Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52525 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #100: July 18, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
Why does Eury Perez need to play CF again? I'm on the fence as to whether he needs to play or not ANYWAY - above rookie ball he has a BB/K ratio of 52/189 in like 1,300 PA. Is no good.

However, he certainly doesn't have to play CF, right? I mean, he needs to develop as a hitter, so play him in LF or something. If he can't play CF we might as well scrap him anyways with the way he hits.

But here are some keys to running a successful franchise:

(1) You don't let a 5-tool player who's already 22 (meaning potentially within a year or two of the majors) wallow in low-A ball all season because a .600 OPS guy is blocking him
(2) You don't refuse to let the less talented guy play LF so you can continue playing the pupu platter of Jesus Valdez, Chris Rahl, and Jimmy Van Ostrand.

Put Eury Perez in LF with regular at bats, let Goodwin bypass the Potomac outfield, and that's that.

Agreed. Taylor and Perez aren't cutting it. We shouldn't let their crappy play affect what happens to Goodwin.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #101: July 18, 2012, 10:58:16 AM »
Why does Eury Perez need to play CF again? I'm on the fence as to whether he needs to play or not ANYWAY - above rookie ball he has a BB/K ratio of 52/189 in like 1,300 PA. Is no good.

However, he certainly doesn't have to play CF, right? I mean, he needs to develop as a hitter, so play him in LF or something. If he can't play CF we might as well scrap him anyways with the way he hits.

(1) You don't let a 5-tool player who's already 22 (meaning potentially within a year or two of the majors) wallow in low-A ball all season because a .600 OPS guy is blocking him
(2) You don't refuse to let the less talented guy play LF so you can continue playing the pupu platter of Jesus Valdez, Chris Rahl, and Jimmy Van Ostrand.

Put Eury Perez in LF with regular at bats, let Goodwin bypass the Potomac outfield, and that's that.

Oh, and (3) you ESPECIALLY don't let him wallow in low-A when he plays your most needed position. Get him to double-A and try to figure out if we need to pay Bourn this offseason or not.

I think we all agree that Perez is not likely in the long term plans for the Nats.

I'd support a jump to AA for Goodwin right now... as I couldn't care less about Perez's development. I was speaking more to why he can't move to Potomac right now... as not to harm Taylor's development cycle.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #102: July 18, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »
Perez will never be our answer in CF but I see him making it as a 4th-5th outfielder. Hits for a high BA typically and has some speed.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #103: July 18, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »
No, I was responding to the concern that Eury Perez needs regular playing time.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #104: July 18, 2012, 11:12:06 AM »

In with you on Perez but I've heard the Nats still like him as an option in CF. Take that for what it's worth.

And just as a point of clarification, Goodwin is still only 21 and won't turn 22 until after the season is completed. He'll be 22 all of next year. 

Plus, he's appeared in less than 60 games as a professional. He needs to be pushed but let's not act as though the guy has been in the minors for three years.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #105: July 19, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
Someone's reading this forum.
patriotnews_gmo: Roster moves: #HbgSens OF Eury Perez promoted to @SyracuseChiefs, OF Brian Goodwin joining Sens from Hagerstown, OF J.R. Higley back down.
Quote from: Byron Kerr
Hagerstown changes: Steven Souza Jr. Promoted to Potomac ; also confirmed Brian Goodwin to Harrisburg.   #Nats @bkerr32 @masnNationals

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #106: July 19, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »
That's aggressive to Eury Perez. Hopefully someone in Syracuse will help him raise his 1.9% walk rate (!!).

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #107: July 19, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
interesting to see that he's skipping potomac.  Souza was there last year and got demoted.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #108: July 19, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
I wonder if the next month at AA could determine if we even spend a dime or a prospect on finding a CF this offseason. If Goodwin is legit, Harper can play there for one more year.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #109: July 19, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
Goodwin to theafl for sure.  I think he's ready for this challenge.  Im hoping he can be a june call ip next year

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #110: July 19, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
interesting to see that he's skipping potomac.  Souza was there last year and got demoted.

Goodwin>souza

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #111: July 19, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »
those in harrisburg should enjoy seeing Goodwin and Hood playing together.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #112: July 19, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »
Excellent news!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #113: July 19, 2012, 11:25:15 PM »
those in harrisburg should enjoy seeing Goodwin and Hood playing together.

This

Offline daggerrrrrr

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #115: July 20, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »
Seems to be a shift in thinking when it comes to how the Nats are handling their top prospects.

Makes me wonder where Rendon could be right now had he stayed healthy.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #116: July 20, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Wow, Goodwin moving pretty quick, yeah?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #117: July 20, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
Seems to be a shift in thinking when it comes to how the Nats are handling their top prospects.

Makes me wonder where Rendon could be right now had he stayed healthy.

Syracuse, ready to take some burden from Ryan Z. (NO! Not really...)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #118: July 20, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
It's aggressive for the Nats, but I don't think it's uncommon for Juco 1st rounders to be at AA the 2d half of the year after they are drafted.  Maybe that's cutting it too fine.

Offline RD

« Reply #119: July 20, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
I think its aggressive, period. Most JuCo kids would be lucky to get above high A in their first season. Of course, Goodwin isnt the typical JuCo, having spent a year at the D1 level plus a year in tye Cape. But, most 1st round guys from the D1 level dont hit AA in their first season. So hes definitely on the fast track, but hes earned it to date.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #120: July 20, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
Goodwin will probably spend a whole season at AA. Even if he tears it up I wouldn't expect a promotion until this time next year,

Offline Hogie

« Reply #121: July 20, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
He is ruining everything by being so good! There's no point in spending big money for a leadoff/CF type now and we can't even trade for a Justin Upton.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #122: July 20, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
0/7 with 4 Ks in debut doubleheader

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #123: July 20, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
Wow, didn't realize how good his number were in low-A.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #124: July 21, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
Goodwin to theafl for sure.  I think he's ready for this challenge.  Im hoping he can be a june call ip next year

Personally, I'd be happy with a September call up next year, especially if he comes up to stay (all of 2014).