Author Topic: End of the World Watch  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Copecwby20

Re: End of the World Watch
« Reply #25: December 20, 2012, 04:42:19 AM »
Considering Leap Year didn't exist when the Mayan calendar was created, It's safe to assume that the actual "end of days" as the Mayans predicted has already passed. That being said, I'm never going to turn down an excuse to get wasted on a school night.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #26: December 20, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »
So what time does the world end? Midnight? 11:59pm Friday? What time zone? Figure it's already Friday for a good chunk of the world. Although there I guess the doomdayers get a pass for a few more hours, since the Mayans would have operated on N/S America time.

But inquiring minds need to know what time some guy in his parent's basement reading Simon the Scholar's translation of Nostradamus' reading of Xxxzzzckulu the Mayan's calendar predicted the world would end. I must know so I can tell the thirty prostitutes to swing by a couple hours before with enough hardcore drugs to make Charlie Sheen OD. I'm going out in a blaze of orgy, baby!

How convenient that Xxxzzzckulu could accomodate that by having the world end on a Friday. Dying on a Monday surrounded by hookers, opium, blow, LSD, shrooms and the lot just wouldn't be the same.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #27: December 20, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »
Considering Leap Year didn't exist when the Mayan calendar was created, It's safe to assume that the actual "end of days" as the Mayans predicted has already passed. That being said, I'm never going to turn down an excuse to get wasted on a school night.

Not cool dude, not cool at all trying to ruin my plans. And with lies! Lies! The world ends tomorrow, accept our assured demise. You scared me for a moment, but Google brought an end to your villainy.

The Mayan calendar is very inaccurate when calculating years. Not only did they not account for leap years, they were completely wrong about how many days were in a year. The Mayan “tun” is 360 days long, equivalent of 0.986 years.

However, the date of December 21, 2012, is not based on Mayan tuns. It is based on the total accumulation of days since the beginning of the Mayan calendar. It is commonly accepted that the first date on the Mayan calendar is August 11, 3113 BCE on the Gregorian calendar. Therefore, we must start on that date and count forward in time.

The Mayan baktun is the equivalent of 400 Mayan tuns (years). But remember, their years are only 360 days long. 400 x 360 = 144,000. Therefore, each Mayan baktun is a total of 144,000 days long.

As of the time of posting, the Mayan date is 12.19.19.3.11. The first number represents the baktun, the second number katuns (20 Mayan years), the third number is tuns (Mayan years), the fourth is uinals (20 day “weeks”), and the final number is the day. I know that I’m making some history nut cringe at my over simplification of the Mayan calendar; I’m using “years” and “weeks” to make things easy to understand.

On December 21, 2012, the first number in the Mayan calendar will change from 12 to 13, making it 13.0.0.0.0. The last time this happened was on September 18, 1618, when the current baktun started. As you have already imagined, the Mayan date on that day was 12.0.0.0.0. Obviously, the world didn’t end.

But how do we know that 13.0.0.0.0 will happen on December 21, 2012? First, we need to calculate the total amount of days required to reach the 13th baktun: 144,000 x 13 = 1,872,000 days.

If we start counting from August 11, 3113 BCE, we probably won’t get very far. I don’t know about you, but counting to almost 2 million isn’t something that I have time to do. Instead, use any date calculator to do the math. Sure enough, you’ll always arrive at the same date: December 21, 201

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #28: December 20, 2012, 08:14:35 AM »
Took today and tomorrow off. Much sex will be had with the wife. Much alcohol will be consumed.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #29: December 20, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »
Took today and tomorrow off. Much sex will be had with the wife. Much alcohol will be consumed.

There's a rumor Bud Selig will cancel next year's season and award the WS trophy to the Cubs just so they can win once before it all ends.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #30: December 20, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
Not cool dude, not cool at all trying to ruin my plans. And with lies! Lies! The world ends tomorrow, accept our assured demise. You scared me for a moment, but Google brought an end to your villainy.

Well that's good. I'm seriously, no crap, really looking forward to all out chaos. The thinning of the heard has been a long time coming. I hope all you "anti-gun" people from the other threads stocked up well and good for when I come "grocery shopping"

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #31: December 20, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
And bacon at every meal?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #32: December 20, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
You'll want to stay away from these parts, we've had the zombie crackpocalypse going for years & Saturday will just be business as usual.
Well that's good. I'm seriously, no crap, really looking forward to all out chaos. The thinning of the heard has been a long time coming. I hope all you "anti-gun" people from the other threads stocked up well and good for when I come "grocery shopping"

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #33: December 20, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
And bacon at every meal?

You don't do that on a normal basis already?  :shrug:

Offline imref

« Reply #34: December 20, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
anyone feeling the quantico explosions?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #35: December 20, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
You don't do that on a normal basis already?  :shrug:
Actually, I had bacon at lunch and dinner yesterday, I'm having bacon at dinner tonight, and I might have some leftovers involving bacon tomorrow.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #36: December 20, 2012, 12:51:07 PM »
at least we won't have to listen to patton oswalt anymore.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #37: December 20, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
Lots and lots and lots of sex.  Going out with a bang.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #38: December 20, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Lots and lots and lots of sex.  Going out with a bang.
:groan:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #39: December 20, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
Groan if you want to, but I was reading my Alt-Weekly "The Metroland" and in it is a column about how the end of the world prophecies have traditionally led  to people going on a sex-binge fest in the days/hours leading up to the moment.  And in this column, the writer interviews a sex columnist in Burlington, VT and it has the greatest quote to ever appear in print:

"The threat of total annihilation should be just what they need to rev their engines.  This Thursday (which is today, by the way), people will have sex for the same reasons they always do - connection, comfort, attention, escapism - but the quality will be beter.  With the threat of extinction, humans will bone with abandon, possibly generating the most mind-blowing sex the planet has ever seen."

Everybody get busy tonight and if you're single, head out to the watering holes with apocolypse parties and find the girls with lots of tatoos and daddy issues.  You're likely to get really lucky tonight.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #40: December 20, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
 :rofl:

and if you're single, head out to the watering holes with apocolypse parties and find the girls with lots of tatoos and daddy issues.  You're likely to get really lucky tonight.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #41: December 20, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »
I was groaning at the "with a bang" pun. That was a low, low pun.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #42: December 20, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »
I was groaning at the "with a bang" pun. That was a low, low pun.

It's the end of the world, low comedy is all I have left.  :lol:

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #43: December 20, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
Everybody get busy tonight and if you're single, head out to the watering holes with apocolypse parties and find the girls with lots of tatoos and daddy issues.  You're likely to get really lucky tonight.

Beware sloppy seconds.  :shock:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #44: December 20, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #45: December 20, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
Beware sloppy seconds.  :shock:

By 6:11 a.m. EST they'll all be zombies, dead, or readily available again so I don't think it's going to matter.  :lmao:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #46: December 20, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
World still hasn't ended here at Farragut West. Any word from Foggy Bottom or McPherson Square? Not sure which direction it will come from.

Offline imref

« Reply #47: December 20, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »
i just spoke to some people in Australia, they are still there.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #48: December 20, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
i just spoke to some people in Australia, they are still there.

˙ǝɹǝɥʇ ןןıʇs ǝɹɐ ʎǝɥʇ ,ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ uı ǝןdoǝd ǝɯos oʇ ǝʞods ʇsnɾ ı

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #49: December 20, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »

those girls are great.