Author Topic: Scouts Rip Our Pitching on the Farm :'(  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Scouts Rip Our Pitching on the Farm :'(
« Topic Start: July 19, 2008, 11:08:54 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/17/AR2008071702843.html?sid=ST2008071703069&pos=

"For me, there isn't anybody who knocks your socks off," one scout said. "They have a few arms," another said. "But to say pitching is the one thing in their organization that's the best they've got coming, I don't see it. I hate to be so critical. I almost feel bad now. I want to say something positive. . . . I wonder why they don't have that one guy in the organization who can come in and strike fear into major league hitters."

I found this comment in disheartening. :'( It almost makes it sound like the clown car mentality has a stranglehold on the entire organization. If its as bad as this guy claims I can understand the calm acceptance of loss after loss by the teams management.

Please tell me that these scouts are wrong.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Scouts Rip Our Pitching on the Farm :'(
« Reply #1: July 19, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
It's his opinion. And in reality it may be a more objective assessment than what we would get from within our organization. However, some guys unexpectedly come into their own and that's what I'm hoping happens for a couple of our arms.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: July 19, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
We only really need two or three to exceed expectations at this point (my prediction: Zimmermann, Martis, Balester). The rest are #4 and #5 starters and/or future trade bait.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: July 19, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
There are a lot of things you can not see as a scout and as a a result they project guys.  We have a lot of guys in our system that are one pitch in their arsenal or a few more strikes in the zone away from being good-great pitchers.  We have a few guys in our system (Detwiler, McGeary, hopefully Crow) that could 'possibly' become ace material one day. Will they?  Maybe or maybe not, but they are putting the guys in the system and hoping one or two of them emerges from the pack.  Who knows, J Zimm could easily end up being a decent #2 or #3 guy, Alaniz could be a great anchor to the rotation, and Smoker may one day being dusting off batters like they are flies. On the flip side, we could see a guy like Detwiler never find a secondary pitch or Martis may be a AAA at best.  Its the old Branch Rickey mantra "from quantity comes quality."

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #4: July 19, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
I think our organization's prospect pool is on the right track, but Kasten and Bowden hype it up way too much. I don't blame them, but they make it seem like we're top of the league, when in reality we're not. We seem to have a lot of 3-5 guys who could make the majors and be solid, but lack true #1 pitchers. I agree with the scout that said we don't have anyone who can dominate MLB hitters down the line. Crow may be our best bet.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: July 19, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
Well nobody really thought that much of Lannan, and look where he is now.

While I'd agree that we don't really have a perennial All Star in the system right now, I think signing Crow and/or getting Strasburg with the first pick next year will change that in a heartbeat.

« Reply #6: July 19, 2008, 05:06:13 PM »
F**k the scouts. No wonder JimBo skimmed off the top of their paychecks.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #7: July 19, 2008, 10:34:35 PM »
I don't agree with this too much. our system was ranked 9th best in the majors. was it because of our standout hitting? no. it was the pitching. so we must be doing something right.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #8: July 20, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »
I always hate the one scout says quotes. They never tell you what the scout scouts or what team they work for, or how respected they are. It just leads me to believe that the reporter asked 20 scouts and used the quote he wanted.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: July 20, 2008, 09:33:25 AM »
I always hate the one scout says quotes. They never tell you what the scout scouts or what team they work for, or how respected they are. It just leads me to believe that the reporter asked 20 scouts and used the quote he wanted.

I feel the same way. I hate anonymous quotes, how valid is somebodies opinion when they won't have their name attached. Whenever I see the term "high ranking official" I always think that the reporter is talking to a sock puppet.

Offline balzig777

« Reply #10: July 20, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
Scouts are looking out for number 1 but in so doing they most times step in number two, Their jobs depend on viewing players for a limited time and then trying to make an assesment of projected talent, Thats the # 2 part

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #11: July 26, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »
Who cares, to be honest we really don't have any big shot other than Zimmermann. A team only needs one ace and as for the rest it is safe to say we will find a few decent pitchers not to mention the possible trade-bait we are stacked with...who cares?

Offline RD

« Reply #12: July 29, 2008, 07:36:43 PM »
I would tend to agree with what the scout is saying. Do we have an ace in our system? A top 25 prospect in all of baseball?  None of the pitchers scream that type of potential.

Zimmerman looks like he could have the makings of a solid #2, but even he's not an ace. As soon as Crow signs, we have one. Then things begin to fall into place. We have the ace, a good #2, and the rest of the guys are middle/back end of the rotation type of guys. We have a slew of those. The scouts aren't going to get excited about those types, which I believe is where these comments are directed at. So I don't think it's a big deal.

DemLerners

« Reply #13: August 04, 2008, 02:30:42 AM »
I don't agree with this too much. our system was ranked 9th best in the majors. was it because of our standout hitting? no. it was the pitching. so we must be doing something right.

You'd be surprised how high depth can get you on BAs rankings. 

Honestly, the only guy I can see being "great" is Zimmerman. I really think he has a chance.

I guess that means I sort of disagree with the scout.

But basing an argument AGAINST a scout on Baseball America's rankings is stupid, because Baseball America is compiled by asking scouts. Everyone has a different opinion, so it's scout vs. scout here.