Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 161363 times)

Offline KingJeremy

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #1875: July 28, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »
Drinking at the Elevator Brewing Co. in Columbus this evening during a 24-hour overnighter.  Had the Fly'n Hydrant Light and the Bleeding Buckeye Ale.  Nothing new in the brew department, really.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #1876: July 29, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »
:az:

Flying DOG, of course. What did you expect? It's 9.2% alcohol, and 2 of them on an empty stomach and I'm back in Fantasyland.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1877: July 31, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »
Just drank some Young's double chocolate stout I found at Wegman's.    Not bad but I wouldn't wanna drink too much.   It's heavy.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1878: July 31, 2011, 03:47:48 PM »
Young's is really good.  I'd like to compare it side by side with a few other chocolate stoudts, such as Brooklyn's.  We like to mix it with 1/2 of an IPA

Just drank some Young's double chocolate stout I found at Wegman's.    Not bad but I wouldn't wanna drink too much.   It's heavy.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1879: July 31, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
Young's does not suck.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1880: July 31, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »

I had that at a restaurant in Hershey on a trip to see the Bears play. It was decent but not really my style for the most part. I'd have to be selective on what I drank it with.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1881: August 01, 2011, 08:01:32 AM »
I had that at a restaurant in Hershey on a trip to see the Bears play. It was decent but not really my style for the most part. I'd have to be selective on what I drank it with.

Yes indeed.   I told Mrs. Mitlen that one of them is plenty.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1882: August 01, 2011, 08:03:08 AM »
Young's does not suck.

Doesn't suck at all, just heavy.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1883: August 01, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »
Young's does not suck.

It certainly doesn't...sadly, though, it's no longer produced at the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth (victim of development, 2006) - they merged their brewing operations with Charles Wells (best known for Bombardier, one of the most popular guest ales in central London), and this Wells & Youngs brewing operation is all conducted now at Wells' Eagle Brewery in Bedford.

Fuller's is now the only major still brewing in London.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1884: August 01, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Has anyone tried Rogue's Chocolate Stout ?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1885: August 10, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »
http://www.930.com/menu/

Going to see Volbeat tonight, and damned if they don't have a killer beer selection now.

• babble on
« Reply #1886: August 11, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
Volbeat's pretty good for a bunch of Danes.

http://www.930.com/menu/

Going to see Volbeat tonight, and damned if they don't have a killer beer selection now.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1887: August 11, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Volbeat's pretty good for a bunch of Danes.

Live they are one of the best bands I've ever seen.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1889: August 11, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »
I thought Fat Tire was already here.  So does anyone know where it will be served ?

Fat Tire scheduled for DC area on August 22:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/new-belgium-brewing-expands-into-maryland-virginia-and-washington-dc-on-august-22-1547143.htm

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1890: August 11, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Leinenkugel summer shandy is quite good.

• babble on
« Reply #1891: August 12, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »
It is!  I started drinking shandy when I was 10.  Still love it.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1892: August 12, 2011, 04:36:05 AM »
It's not my "cup of tea", sort of speak.  But to each his own

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1893: August 12, 2011, 05:09:51 AM »
It certainly doesn't...sadly, though, it's no longer produced at the Ram Brewery in Wandsworth (victim of development, 2006) - they merged their brewing operations with Charles Wells (best known for Bombardier, one of the most popular guest ales in central London), and this Wells & Youngs brewing operation is all conducted now at Wells' Eagle Brewery in Bedford.

Fuller's is now the only major still brewing in London.

