Author Topic: Maxwell: A big 2009?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Maxwell: A big 2009?
« Topic Start: August 04, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »
He will probably start off in Harrisburg but he will wind-up in Columbus in no time. I was looking through numbers and learned how to evaluate BB/K's. He has 31 BB: 28 K's although the average is low he has an amazing BB:K ratio. You have to wonder wil 2009 be a year were he gets walks and hits like he can? He would be one amazing OF prospect if he did being a speedy 6'5 245 pounder. He really is better than I thought he was.

DemLerners

Re: Maxwell: A big 2009?
« Reply #1: August 04, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
He will probably start off in Harrisburg but he will wind-up in Columbus in no time. I was looking through numbers and learned how to evaluate BB/K's. He has 31 BB: 28 K's although the average is low he has an amazing BB:K ratio. You have to wonder wil 2009 be a year were he gets walks and hits like he can? He would be one amazing OF prospect if he did being a speedy 6'5 245 pounder. He really is better than I thought he was.

Then again, the whole hitting thing might also need to be improved.

I could see him doing great though.

« Reply #2: August 04, 2008, 06:28:53 PM »
One can hope. I'd really love to see this kid make the team permanently.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #3: August 04, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »
One can hope. I'd really love to see this kid make the team permanently.

He gets hurt to easily and I don't think we can expect much of him as a regular starter at any level.

« Reply #4: August 04, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
He gets hurt to easily and I don't think we can expect much of him as a regular starter at any level.

If that is the case then you have to wonder how much rope he will be given considering how long we tolerate(d) Shawn Hill, Dmitri Young, Alex Escobar, Nick Johnson, John Patterson all on the same team or in the system at the same time.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #5: August 04, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »
If that is the case then you have to wonder how much rope he will be given considering how long we tolerate(d) Shawn Hill, Dmitri Young, Alex Escobar, Nick Johnson, John Patterson all on the same team or in the system at the same time.

I'm hoping they have learned their lesson about that.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: August 04, 2008, 08:06:56 PM »

You mean the Dmitri Young who played in 136 games last season? The rest of the guys you can make a case for, but Dmitri was healthy all of last season. I don't see how in the world you can lump him in that group.

We all know you dislike the guy, but calling him injury-prone is a stretch. He may be fat, but not a glass figure like Hill, Patterson, or Johnson.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: August 04, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »
You mean the Dmitri Young who played in 136 games last season? The rest of the guys you can make a case for, but Dmitri was healthy all of last season.
Obviously not if he played 136 games.  He had a minor injury that didn't keep him out too long, thankfully, but this year he's been riddled with injuries.  The guy is morbidly overweight with back problems and diabetes.  Calling him injury prone is not out of line.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: August 04, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »
Obviously not if he played 136 games.  He had a minor injury that didn't keep him out too long, thankfully, but this year he's been riddled with injuries.  The guy is morbidly overweight with back problems and diabetes.  Calling him injury prone is not out of line.

It's not like he has a history of injuries like the players NOTLD mentioned. I looked at his stats and he constantly played over 130 games. This year he came in overweight and that put him behind the eight-ball right off of the bat. Unacceptable, in my opinion. The fact that he's on the DL because he's so fat is a joke, but he can produce at the plate, so it's not like we should just cut all ties with him.

And yes he's got diabetes which obviously affect him, but even with that he's never been a "Patterson." Not even close.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #9: August 04, 2008, 11:14:28 PM »
We could trade him if he hits well next year in Columbus, a deadline deal for a non-OF prospect.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: August 05, 2008, 12:45:36 AM »

it's shawn hill with a bat.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #11: August 05, 2008, 02:34:32 AM »
It's not like he has a history of injuries like the players NOTLD mentioned. I looked at his stats and he constantly played over 130 games. This year he came in overweight and that put him behind the eight-ball right off of the bat. Unacceptable, in my opinion. The fact that he's on the DL because he's so fat is a joke, but he can produce at the plate, so it's not like we should just cut all ties with him.

And yes he's got diabetes which obviously affect him, but even with that he's never been a "Patterson." Not even close.
He hasn't had diabetes that long, though.  I think he just found out about it in 2006.    He has not played a full season since then.

Diabetes makes it very hard to keep one's weight under control, and Dmitri's weight problem can exacerbate any back problems he has; ergo, his diabetes can make him prone to injuries.  It's a small sample size, but this is a legitimate concern.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: August 05, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »

I would say he has about 3 years worth of rope, maybe 2: however long he is under our control and costs next to nothing. He wont be "pattersoned". Maybe traded, but not for nothing.