Author Topic: All-Prospect Team?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
All-Prospect Team?
« Topic Start: June 06, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
Weird thread I am thinking of starting that will take some thought probably.

Here goes some of the obvious ones.

C: Luke Montz
1B:Chris Marrero
2B: Stephen King
LF: Mike Daniels
CF:Roger Bernadina
RF:Michael Burgess
SP: Aaron Crow, Ross Detwiler, Jordan Zimermann, VanAllen, Smoker, Clippard, Ballester
RP:Zinicola

Offline ronnynat

Re: All-Prospect Team?
« Reply #1: June 06, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »
RF: Burgess

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: June 06, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
LF: Daniel
CF: Maxwell or Bernadina?
C: Montz
1B: Rhinehart
2B: Rogelstad
SS: Stephen King

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: June 06, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
Sp: Crow

:D

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: June 06, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
RP: Zinicola

natsfan

« Reply #5: June 08, 2008, 01:07:04 PM »
King at SS is interesting...I have felt the same way and have seen him in Vierra during both of his Springs, extended and GCL.  I think he is "protecting" his legs after tweaking that hamstring again early this season, and will need to find a way to stay at 100%.  Smolinski did a great job this year after a very slow start before his injury, and I see him in the picture (at 2B) also.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: June 08, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »
Maxwell at CF.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #7: June 08, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »
Here's mine:

SP: Crow, Detwiller, Zimmerman, Ballester, Mock(we have some with more potential in the system but none with similar results)
C: L. Montz
1B: C. Marrero
2B: E. Gonzalez
SS: S. Bynum
3B: S. King(Idk where he'll end up but he's playing 3rd in Hagerstown)
LF: M. Daniel
CF: R. Bernadina(No Maxwell, until he can stay off the DL for one season)
RF: M. Burgess

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #8: June 12, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »
good idea for a thread, here is what I am thinking at this point:

C: Luke Montz
1B:  Bill Rhinehart
2B:  Matt Rogelstad
SS:  Stephen King
3B:  Leonard Davis
LF:  Mike Daniel
CF:  Roger Bernadina
RF:  Michael Burgess
SPs:  Alan Alaniz, Jordan Zimmerman, Colin Ballester, Cory VanAllen, Garrett Mock
RP:  Martin Beno/Zech Zinicola

Montz to me is a no brainer at this point in the season at catcher.  I gave Marrero consideration at 1B, but mostly due to the hype surrounding him.  Rhinehart in my mind has been amazing this year (as is evident by his 56 RBIs thus far - sixth in all of the minor leagues).  At second, I see no clear prospect unless you want to consider a player like King a 2B.  Smolinski and King are both decent middle infielders at the minor league level, but I do not know how far they are going to go.  Middle infield is the biggest weakness in our minor league system, in my opinion of course.  At 3B, Leonard Davis even after  a brief sojourn on the DL, has a .318 avg, 11 HR, and leads Potomac in SLG pct (.608).  In the outfield, I gave consideration to Edgardo Baez, but ultimately I think that the trio of Bernadina, Burgess, and Daniel have the best shot at cracking the MLB team (also Maxwell, but he is on the DL).  As for the pitchers, we have so many that will most likely be good to great pitchers and selecting only five is more of personal preference.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: June 12, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »
Blake Stouffer could be an answer at 2b.  We selected him in rd 4 last year but he went back to school for his sr year.  He had a huge jr year but fell all the way to rd. 13 this year and could potentially be a very good option in the middle of that infield.  Espinoza who we took in the 3rd round is great with the glove but has some work to do with the bat.  We'll see how that one plays out.  I think those two are a good step in the right direction though towards fixing our depth up the middle.

Offline PennSkinsFan

• DC Pro Sports Report
« Reply #10: June 13, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »
Good call JMU.  You have to put Leonard Davis on there.  Davis is hitting for power and is hitting over .300.  Heck, check out his stats over his last 10 games, hitting .500 (17/34).  Kid that deserves at least a bench role on that list is OF Aaron Suess from Hagerstown.  Having a good season after impressing in Vermont.   Relief pitcher you have to throw in Josh Wilkie.  Has a 1.09 ERA and 0.53 over his last 10 games. 

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: June 13, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »
Good call JMU.  You have to put Leonard Davis on there.  Davis is hitting for power and is hitting over .300.  Heck, check out his stats over his last 10 games, hitting .500 (17/34).  Kid that deserves at least a bench role on that list is OF Aaron Suess from Hagerstown.  Having a good season after impressing in Vermont.   Relief pitcher you have to throw in Josh Wilkie.  Has a 1.09 ERA and 0.53 over his last 10 games. 

I will have to agree that Suess deserves some consideration, although I would like to see him become a little more selective with his pitch selection (only 11 BB to 46 Ks).  I did overlook Wilkie, the guy has been pitching his best stuff recently, the more I think about it he should have been promoted to AA over Carr.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: June 13, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »
Blake Stouffer could be an answer at 2b.  We selected him in rd 4 last year but he went back to school for his sr year. 

I found this reference puzzling, since I know we signed our top 20 picks last year.  I went back through the last three years draft and couldn't find Stouffer in any of them.  Did someone else draft him in 4th round?

Offline gonats

« Reply #13: June 13, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »
C- Luke Montz
1B- Chris Marrero
2B- Stephen King
3B- Kory Casto
SS- Esmailyn Gonzalez
LF- Mike Daniel
CF- Destin Hood
RF- Michael Burgess

SP- Aaron Crow
SP- Ross Detwiler
SP- Josh Smoker
SP- Jordan Zimmermann
SP- Colin Balester

RP- Zech Zinicola
RP- Adam Carr

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #14: June 13, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »
I found this reference puzzling, since I know we signed our top 20 picks last year.  I went back through the last three years draft and couldn't find Stouffer in any of them.  Did someone else draft him in 4th round?

Drafted 139th overall last year by the Cincinnati Reds, I think he might have dropped this year b/c because he switched positions (not entirely sure)

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #15: June 13, 2008, 10:00:17 PM »
^^

found this on the Nationals Farm Authority Website about Stouffer:

"13th round pick 2B Blake Stouffer from Texas A&M who turned down 4th round money from the Reds last year to return to school. PGCC scouting “He played shortstop in high school and still tells scouts that he thinks of himself as a shortstop. He never has had a defined position and split his time during the 2007 season between first base, third base and the outfield. He’s been used at a new position this spring, second base, and appeared to settle in there nicely defensively but was very slow with the bat to start the 2008 season. He’s mainly a line-drive, gap-to-gap hitter with quickness in his hands and occasional pull-side power. Stouffer has run a 6.6-second 60 for scouts and stole 22 bases last season, but most don’t see him as a speed player who is ideally suited for the middle of the field. They are equally challenged to see Stouffer having the kind of power associated with a corner player. But the bottom line is Stouffer is a ball player; his dad played professionally and scouts really appreciate his skills and the way he plays the game. His versatility enhances his overall value” & “Stouffer’s decision to bypass fourth-round money appears to have backfired from a draft point of view, although he was able to play an important role in the surprising success of Texas A&M this spring. Stouffer didn’t hit with anywhere the consistency or power he showed as a junior (.260-5-34 during the regular season). On the plus side, his defense at second base matured and his range stood out at times” … He gambled and lost. Could be an intriguing guy"

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: June 14, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »
I had heard somewhere that we had taken him last year too...sorry, I didn't double check that, probably should have.  I've seen him play in person a couple of times and has potential, had a huge year last year.