Author Topic: Wilson Ramos Appreciation Thread  (Read 21482 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Wilson Ramos Appreciation Thread
« Reply #50: May 17, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Wilson Ramos' walk-up song is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #51: May 17, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
Great post game interview last night (bobble head discussion).    Said his wife likes the bobblehead and the nose on the bobblehead matches his.    As FP said, watching him run last night was like watching a stampede.

Offline madj55

« Reply #52: May 17, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
Wilson Ramos' walk-up song is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
What is it?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #53: May 17, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
What is it?

Dunno, but there are like six opps for everyone to shout "wiillllsonnnn".

Edit: I found it. Good Lord. It's a Phish song.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #54: May 18, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
Just pray he can stay healthy 'cause he sure can hit!!!!

Offline Optics

« Reply #55: May 18, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »
My favorite Nat. Glad he's back and raking. Hope he can stay healthy.

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
« Reply #56: May 19, 2014, 08:02:42 AM »

Yes and they stole it from the Seahawks, who use it for Russell Wilson. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #57: May 19, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »
then lets go beast mode about it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #58: May 19, 2014, 10:22:48 AM »

Ignorance is bliss.    Never heard the song and who's this Russell Wilson character?

Offline madj55

« Reply #59: May 19, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »
So only Russell Wilson is allowed to use the song?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60: May 19, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
So only Russell Wilson is allowed to use the song?
Woodrow used to use it.  Russell is just using a more recent cover.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #61: May 19, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
Who cares about a team on the West Coast? Practically invisible here. :)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #62: April 30, 2015, 11:07:35 PM »
bump.  .279 / .296 / .353 this year so far.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #63: May 01, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »
Hopefully Wilson keeps hitting because he is not worth having behind the plate if he isn't at least OPS'ing 750. He needs to mash to make up for his lackluster defense behind the plate which (IMO) has regressed every year.

Offline blue911

« Reply #64: May 01, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
Hopefully Wilson keeps hitting because he is not worth having behind the plate if he isn't at least OPS'ing 750. He needs to mash to make up for his lackluster defense behind the plate which (IMO) has regressed every year.

Fangraphs ranks Ramos 4th in catchers defense, Baseball Reference has him first.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2015-specialpos_c-fielding.shtml

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #65: May 01, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
Fangraphs ranks Ramos 4th in catchers defense, Baseball Reference has him first.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

I can honestly say both of those things shock me. I can only assume that they weight pitch framing and blocking balls more then they value applying tags to runners and throwing out base stealers.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #66: May 01, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »

Do those metrics take into account the ridiculous amount of dropped balls on throws coming home from the outfield?  Or passed balls?

If they do, then there are some REALLY bad catchers out there.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #67: May 01, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »
Do those metrics take into account the ridiculous amount of dropped balls on throws coming home from the outfield?  Or passed balls?

Not really, no. Pitch framing and throwing out base runners is valued much higher.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68: May 01, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »

What is up with DRS?  It has the top 3 catchers as Ramos (5), Norris (4), and Chooch (3), followed by Sal Perez and most of the guys you expect.  To me, that kind of looks like the +s are based mostly on time served (innings) rather than performance.  It is also fair to note he's nailed some very good runners stealing this year, too.  he has a + for that. 

Taking a further look at that FG "def" number, it seems that sort is pretty dependent on just the rSB sort, with the guys who are better at preventing steals high on the list and the guys who are worse at the bottom.  then, guys with the same comparable run score are sorted by innings.  So, it seems that FG def number does not reflect framing, pitch blocking, or fielding throws.

As you say blue all the time, got to know what the number means instead of just quoting it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69: May 01, 2015, 09:43:55 AM »

no, that FG number at least is just a number based on controlling stolen bases and on innings played.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #70: May 01, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
I may be imagining this but believe I have seen more bad pitches turned into strikes by framing, this season, than ever before.  I think it is unfortunate that framing is so important (it is, after all, a form of cheating) but it is a fact of life.   So it doesn't surprise me that it is valued so high.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #71: May 01, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
What is up with DRS?  It has the top 3 catchers as Ramos (5), Norris (4), and Chooch (3), followed by Sal Perez and most of the guys you expect.  To me, that kind of looks like the +s are based mostly on time served (innings) rather than performance.  It is also fair to note he's nailed some very good runners stealing this year, too.  he has a + for that. 

Taking a further look at that FG "def" number, it seems that sort is pretty dependent on just the rSB sort, with the guys who are better at preventing steals high on the list and the guys who are worse at the bottom.  then, guys with the same comparable run score are sorted by innings.  So, it seems that FG def number does not reflect framing, pitch blocking, or fielding throws.

As you say blue all the time, got to know what the number means instead of just quoting it.
It's early. DRS takes a little while to balance out.

Offline blue911

« Reply #72: May 01, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »

Ramos has zero passed balls and only one wild pitch, which is probably what has pushed him up the ladder. I have no idea if they measure plays at the plate or not but I don't think it would change his rating to the bottom half. His caught stealing rate is 10% above league average, so that has to help as well. ( CS is such a bullcrap metric for catchers since pitchers have a significantly larger role in the outcome).

Lobaton, who I think is much better has a negative ratings by both probably because of 4 wild pitches. Personally I think Ramos main weakness is pitch sequencing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: May 01, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »
Ramos has zero passed balls and only one wild pitch, which is probably what has pushed him up the ladder. I have no idea if they measure plays at the plate or not but I don't think it would change his rating to the bottom half. His caught stealing rate is 10% above league average, so that has to help as well. ( CS is such a bullcrap metric for catchers since pitchers have a significantly larger role in the outcome).

Lobaton, who I think is much better has a negative ratings by both probably because of 4 wild pitches. Personally I think Ramos main weakness is pitch sequencing.
Blue - It really looks like that "def" sort in FG is just rSB and innings. It is a 100% fit.

Offline blue911

« Reply #74: May 01, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »
Blue - It really looks like that "def" sort in FG is just rSB and innings. It is a 100% fit.

I really don't think any of the defensive metrics are very good. However, they are worth looking at when discussing a players abilities. I don't see any catcher enough (I mostly see the game live or listen on the radio ala OC) to have an honest opinion. I do look at technique more than result when it comes to blocking wild pitches so I know I'd rate catchers differently than either of the public sites.