Author Topic: Mauer: UPDATED -8 year extension with the Twins.  (Read 2009 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Can't all of these arguments be used against any long term deal? Frankly I think it's better than the Holiday deal.

What's a "Holiday" deal?

Halladay?  Holliday?  Thanksgiving?    :lol:

Offline DPMOmaha

Because having one player tie up 20-25% of your team payroll means an awful lot of eggs in one basket.  High risk.
Sure, I get that, but this is a move the Twins HAD to make.  A home town kid, a superstar and the best catcher in the game right now and a HUGE draw in Minnesota.  He's earned a contract like this.  Injuries are part of the game, I'm not denying that, but they can't let him go, that's the bigger risk, IMO.  The only position player I'd rather have on my team right now is Pujols. 

The Mauer vs. Giambi/Pavano/Hampton comparisons don't quite mesh with me either.  Mauer is one of the best players in the game, period.  Giambi, Pavano and Hampton were all very good players, but never to the level Mauer is. 

Online HalfSmokes

Sure, I get that, but this is a move the Twins HAD to make.  A home town kid, a superstar and the best catcher in the game right now and a HUGE draw in Minnesota.  He's earned a contract like this.  Injuries are part of the game, I'm not denying that, but they can't let him go, that's the bigger risk, IMO.  The only position player I'd rather have on my team right now is Pujols.  

The Mauer vs. Giambi/Pavano/Hampton comparisons don't quite mesh with me either.  Mauer is one of the best players in the game, period.  Giambi, Pavano and Hampton were all very good players, but never to the level Mauer is.  

It doesn't matter what Mauer is now, the question is what is he 6 or 7 years from now, and what moves will the Twins be unable to make becuase of it. The fact that they had to do it doesn't mean its not a high risk move.

Offline DPMOmaha

It doesn't matter what Mauer is now, the question is what is he 6 or 7 years from now, and what moves will the Twins be unable to make becuase of it. The fact that they had to do it doesn't mean its not a high risk move.
I didn't say it wasn't a high risk move, I said it was a move they had to make.

The Twins have always had the money, much like the Lerners, it's just a matter of whether or not they're willing to pour it back into the team.  They've had a change of ownership the past couple of years when the owner passed away, and now we're starting to see the new owners do that.  I don't think that'll be an issue or at least it shouldn't be. 

It does matter what Mauer is now.  That's what his contract is based off.  He's trending up, not down.  You don't make a decision like this based on the worst case.  Even if he drops off a bit the last couple of years, it'll be worth it for Minnesota. 

Offline blue911

I didn't say it wasn't a high risk move, I said it was a move they had to make.

The Twins have always had the money, much like the Lerners, it's just a matter of whether or not they're willing to pour it back into the team.  They've had a change of ownership the past couple of years when the owner passed away, and now we're starting to see the new owners do that.  I don't think that'll be an issue or at least it shouldn't be. 

It does matter what Mauer is now.  That's what his contract is based off. He's trending up, not down.  You don't make a decision like this based on the worst case.  Even if he drops off a bit the last couple of years, it'll be worth it for Minnesota. 

Not only Mauer but the entire team. Most of the front line Twins are under 30 so expecting another 4 to 5 years of productivity isn't a stretch.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yes... 4-5. What about years 6-10?

I love the fact that Mauer is going to be staying in Minnesota (ok... as an Indians fan, I don't LOVE it, but I do love it as a baseball fan)... but what happens when he hits 30 and he has bad knees or a bad back? That contract could be a massive noose around the Twins neck by that point.

Offline DPMOmaha

I love the fact that Mauer is going to be staying in Minnesota (ok... as an Indians fan, I don't LOVE it, but I do love it as a baseball fan)... but what happens when he hits 30 and he has bad knees or a bad back? That contract could be a massive noose around the Twins neck by that point.
if he catches for 5 more years, or maybe 6 and moves to first or DH, is the contract worth it?  I say it is.

