM »
Ack, brainworm~

Offline mitlen

« Reply #338: August 26, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
don't get me wrong.  That emoticon was not a happy one. the trade off is not something to be happy about.  there were other problems with steel industry finances (foreign dumping, competing against modernized plants in lower wage countries) to make closure likely even without regulations.  I just did not want to make a pittsburgh joke about the air and imply that it is bad now.

It's all good  ...   BTW  the mill in my hometown was making money.   The problem was the owners made more by closing it and writing it off than they did by keeping it open  ...   Now back to Deerhunter.   :)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #339: January 01, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »
http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/news/article/owners_of_the_ballpark_bus_looking_to_increase_their_fleet898/

So apparently this service started getting really popular later in the season, and they've been running for Redskins games too with great success.

During the Nats’ season last year, the partners required a minimum number of passengers before a bus trip was guaranteed. Next season, Bowman said every bus will be confirmed from the start.

“We anticipate running to every Saturday and Sunday game, as well as special weekday games such as opening day and July 4th,” Bowman said.

A major goal for the new year is to expand to multiple locations from which the bus can pick up passengers. Right now the bus will continue to pick up passengers exclusively out of Clyde’s, he said.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #340: January 01, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
Rockville patiently waiting for the Ballpark bus.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #341: February 21, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
Rockville patiently waiting for the Ballpark bus.
As is Silver Spring/Wheaton

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #342: February 21, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
As I am to answer my email about a bus to Camden for the Mikey Morse Series!

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #343: April 05, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
So they're still only running from Clyde's in Ashburn, but they're advertising Reston Town Center coming soon!  Sweet...only 2 minutes from where I work :)

http://ballparkbus.com/locations.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #344: April 05, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
So they're still only running from Clyde's in Ashburn, but they're advertising Reston Town Center coming soon!  Sweet...only 2 minutes from where I work :)

http://ballparkbus.com/locations.html

I'm not driving it Ashburn to go to DC.   Maybe Reston  ....

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #345: June 05, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
So they have Clyde's in Ashburn and Reston Town Center right now.   Starting this weekend, their location at the Bungalow Lakehouse comes online and then they add Buffalo Wild Wings in Gainesville starting July 6.  Good to see this service taking off :clap: