Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40127 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #175: February 12, 2010, 02:55:01 PM »
google acquires some company I've never heard of for 50m.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/google-acquires-aardvark.html
http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/11/google-acquires-aardvark-for-50-million/

a search company apparently.

and it looks like they aren't wasting any time integrating the company.  Its already in Google Labs.

It took months before their acquisition of Grand Central showed a result.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #176: February 12, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
Sounds kinda like Yahoo Answers, only with teh Googlenets hooking you up with the right people to answer your question.  Hopefully it will prove more useful than YA, which is now mostly good only for its comedic value.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #177: February 12, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
Sounds kinda like Yahoo Answers, only with teh Googlenets hooking you up with the right people to answer your question.  Hopefully it will prove more useful than YA, which is now mostly good only for its comedic value.

the integration is nice.

you can ask questions, or you can answer them. and you can set which types of questions you want to see so that you don't get questions to answer that you know nothing about.

when I went to set mine, It seems it took all my "Interests" from my Google Profile and presented them as options.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #178: February 12, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
interesting.

I asked a question just to see how it works.  got an answer in my email in about 5 minutes.

seems that you can use the GMail Chat, Instant Messenger, Twitter, Email and the Aardvark website to ask question.

i think if you use the IM or GMail Chat, you get responses back in the chat. if you use Twitter,you get a Direct Message. anything else, you get an email.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #179: February 12, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
http://searchengineland.com/google-we-may-remove-buzz-from-gmail-36145

actually a really good idea. it should be attached to Reader, if attached to anything at all.

Offline JMW IV

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #181: February 15, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
In the last hour, I've had no fewer than 10 stories pop up in Reader telling me the Nats signed Willie Tavares with all the Nats feeds I'm subscribed to.

If I'm going to be inundated with game reports every day during the season, this could get interesting...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #182: February 15, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
In the last hour, I've had no fewer than 10 stories pop up in Reader telling me the Nats signed Willie Tavares with all the Nats feeds I'm subscribed to.

If I'm going to be inundated with game reports every day during the season, this could get interesting...

Haha I know I had it too. I just click on them then X out.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #183: February 15, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
I wish there was a quicker way to do that.  I'd like to mark specific ones I want to get rid of and which ones I'd like to keep as unread when I don't have time to read everything.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #184: February 15, 2010, 11:07:28 PM »
I know, I asked people earlier on this board and everyone was confused and eventually I didn't get a good answer.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #185: February 15, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
Using the actual google reader site is easy.  I don't know what extensions you are using to access it so I have no idea how to do what you are asking from the extension.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #186: February 15, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »
Right, but that's not what we're saying.  We'd like to have the option to select certain ones to mark as read or unread without having to select each individually if we don't want to read them all.  Or the option to scroll through them and mark read those that are scrolled, if I PatsNats right.  Right now, it seems to be an all or nothing deal if I don't read something sepecifically.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #187: February 16, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »
Right.  On the reader site, I just scroll through the list, reading what I want, clicking the "keep unread" checkbox for ones I want to read later.  All the ones I have scrolled past are automatically marked as read unless I specifically click the keep unread box.

What extension are you guys using?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #188: February 16, 2010, 12:13:58 AM »
I'm using the Google Reader extension, that's what it's called.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #189: February 16, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »
For Chrome?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #190: February 16, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
Right.  On the reader site, I just scroll through the list, reading what I want, clicking the "keep unread" checkbox for ones I want to read later.  All the ones I have scrolled past are automatically marked as read unless I specifically click the keep unread box.

What extension are you guys using?
Firefox.  I don't have any checkboxes when I use reader.  how do I get checkboxes?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #191: February 16, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
Does your interface look like this when you go to google.com/reader ?
Note the "Keep Unread" toward the bottom next to the email link, etc?  You don't have that?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #192: February 16, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
Yeah, I have that. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #193: February 16, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
I don't understand then :lol:

as you scroll past, they are automatically marked as read.  If you want to read it later, you click "keep unread".  What am I missing here?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #194: February 16, 2010, 12:35:32 AM »
Well, mine don't seem to scroll very well.  I can't go from one to the next without selecting each one individually.  Like this afternoon when I came back from lunch and there were ten stories about us aquiring Tavares and about 3-4 other stories I wanted to read later, but didn't have the time to then.  I wanted to clear out all the Tavares stories, because I didn't need to read it 10 times.  I'd like to have either that scroll feature or to have some email style check box so I can mark the ones I do or don't want to keep and mark the rest read rather than have to go into and select each one individually and manually keep each one. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #195: February 16, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »
You could always star the ones you want too, then mark everything else as read.

Do you have the setting turned on to mark as read as you scroll?

I always read one blog at a time too.  Do you read all of them at once, in a single timeline?  Maybe that is something to do with it too.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #196: February 18, 2010, 12:21:51 AM »
Go to GMail settings - you can delete the whole damn Buzz thing and your whole profile with a couple clicks.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #197: February 18, 2010, 08:42:42 AM »
Go to GMail settings - you can delete the whole damn Buzz thing and your whole profile with a couple clicks.

I think you're a little late to that discussion.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #198: February 18, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
I think you're a little late to that discussion.

I don't want to wade through 8 pages of google reader junk I'm not interested in, figured others didn't either.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #199: February 18, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »
I don't want to wade through 8 pages of google reader junk I'm not interested in, figured others didn't either.

So skip to the end and see that no one's talking about it anymore and move on :lol: