Author Topic: Soccer Thread (2012)  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Soccer Thread (2012)
« Topic Start: January 02, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
Arsenal's back four need to get it together...

EDIT BY CHIEF:

Beginning of previous Soccer thread (20011) - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=22216.0

End of previous Soccer thread (2011) - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=22216.msg917893#msg917893

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Soccer Thread (2012)
« Reply #1: January 02, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »

Was pulling for the Wolves earlier.

• babble on
« Reply #2: January 02, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
Good man
Was pulling for the Wolves earlier.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: January 02, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »

They should have gone after Werder Bremen's other CB, Naldo.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: January 02, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
only saw the second half. dempsey just missed that sweet header when he launched over Murdersoccer.
that bryan ruiz guy seems to be getting better. and fry (wherever he came from) is dangerous. only started noticing him a couple games ago

• babble on
« Reply #5: January 02, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
Arsenal was in tatters after the red card.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #6: January 02, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »
Nice goal from Kari Arnason

There's another video taken from further away, and with sound - I'll see if I can get that one

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #7: January 02, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
This is taken by a Dundee United fan -  when the crowd erupts, its very loud.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: January 04, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
Just got home and am surprised by the NC/MU score.   

PS  Tim Howard, a goalie, scored a goal in another game.

• babble on
« Reply #9: January 04, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
That game had one of the best PKs I've ever seen (and one of the most comical own goals of all time)
Just got home and am surprised by the NC/MU score.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: January 04, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
That game had one of the best PKs I've ever seen (and one of the most comical own goals since Brandi Chastain's in the 1999 WWC)

Indeed, saw it on the replay.   Did you see Howard's goal?   That was the craps.    The own goal, was as the commentators said, "bad communication".

• babble on
« Reply #11: January 04, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
I'll bet Man U's locker room is a frightening place right now.  Did not see Tim H's goal, will need to find it online.  That happens so rarely in soccer (unless you count those crazy Latin American goalies like Campos and Chilavert who used to take PKs for their teams). 

Indeed, saw it on the replay.   Did you see Howard's goal?   That was the craps.    The own goal, was as the commentators said, "bad communication".

Offline mitlen

« Reply #12: January 04, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
I'll bet Man U's locker room is a frightening place right now.  Did not see Tim H's goal, will need to find it online.  That happens so rarely in soccer (unless you count those crazy Latin American goalies like Campos and Chilavert who used to take PKs for their teams). 

It may have been wind aided but it was real.   :)

Fergie ain't happy.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #13: January 06, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
DC United fixture list for 2012 is now out: http://www.dcunited.com/schedule

Offline mitlen

« Reply #14: January 06, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
DC United fixture list for 2012 is now out: http://www.dcunited.com/schedule

Who do you recommend?    Let's say three to five games at RFK.

• babble on
« Reply #15: January 06, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
The best rivalries are NY, New England, Chicago, Columbus, and LA Galaxy (all are original MLS teams and the hate runs deep).  Even though they are a new expansion team, there's usually some good hatin' with Philly for obvious reasons.  KC is an original team, but no one really cares about them.  Seattle usually has a good atmosphere (a surprising number of their fans travel all the way across the country), ditto Toronto.  Dallas, Salt Lake, Houston, Chivas, and San Jose games are usually boring. 

We now have Vancouver and Portland (since last year), and now Montreal in the league...I'll bet a lot of Montreal fans will make the trip down, as the team had a big following in the lower leagues.

[edit: and if you like to hear teenage girls screaming, David Beckham is with LA Galaxy for another year]

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: January 06, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
The best rivalries are NY, New England, Chicago, Columbus, and LA Galaxy (all are original MLS teams and the hate runs deep).  Even though they are a new expansion team, there's usually some good hatin' with Philly for obvious reasons.  KC is an original team, but no one really cares about them.  Seattle usually has a good atmosphere (a surprising number of their fans travel all the way across the country), ditto Toronto.  Dallas, Salt Lake, Houston, Chivas, and San Jose games are usually boring. 

We now have Vancouver and Portland (since last year), and now Montreal in the league...I'll bet a lot of Montreal fans will make the trip down, as the team had a big following in the lower leagues.

[edit: and if you like to hear teenage girls screaming, David Beckham is with LA Galaxy for another year]

Part II    Not to be a prude, but I don't wanna be in the drum banging section.    Seats?

• babble on
« Reply #17: January 06, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
The so-called "quiet side" even has some seats that still work!

Part II    Not to be a prude, but I don't wanna be in the drum banging section.    Seats?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: January 06, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
The so-called "quiet side" even has some seats that still work!

Do they bounce?    LOL     Which side is the "quiet side"?    Are the mezzanine seats available?

• babble on
« Reply #19: January 06, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
It's the side behind the team benches...the bouncy seats are on the loud side where the supporters groups are.  Mezzanine seats are actually a good place to watch the game (I like field level for the atmosphere, but you are better off being a ways up if you want to see the 'big picture' of plays developing, formations, etc).

Do they bounce?    LOL     Which side is the "quiet side"?    Are the mezzanine seats available?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #20: January 06, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
It's the side behind the team benches...the bouncy seats are on the loud side where the supporters groups are.  Mezzanine seats are actually a good place to watch the game (I like field level for the atmosphere, but you are better off being a ways up if you want to see the 'big picture' of plays developing, formations, etc).

I had Dips season tickets on the "quiet side" (wasn't noise anywhere back then).    Might check the mezzanine.    Thanks for the info  ...

Offline Dave B

« Reply #21: January 06, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »

anything on a saturday for tailgating. early and late season because tailgating in the dead of summer sucks, but is still doable.

it really helps to be drunk and sit on the north side toward the eastern end. basicall what was center field. the noisy area. its basically lawless though non violent. like a non violent riot. you can throw beer and light off smoke bombs, maybe even firecrackers

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #22: January 06, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
If you don't drink would it be miserable to do so or still enjoyable?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #23: January 06, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »

my gf would say it is miserable. i could enjoy it as a nice night outside. i would probably sit in the upper level and kick back, have the whole section to myself. start to finish, a soccer game will really only take about an hour and fifty minutes.

its really hit or miss. you could watch a 0-0 crapfest with no shots on goal. by the time you realize it sucks, there are only 45 minutes left, though. the cheapest tickets at the gate are in the low 20's. you probably get under 20 on stubhub if you just buy the cheapest ticket and want to sit anywhere besides the prime rowdy area.

low cost. not much of a time commitment.

united should be decent this year.  they really went to crap once chris pontius got hurt.  pontius, najar, and derosario are a very strong trio. najar got his sophomore slump out of the way and should improve just based on the fact his is under 20 years old

• babble on
« Reply #24: January 07, 2012, 01:08:51 PM »
I think you would need to check to see whether you had a pulse if you found it to be miserable, but that's just me.  And I probably can't comment objectively on this matter anyways.