Author Topic: 2nd Annual D.C. Baseball History Winter Meeting - Update  (Read 2787 times)

Offline 69 Senators

Join us at our 2nd Annual D.C. Baseball History Winter Meeting. Last year we filled the 50 seats at the meeting this year we will be in a room that will hold 80 seats. FYI, this is a free event. The only reason you would need money during the event is if you decide to buy a book or some other merchandise.

Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014 from 1:00 to 5:00 PM
Guest Speaker: Hank Thomas – author of “Walter Johnson: Baseball’s Big Train” and owner of Phenom Sports
Location: Hilton Garden Inn DC/Bethesda – 7301 Waverly Street, Bethesda, MD 20814

Your Host: Mark Hornbaker , owner of www.dcbaseballhistory.com
Please join us for our second annual D.C. Baseball History Meeting. Last year we filled the 50 seats and this year we will be in a room that holds 80. NOTE: This is a free event and the room accommodates 80 people. Please e-mail Mark Hornbaker at: mhornbaker@comcast.net to reserve your seat. The first 80 people who send Mark an e-mail will be admitted.

Agenda
1:00-2:00 – Pre-made Sandwich Buffet including pre-made deli sandwiches (Ham, Turkey, Roast Beef), mustard, mayonnaise and horseradish, dill pickles, tomatoes and lettuce. Individual bags of chips, assorted whole, fresh fruit, assorted soft drinks and bottled water.

2:00-3:00 – Hank Thomas will speak about his grandfather, Walter Johnson.

3:00-3:30 – Gary Sarnoff will speak on the the 1933 Senators.

3:30-4:00 – Steve Walker will speak on the 1969 Senators.

4:00-4:10 – James Hartley will present Dick Heller, long time sports columnist for the Washington Star, and the Washington Times, with an award that recognizes Dick’s coverage of sports for more than 50 years. The senior sportswriter in Washington, D.C., Dick Heller is best known for his career as columnist and editor for the Washington Star and the Washington Times. His columns on current sports topics and his popular “The Way It Was” series of sports nostalgia can be found at: http://dickheller.wordpress.com/.

4:15-5:00 – Book signings plus other merchandise for sale.

George Case and Jim Vankoski will have copies of the DVD “Ballfield to Battlefield and Back, From FDR to JFK.”

Stephen Walker will be signing and selling his book: “A Whole New Ballgame:The 1969 Washington Senators.”

Karen and Kevin Flynn will be signing and selling their books: A Baseball Diary, Baseball Memories, Tales and Anecdotes, Rise of the Olympics 1869.

J. Thomas Hetrick will be signing and selling his books: “Chris Von der Ahe and the St. Louis Browns,” and “MISFITS! Baseball’s Worst Ever Team.”
Gary Sarnoff will be signing and selling his book, “The Wrecking Crew of ‘33: The Washington Senators’ Last Pennant.”

Hank Thomas will be signing his book: “Walter Johnson: Baseball’s Big Train.”

Jim Hartley will be signing and selling his three books: “Baseball at RFK Stadium,” “Baseball Is Back,” and “Washington’s Expansion Senators.”

Paul Nichols will be selling painted baseballs and 11x14 caricatures of Frank Howard

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: 2nd Annual D.C. Baseball History Winter Meeting
« Reply #1: December 29, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
Cool. Love Mark's sites.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: December 29, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
May have to put this on my winter agenda.     

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #3: December 29, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
mitlen, my guess is it'll be a room full of old guys. We'll be right at home.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #4: December 29, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
Who you calling OLD?

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #5: December 29, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
I hope to drive down for this. Reminds me of the Nats Fest, which the Washington Baseball Historical Society during the "long road trip" before baseball returned to Washinton.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #6: December 29, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »
I hope to drive down for this. Reminds me of the Nats Fest, which the Washington Baseball Historical Society during the "long road trip" before baseball returned to Washinton.

Give us a heads up.

Offline stiffler

« Reply #7: December 29, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
as far as you guys being old the average age for the viewer of the world series was 54 I heard

Offline mitlen

« Reply #8: December 29, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »
as far as you guys being old the average age for the viewer of the world series was 54 I heard

Like we said, "Old."      :)    54 ain't my "average".     

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #9: December 29, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »

Yeah, that's me.

Offline stiffler

me too

Online blue911

A place where I can wear Jade East and not feel out of step

Offline mitlen

A place where I can wear Jade East and not feel out of step

...   or Brut  .... :P

Online welch

Like we said, "Old."      :)    54 ain't my "average".     

Well, '54 is the year I went to my first Nats game!

Offline mitlen

Well, '54 is the year I went to my first Nats game!

Well, '54 was after I was born.    :P    My dad was an Inidans fan and I remember them but I didn't get to my first game 'til later.    My ole man taught me to keep score with the '50s Indians.   

Online welch

Incidentally, "Nats Baseball History / This day in" has their top ten stories of 2013.

- Can anyone read the Sentors' 1968 bat order? It lists the length and weight pf each bat for each player. Hard to read the scan, but it almost looks like Frank Howard swung a 45 ounce bat...which would be astounding. Ruth's bat was about 38 ounces, although Hondo was about 70 pounds heavier than Ruth and six or seven inches taller.

- The Washington all-time hitting records is an eye-opener. Sam Rice and Joe Judge, number one and two in all categories except homers and highest season average. Rice, Judge, and Mickey Vernon all had a lot of doubles.

- Farewell, RIP, Chuck Hinton. He was the first player for the expansion Senators that we could be proud of. Returned to Washington after he retired from MLB, but didn't retire from life. Great guy.

Story at http://dcbaseballhistory.com/2013/12/our-top-ten-popular-stories-in-2013/

Online welch

Well, '54 was after I was born.    :P    My dad was an Inidans fan and I remember them but I didn't get to my first game 'til later.    My ole man taught me to keep score with the '50s Indians.   

Ah...sitting in the left field bleachers keeping score with the other 10 and 11 year-old kids. During a day game, no less. The score-card was about 25 cents; bleacher seat about 75 cents. Learning to keep score seemed more important than learning my multiplication tables.

Offline mitlen

Ah...sitting in the left field bleachers keeping score with the other 10 and 11 year-old kids. During a day game, no less. The score-card was about 25 cents; bleacher seat about 75 cents. Learning to keep score seemed more important than learning my multiplication tables.

I was 14 'til I realized Forbes Field had a PA system.   Until then, I sat in the right field upper deck where there was only noise (popping soda cups, etc.).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Who you calling OLD?

Some aren't guys, either.    ;)

Offline mitlen

Some aren't guys, either.    ;)

I didn't wanna mention that.    :P

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I didn't wanna mention that.    :P

Calsgr8 has been "one of the guys" for so long she forgets sometime.   

:lol:

Online welch

Offline mitlen

As a kid, the tallest building in downtown (dahntahn) was the Gulf Building.   Must have been in 7th grade (or so) and from the observation deck, I took a picture of the Civic Arena under construction.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Phil Wood and Mike Wallace hosting?  I bet Sal was the first to register :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Wish they would do these things here in VA where most of the fans live. I'd want to ask about the negative impact of the MASN contact and how the Nats can get out of it.