Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 168684 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #3500: January 27, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
I hope Davey has a short leash and Rendon destroys worlds in the minors

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #3501: January 27, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
I hope Davey has a short leash and Rendon destroys worlds in the minors

I would prefer this but no harm in getting some production from Espinosa. Maybe it would raise his trade value and we can flip him for pieces like we did with Morse.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #3502: January 27, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
I would prefer this but no harm in getting some production from Espinosa. Maybe it would raise his trade value and we can flip him for pieces like we did with Morse.

It sounds like he didn't get surgery. I'm betting he struggles to hit like last year.

Offline PC

« Reply #3503: January 27, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
I don't get not having the surgery now, at all...or back in October/November.  Does he plan on playing with this injury for his entire career?  If not, why have the surgery then instead of now?

Does he plan on becoming a great player over the next few years playing with a torn rotator cuff so that when he finally has the surgery he won't have to worry about losing his job?  Really???

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3504: January 27, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
It sounds like he didn't get surgery. I'm betting he struggles to hit like last year.

Of course he didn't get surgery. He's only said that in every interview he's given about it................

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #3505: January 27, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
I don't get not having the surgery now, at all...or back in October/November.  Does he plan on playing with this injury for his entire career?  If not, why have the surgery then instead of now?

Does he plan on becoming a great player over the next few years playing with a torn rotator cuff so that when he finally has the surgery he won't have to worry about losing his job?  Really???

I agree with you.  He'd be less likely to lose his job if he got surgery and came back strong than if tries to play through this but plays poorly.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3506: January 27, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Not getting rotator cuff surgery sounds like madness.

Offline PC

« Reply #3507: January 27, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »

I doubt he'd pass the physical from another team with a torn rotator cuff.  I'm pretty sure he's untradeable until he has the surgery.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #3508: January 27, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
Not getting rotator cuff surgery sounds like madness.

It does. He's going to struggle again. Then he'll end up on the 60 day DL

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3509: January 27, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
Trollman, how would you know? You obviously haven't read anything about it.

You still don't even know if he underwent surgery or not.

Offline NatsTheFats

« Reply #3510: January 28, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »
Espy is gone/hurt.  Lombo is here/not hurt. 

If there was ever a team that can replace him, it is the Nats!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3511: January 28, 2013, 07:59:28 AM »
Nope.  I'm betting that after he starts playing, he'll get inflammation, be unable to lift his arm over his head (a skill needed for fielding), and he'll have to stop for surgery, (as did LaRoche in 2011):

"Espinosa opted against surgery on his shoulder and instead focused on strengthening the muscles around the torn rotator cuff. Since it is already torn, Espinosa said he can’t do further damage to the shoulder by playing this season. He was cleared to begin swinging a bat at the beginning of the month and resumed full batting practice in the past week. He does not expect to be limited in spring training. “My swing feels really good – better than it did last year,” Espinosa said. “I’m really confident in my swing right now. Maybe it’s because I have the confidence knowing my shoulder’s all right, but I do feel really good.”"

:doh:

Moronic.

Offline blue911

« Reply #3512: January 28, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »

The rotator cuff is a group of four tendons and muscles that converge around the top of the humerus, the upper arm bone above the elbow. Together, they form a ''cuff'' that both holds your arm in place and allows it to move in different directions. While your shoulder is one of your most mobile joints, it's also somewhat weak.

What's the Treatment for a Rotator Cuff Tear?

As bad as these injuries can be, the good news is that many rotator cuff tears heal on their own. You just need to give them a little time. You also should:

Rest the joint as much as possible. Avoid any movement or activity that hurts. You may need a sling.
    Ice your shoulder two to three times a day to reduce pain and swelling.
    Perform range-of-motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    Consider physical therapy to strengthen the joint.
    Use anti-inflammatory painkillers, or NSAIDS, like Advil, Aleve, or Motrin. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally, unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.

More serious rotator cuff tears require surgery. One procedure is shoulder arthroscopy, usually an outpatient procedure. During an arthroscopy, the patient is put to sleep with general anesthesia. A small camera is inserted into the shoulder to see and repair the rotator cuff tear. If the tear is very large or involves more than one tendon, a small incision may be needed. Following arthroscopy, the a

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/rotator-cuff-tear

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #3513: January 28, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
I found the article from Zuckerman on LaRoche - http://www.natsinsider.com/2011/06/laroche-has-surgery-to-repair-large.html

He had a tear in his labrum.

Here's some crap, LaRoche actually did have a torn rotator cuff, in the same shoulder, in the months preceding his SLAP tear.

Quote from: 4/12/11
The day off will at least give LaRoche's shoulder some rest. He is also nursing a slight tear in his left rotator cuff.

Quote from: 10/19/11
During Spring Training, LaRoche was diagnosed with a torn labrum. By late May, he began to feel that the shoulder was hurting his swing. In 43 games, LaRoche was hitting .172 with three home runs and 15 RBIs.

While the shoulder didn't hurt when he swung the bat, LaRoche felt it was weak and was the reason he could not generate much power.

The only time his shoulder was in pain was when he threw the baseball. LaRoche was told that he could play the entire season with the injury.

However, before the month of May came to a close, LaRoche wanted to get a second opinion on the shoulder and went to New York. It was then he was given the bad news about his rotator cuff.

Quote from: 1/3/12
Last Spring Training, LaRoche was diagnosed with a torn labrum and rotator cuff. He only played in 43 games, hitting .172 with three home runs and 15 RBIs, before having surgery on his left shoulder in June.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3514: January 28, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »
He did consult with Yocum, so I'm slow to say it is wrong to think that an offseason of rehab and rest cannot work. That said, I'd feel better if he weren't a middle infielder who dives a lot.  I'm expecting at some point he will bang the thing up trying to stop a ball, and at that point, it is kaput.  Until then, the rehab could keep him on the field.

Didn't Pujols play a year with a shoulder issue, or was it that he needed TJ?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3515: January 28, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
He did consult with Yocum, so I'm slow to say it is wrong to think that an offseason of rehab and rest cannot work. That said, I'd feel better if he weren't a middle infielder who dives a lot.  I'm expecting at some point he will bang the thing up trying to stop a ball, and at that point, it is kaput.  Until then, the rehab could keep him on the field.

Didn't Pujols play a year with a shoulder issue, or was it that he needed TJ?

TJ. To my knowledge, still hasn't undergone any surgery.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #3516: January 28, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
I was listening to a team doctor after RG3's injury. He said that with ligament tears in the knee (not a direct translation, but still) the decision about whether to get surgery vs. rest and rehab is made partially by the lifestyle of the patient. He said in most cases, the kind of partial tears that RG3 suffered would not require surgery for an average person, because the extensive PT required would have more of an adverse impact on the patient than the positive impact of a rebuilt knee.

However, in a professional athlete, it's (a) their JOB to put in the PT necessary to rehab, and (b) they require so much more out of their body that they get a much bigger positive effect from the surgery than an average patient. That's why the doctors always perform surgery on partially torn knee ligaments for athletes, but rarely for regular patients.

In any case, long story short - I'll be pissed if Espinosa's injury reoccurs this year. Just because my dad can do rest and rehab for a RC tear (which happened) does not mean it's appropriate for a professional athlete to do the same.

I don't want to be reminded of LaRon Landry dicking around with an injury just to avoid surgery.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #3517: January 28, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
Fix the shoulder. Let Espinosa take the two months to rehab, and return as healthy as possible. The team did well enough last August when Lombo played 2B.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3518: January 28, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
One of you Twitter guys ask Will Carroll what he thinks.

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #3519: January 29, 2013, 04:24:03 AM »
I think that it is madness that the shoulder has gone untreated.  He should have received the surgery in November and he'd he on the road to recovery as we speak.  Lombardozzi is definitely capable of handling the job while he'd be away.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #3520: January 29, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »
I really hope they give Rendon some reps at 2nd base in the minors.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #3521: January 29, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I really hope they give Rendon some reps at 2nd base in the minors.

+1.

Given my expertise on Rendon (having watched him in one game late in the Harrisburg season...), he looks like a confident 3B but not quite ready for advanced pitching. Needs about a season to "pass" AA and hit AAA. With luck, he could hit ML pitching by August.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3522: January 29, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
The Wally Pipp potential is high for Espinosa if Rendon has a decent spring and early season in the minors. 

how shocked would anyone be if the 2015 infield were a Skole / Moore
<============
at 1st, Rendon at 2d, Desmond SS, and RZ at 3d?

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #3523: January 29, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »
I don't get the Rendon at 2nd talk. His ankles are too fragile...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3524: January 29, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
After last season,  there is wally pip potential with Lombo.