Well's, by the way, has their own wacky flavor: Banana Bread Beer. I can vouch for it. It doesn't merely taste like bananas, it actually genuinely tastes like banana bread; the resemblance is shocking. It is literally liquid banana bread with alcohol. You probably wouldn't want to down three or four of them, but the novelty value is stupendous.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1894: August 12, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »
Well's, by the way, has their own wacky flavor: Banana Bread Beer. I can vouch for it. It doesn't merely taste like bananas, it actually genuinely tastes like banana bread; the resemblance is shocking. It is literally liquid banana bread with alcohol. You probably wouldn't want to down three or four of them, but the novelty value is stupendous.

i'll vouch for it too. pretty much how i would describe it. do i want desert or do i want beer? might as well go with the banana bread beer

• babble on
« Reply #1895: August 13, 2011, 12:01:31 AM »
Young's chocolate stout pretty much fits that bill.  It's like a Sacher torte in a bottle.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1896: August 13, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »
There is a special "Kill The Keg" beer competition & dinner this Wednesday 8/17 at MadFox in Falls Church.  There will be beer from 5 or 6 local breweries (such as Port City, DC Brau and some others that are new to the area).  The goal will be to see which beer goes quickest  But this will be a great beer & food event.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1897: August 13, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
There is a special "Kill The Keg" beer competition & dinner this Wednesday 8/17 at MadFox in Falls Church.  There will be beer from 5 or 6 local breweries (such as Port City, DC Brau and some others that are new to the area).  The goal will be to see which beer goes quickest  But this will be a great beer & food event.

Port City and DC Brau :az:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1898: August 13, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »
From the Washington Post:

Get a taste of D.C. Beer Week
By Fritz Hahn, Published: August 11
If your beer-loving friends have been canceling dinner plans for next week, don’t take it personally. The annual D.C. Beer Week begins Sunday with a booze cruise on the Potomac, and bars and restaurants across Washington and Northern Virginia will celebrate the week with beer tastings, pairing classes, home-brew contests and meet-the-brewer events. And happy hours. Lots of happy hours.

Some events require reservations and tickets, including a Monday night dinner with Founders Brewing Co. founder Dave Engbers at Birch & Barley ($75) and a New England-themed dinner with Rhode Island’s Trinity Brewhouse at Granville Moore’s on Wednesday ($70), but most are come-as-you-are affairs where you pay only for food and drink. Just one constant piece of advice: If there’s something you’d like to try, arrive early, because kegs will drain quickly. (More details and events are listed on the D.C. Beer Week Web site.)

SUNDAY

Great Lakes Cask Night

2 p.m. ChurchKey, 1337 14th St. NW. www.churchkeydc.com.

When Great Lakes Brewing Co. made its Washington debut at the Big Hunt last summer, the line of Cleveland expats looking for a taste of home stretched down Connecticut Avenue. Expect a similar reaction when ChurchKey debuts five cask- conditioned ales — traditional English-style beers served with excess carbonation — at a special tapping party.

MONDAY

2nd Annual Brooklyn Brawl

7 p.m. Kramerbooks, 1517 Connecticut Ave. NW. www.kramers.com.

Wine and cheese is so 20th century. The new thing is to pair craft beer with craft cheese — a funky blue cheese with a rich stout, or a sharp cheddar with a hoppy ale. Taste seven of Brooklyn Brewery’s beers, including the lemony, zesty Soraci Ace farmhouse ale and the Black Ops, with its notes of bourbon and coffee, coupled with cheese designed to bring out its flavors. Each six-ounce beer and snack it’s paired with runs $7 to $9.

TUESDAY

Homebrewers Match Up IV

6 p.m. Meridian Pint, 3400 11th St. NW, www.meridianpint.com.

Twenty-five D.C. home brewers put their best beers forward at Meridian Pint, and members of the public are invited to sample them all and vote for their favorite.

WEDNESDAY

12 Percent Imports tap takeover

5 p.m. Pizzeria Paradiso, 124 King St., Alexandria. www.eatyourpizza.com.

If you’ve tasted a delicious Belgian ale from a small brewery with an unpronounceable name, there’s a good chance it was brought to America by 12 Percent Imports. The company is putting some rare beers on all 14 of Paradiso’s taps, including the sweet, funky ‘t Gaverhopke Singing Blond Ale, the spicy Sint Canarus Tripel and Cazeau Tournay farmhouse ale. All beers are $4 from 5 to 7 p.m. and $8 after, including a cask-conditioned Stillwater Stateside Saison.

THURSDAY

24 Drafts and One Cask

5 p.m. Meridian Pint, 3400 11th St. NW, www.meridianpint.com.

Meridian Pint is filling its 24 taps and one cask with beers from three of the staff’s favorite breweries: 10 drafts each from Maine’s Allagash and St. Louis’s Schlafly and four drafts and a cask ale from home-town heroes DC Brau. Meanwhile, Andy White, the chef at Schlafly’s tap room, will be grilling “St. Louis-style meats” on the patio.

3 Stars Brewing Co. tasting

6-8 p.m. Kramerbooks. 1517 Connecticut Ave. NW. www.kramers.com.

DC Brau is the local brewery getting all the hype, but D.C.’s second brewery, 3 Stars, will be rolling out its beers this fall. Get a taste of its first two brews — Syndicate Saison and B.W. Rye — at the bar at Kramerbooks. 3 Stars founders Dave Coleman and Mike McGarvey will lead tastings and talk about the grains and hops that impart the flavors. Tastings cost $5.

Starr Hill tap takeover

6 p.m. Iron Horse Tap Room, 507 Seventh St. NW. www.ironhorsedc.com.

A familiar sight to anyone who has spent time in Charlottesville, Starr Hill beers are showing up in more D.C. bars. Brewer Mark Thompson hosts a meet-and-greet at Iron Horse, which will have seven Starr Hills on tap. (Show up early for free glassware, shirts and prizes.)

“Yes, You Can”

5 p.m. Jack Rose Dining Saloon, 2007 18th St. NW. www.jackrosedining
saloon.com.

The biggest trend in craft beer? Putting it in cans. San Francisco’s 21st Amendment brewery has been at the forefront of the movement, and co-owner Dave Wilson will lead a tasting of its brews in one of Jack Rose’s private rooms. To get in, purchase a 21st Amendment koozie at the bar, which is good for discounts on four canned 21st Amendment beers and one draft beer from 5 to 8 p.m.

FRIDAY

Trinity Brewhouse Tap Takeover

4 p.m. Capitol Lounge, 231 Pennsylvania Ave. SE. www.capitolloungedc.com.
202-547-2098.

Talk about a can’t-miss event: Providence’s Trinity Brewhouse is one of the most highly regarded brewpubs in New England, but its beers almost never make it south of Rhode Island. Until D.C. Beer Week, that is. Five Trinity brews, including the Trinity IPA, Decadence Double IPA and Mercy Brown, will be available at Capitol Lounge until the taps run dry.

SATURDAY

Mid-Atlantic Brewery Night

5 p.m. Smith Commons, 1245 H St. NE. www.smithcommonsdc.com.

Over the July Fourth weekend, Smith Commons hosted the DMV brewers’ barbecue. The H Street Lounge is going to recapture some of the magic this week by inviting back all of those local breweries, adding some from Delaware (Evolution, Dogfish Head) and North Carolina (Duck-Rabbit) as well as Baltimore (Brewer’s Art, Oliver Breweries). Taps will rotate throughout the night; expect to pay $5 for pints and $15 for 22-ounce bottles. There will be a menu of $5 “regional” snacks to complement the beers.

First Annual Hot Dog Eating
Championship

7 p.m. Star and Shamrock, 1341 H St. NE. www.starandshamrock.com.

Coney Island is the home of the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. Coney Island is also a line of New York beers. So it’s only natural that the Star and Shamrock’s party with Coney Island brewmaster Jeremy Cowen would feature, well, a hot dog eating contest. Preliminary heats take place at the bar at 9 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, with the finals on Saturday at 7 p.m. Of course, the competition is just a sideshow — step right up to taste Coney Island and its sister He’Brew beers and chat with the man who made them.

Ads by Google
Virtual Phone Numbers
A Mobile Solution For Your Business Communications. 6-Month Free Trial
www.eVoice.com

Vote In Our Palin Poll
Tell Us If You Think Sarah Palin Should Run For President. Vote Now!
www.Townhall.com/SarahPalinPoll

Residence Style Hotel
Premium Business Executive Accomm Full Kitchens. In DC, NYC & Phila.
www.HotelAKA.com

Offline heeman82

« Reply #1899: August 14, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »
Serious cold one action last night at the Bowie Baysox game