Author Topic: Preview of The New Ballpark  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Preview of The New Ballpark
« Topic Start: August 08, 2005, 04:40:07 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/07/AR2005080700998.html

I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea that the only area in which you will see the DC skyline will be the right field upper deck.  That stinks!  But I guess there's not much you can do about it because of the sun-orientation and DC's low skyline character.  It really is too bad they weren't able to build the thing in Virginia at Pentagon City or Rosslyn, that would have solved this much desired aspect of the new stadium.

The Pentagon City option (which was dead on arrival I might add) would have had the stadium right next to the Pentagon.  If you were sitting behind home plate you would have had all the monuments behind the outfield wall.  That would have been FANTASTIC.  Oh well...it would also be fantastic if we coulda held on to first place too I suppose.  :roll:

NOTE:  THE IMAGE BELOW IS NOT THE NEW STADIUM, rather an image of what the Pentagon City site would have offered had it been chosen instead of SE Washington.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1: August 08, 2005, 11:11:34 AM »
One drawback to the Pentagon city site was the noise level from jets flying up and down the Potomac.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: August 08, 2005, 11:55:26 AM »
dont get too worked up about not haing the pentagon city site.  you probably wont be able to see those things unless you are really high up anyway.  you could probably only see the monument. you wouldnt be able to see the capitol unless you are in the uppdeck along third base. the capitol is really far from pentagon city.  you probably wont see the lincoln memorial, because it is low.  

the location they chose is fine. lots of close metro stops and lines.  so you'll only be able to see the capitol from right field. it will be much better than the view from pentagon city in left field, but it is much closer.  i think the more downtown location makes for a much better game day experience, especially if they can pull of the waterfront development and revitalize the area around the stadium

andywoo87

« Reply #3: August 09, 2005, 08:01:33 PM »
Ever been to minute maid park in houston?  Its basically a really nice ballpark smackdab in the middle of the slums of houston