Offline blue911

I think you've had to live with Travis Hafner for too long. The idea that Mauer will turn into a pumpkin at age 30 is baseless.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
What? You mean its not common for your entire team to go from career years to losers overnight?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
(ok... as an Indians fan, I don't LOVE it, but I do love it as a baseball fan)

Wait, you're an Indians fan also? Ouch.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The day Manny was hired as the manager of the Indians was one of the darkest days in my fandom history.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

It does matter what Mauer is now.  That's what his contract is based off.  He's trending up, not down.  You don't make a decision like this based on the worst case.  Even if he drops off a bit the last couple of years, it'll be worth it for Minnesota. 

He may have just had his career year, as opposed to any kind of an upward trend that might continue.

Plus, if you move him to another position, the competitive advantage the Twins get now from having such a big bopper in the lineup, is greatly compromised.  A monster catcher is a solid first baseman, for example.

I wish them all the luck, but come years 5-8 this may prove quite the albatross.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
It's weird to see Linty predicting gloom and doom about a team locking up a probable HOFer because of what it might mean for their budget in 6 years while in another thread simultaneously complaining that the Nats didn't blow some money on a stop-gap corner OFer for a marginal improvement in a throwaway year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
It's not that I'm predicting doom and gloom for the Twins... I'm trying to be realistic. It's going to be very hard for Mauer to live up to that contract in his later years.

As for Cameron... I'm just a fan of his... so I wanted them to sign him regardless of the cost.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I know all that.  I just found the contrast amusing :D

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Actually, what is kind of neat about this signing is that it looks like the Twins are not going to follow the Shapiro M.O. of blowing up the team once it gets a bit expensive.  Mauer through 2018, Morneau through 2013, Baker, Blackburn, Span signed long term.  I feel a bit sorry for Linty that his team did not get all that much back for two Cy Youngs and the second best catcher in the AL.  The Blake deal was wonderful, and I think they got something from the Giants, but otherwise, unless Hagadone turns out to be a top of the rotation guy, it seems Shapiro's last demolition job was meh. 

It's also funny that Smith started out with such a lousy money driven deal for Santana and a swap of young guys in Garza -  Bartlett / Young.  Mayeb those deals were so bad, the ownership said "shoot, why don't we signed these guys rather than develop and pay the bums you are bringing in."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I'm so glad Shapiro is leaving after this year.

He's turned a once proud franchise into a joke. The Jake was sold out for what? 425+ games at one point? John Hart built that team into a dynasty.

Shapiro has finally killed the franchise. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive him.

Offline DPMOmaha

He may have just had his career year, as opposed to any kind of an upward trend that might continue.

Plus, if you move him to another position, the competitive advantage the Twins get now from having such a big bopper in the lineup, is greatly compromised.  A monster catcher is a solid first baseman, for example.

I wish them all the luck, but come years 5-8 this may prove quite the albatross.
Sure, that's possible.  The thing is this is about more than just his on the field accomplishments.  He IS the Minnesota Twins.  He is their Pujols.  The negatives of letting him walk is far greater than the risk of him not "living up to his contract" on the stat sheet on the back end.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Sure, that's possible.  The thing is this is about more than just his on the field accomplishments.  He IS the Minnesota Twins.  He is their Pujols.  The negatives of letting him walk is far greater than the risk of him not "living up to his contract" on the stat sheet on the back end.

I understand that.  I'll just add that if it blows up along the way, he would no longer be their Pujols except in compensation.

Offline blue911

I'm so glad Shapiro is leaving after this year.

He's turned a once proud franchise into a joke. The Jake was sold out for what? 425+ games at one point? John Hart built that team into a dynasty.

Shapiro has finally killed the franchise. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive him.

Shapiro's old man is Mauer's agent.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
It's all starting to make sense now.

Offline Potomac Cannons

I understand that.  I'll just add that if it blows up along the way, he would no longer be their Pujols except in compensation.

Mauer is more likely their Cal Jr.  Unless he goes way off the deep end, on and off the field, he's Joe Mauer and all of Minnesota loves him.  He's the franchise heading into the new stadium and even if he's worn down by the end people will still be coming out to see him.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

You just hate catchers.   :lol: