Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2  (Read 20968 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2
« Reply #450: May 13, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »
LOL those extrapolated numbers are based on what he has done lately :lol:
He's hit 1 HR in 40 games! Many around here have said that he is going to hit 15-20 this season. I don't see how. He's also only got 3 SBs in 40 games. Is he all of a sudden going to start hitting .300, blasting HRs daily and swiping bases with ease?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #451: May 13, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
I ain't doing an extrapolation thread for Lastings Milledge.  His name is a lot longer than Ryan Church.  And too Mexican-sounding.

Bring back Nook.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #452: May 13, 2008, 10:50:04 PM »
They just talked about Milledge on Baseball Tonight.

MrMadison

« Reply #453: May 13, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
sportsfan, do you think that Milledge is the only player in baseball who had bad stats in May during his rookie season?

like I said, it's going to require patience, Milledge is a work in progress with high upside.  He's not a star yet.  he COULD be in the future, but he isn't there yet.

I think 15 HRs is reasonable, but we've got to get him back in his lane, and stop trying to force him to be a power hitter already.

I think it is fairly obvious by now that he isn't middle-of-the-order material at this point.

MrMadison

« Reply #454: May 13, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »
They just talked about Milledge on Baseball Tonight.

what did they say?

he sucks, he's a flop, he will never amount to anything?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #455: May 13, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »
OK, I hope everyone else is right. I just have nothing to go on with Milledge but what I have seen from him in the first month and a half.  See, even though Zimmerman is struggling we have all seen how great he can be.  You know he'll turn it around. With Milledge I have nothing to go on in his past to make me think that he is going to turn it around.  Hopefully he'll prove me and the Mets wrong and start to produce in some fashion. 

« Reply #456: May 13, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
Did you see the MLB.com headline?

"Mets glad Church on their side, not Nats"

MrMadison

« Reply #457: May 13, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
OK, I hope everyone else is right. I just have nothing to go on with Milledge but what I have seen from him in the first month and a half.  See, even though Zimmerman is struggling we have all seen how great he can be.  You know he'll turn it around. With Milledge I have nothing to go on in his past to make me think that he is going to turn it around.  Hopefully he'll prove me and the Mets wrong and start to produce in some fashion. 

this is understandable. we've got no precedent because he isn't proven.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #458: May 13, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
Did you see the MLB.com headline?

"Mets glad Church on their side, not Nats"
That POS burns me up. Regardless of what tomterp might tell you, Church was mediocre as a Starting OFer for this team. He was hitting around .250 with very few bombs as a starter. He was a great 4th OFer but when he started he was unproductive for the most part.

If there's any justice in the world he'll start swinging at curve balls in the dirt again and hitting little weak grounders to the right side.

MrMadison

« Reply #459: May 13, 2008, 11:04:44 PM »
Church will be 30 this year, and he is playing better than he's ever played at any stage of his career.

he's bound to come back to earth eventually.  he's *not* an "up-and-coming star", regardless of what tom or any mets fans say. at this point, it is safe to say he is a "veteran" player.  let the mets fans talk all they want.  they'll change their tune when he comes down off of his "I'm not in DC anymore" adrenaline rush.

and that said, he was handed 2 RBIs on a gift-wrapped platter by that dumb-ass Kearns tonight.

« Reply #460: May 13, 2008, 11:08:44 PM »
That POS burns me up. Regardless of what tomterp might tell you, Church was mediocre as a Starting OFer for this team. He was hitting around .250 with very few bombs as a starter. He was a great 4th OFer but when he started he was unproductive for the most part.

If there's any justice in the world he'll start swinging at curve balls in the dirt again and hitting little weak grounders to the right side.

But to just play devil's advocate: What if Church doesn't come back down? What if indeed what we are seeing is the Church we hoped we see in DC but didn't come around?

Why the sudden burst? Is our coaching staff holding these guys back or doing them a disservice? Is there something about the Washington organization that turns these players off from playing to their potential?

Just some questions.

MrMadison

« Reply #461: May 13, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
But to just play devil's advocate: What if Church doesn't come back down? What if indeed what we are seeing is the Church we hoped we see in DC but didn't come around?

Why the sudden burst? Is our coaching staff holding these guys back or doing them a disservice? Is there something about the Washington organization that turns these players off from playing to their potential?

Just some questions.

then we need to make serious changes in our management and coaching staff.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #462: May 13, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »
Church is on the juice.

what did they say?

he sucks, he's a flop, he will never amount to anything?

They pretty much said the exact same thing that went on here on the last page. He's struggling right now and people are questioning his potential, especially since two teams passed on him when the Mets tried to trade him in the offseason, (but some of that may have been the stupid misconception that he is a bad person). But then they said some still believe he will turn it around and be a star.

MrMadison

« Reply #463: May 13, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »

Offline spidernat

« Reply #464: May 13, 2008, 11:18:31 PM »
:rofl:

Except I'm not so sure I was joking.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #465: May 14, 2008, 12:31:45 AM »
Guys, this was one of the angriest threads I've seen in a LONG time. Y'all need to calm the freak down. I missed the game, but you guys made it seem like we got slaughtered.. Take a game off. It worked for me.  :glug:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #466: May 14, 2008, 01:24:14 AM »
I know I contributed heavily, but in my defense, all of my attacks were directed at Metsman.  That doesn't count.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #467: May 14, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »
It probably just seemed a lot angrier than usual because I let my inner sportsfan loose :lol:

aside from that, I didn't think this thread was that far off the norm for a loss.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #468: May 14, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
i don't think i initially acknowledged it, so i would like to congratulate elijah dukes for his first hit and first run as a washingon national!!!  :clap:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #469: May 14, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
Is there something about the Washington organization that turns these players off from playing to their potential?

Just some questions.

I asked the exact same question earlier in this thread.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #470: May 14, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
I don't think so because we've actually had players play over their head or have some sort of renaissance.  Look at Belliard and Young last year, Lannan and Redding this year and last,  Loaiza in 2005, etc.  There are plenty of examples of players playing over their head.

I think the problem is consistency.  The closest things to consistently reliable players we've had in this organization are Nick Johnson and Jon Rauch.  Yeah, I know NJ missed a year, but that was due to a freak injury.  Cordero was considered such before this year.

The Nats are having serious problems with setting themselves up at a position and not having to worry about it for a while.  That's supposed to be an earmark of "the plan" - filling positional voids for years and years and complementing those centerpieces with necessary acquisitions.