Author Topic: CAPS Week 14: Jan 1 - Jan 6  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
CAPS Week 14: Jan 1 - Jan 6
« Topic Start: January 01, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
This Thread Dedicated to the Following Games:

Jan 1st  vs. Phoenix Coyotes
Jan 4th vs. Montreal Canadiens
Jan 6th vs. Atlanta Thrashers

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #1: January 01, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »
Caps Ring in New Year with Coyotes at Verizon
Jan. 1 vs. Phoenix Coyotes at Verizon Center
Time: 2:00 pm
TV: CSN
Radio:  WTEM 980 AM

Phoenix Coyotes (15-20-2)
Washington Capitals (16-16-7)

Washington hosts the Phoenix Coyotes in the team?s traditional New Year?s Eve matinee contest on Monday at Verizon Center. Face-off is at 2 p.m. The game not only rings in the New Year, it also opens a four-game homestand for Washington.

The Caps come into Monday?s game having dropped four straight games in regulation, their longest such streak since Feb. 4-11, 2006. The four losses came in a span of just five days, and while a stomach virus coursed its way through the Washington locker room. The Caps have slipped back to the break-even level for the first time since the start of December.

The Capitals enjoyed an off day on Sunday, a rare treat during a recent stretch in which they played five sets of back-to-back games in just 23 days. The Caps will play only one set of back-to-backs in the next 34 days and their next five sets on contests on consecutive dates are spread out over a span of 70 days.

Washington will be without veteran winger Donald Brashear, who was handed a one-game suspension for punching New York defenseman Aaron Ward in Saturday?s 4-1 loss to the Rangers at Madison Square Garden. Brashear will sit out Monday?s game with Phoenix, but will be eligible to return on Thursday when Washington entertains Montreal.

The Capitals should be back at relatively full strength for the Phoenix game. The players who were taken ill should be back in the lineup on Monday, but the Caps are still without injured defensemen John Erskine and Bryan Muir and injured forwards Matt Bradley and Richard Zednik.

Washington?s power play ranks 19th in the league with a conversion rate of 16.7%. The Capitals are 20th in the NHL in penalty killing with a success rate of 81.4%.

After a 7-15 start to the 2006-07 season, the Coyotes are a respectable 8-5-2 since. They?ve picked up at least a point in four straight, going 3-0-1. Monday?s game in Washington starts a five-game, nine-day road trip for Phoenix. The Coyotes? 4-12-1 road record is second worst in the NHL.

Phoenix comes into town on the heels of an 8-0 home ice beatdown over the San Jose Sharks on Saturday night. Veteran netminder Curtis Joseph picked up his 48th career shutout in that game, and ran his career record against the Sharks to 34-9-1. The 34 wins over a single opponent is tied with New Jersey?s Martin Brodeur (34 wins over the Rangers) for most against any one club by an active netminder.

Veteran forward Jeremy Roenick hung a hat trick on San Jose in Saturday night?s win, ending a career-long 22-game goal scoring drought in the process. Roenick?s longest prior drought was a 13-game skid to start the 1989-90 season.

Special teams have been extremely troublesome for Phoenix this season. The Coyotes have scored on just 13.4% of their power play chances this season, the second worst rate in the NHL. Phoenix?s penalty killing unit ranks third from the bottom in the NHL with a kill rate of 77.8%.

Notes: Phoenix has visited Washington previously on New Year?s Day. The Coyotes took a 2-1 overtime decision from the Caps on Jan. 1, 2003. Washington outshot the Desert Dogs 32-14 in that game, but lost on Tony Amonte?s goal at 1:20 of the extra session. The only Coyotes remaining on the roster who played in that game are Ladislav Nagy and Shane Doan. The three remaining Caps are Dainius Zubrus, Brian Sutherby and Olie Kolzig.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #2: January 01, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »
Apologize for being a little late on this one...was distracted by the Gator bowl and discombobulated because of the early start.   3-2 Coyotes at the end of the second period.   :roll:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #3: January 01, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »
FINAL at VERIZON CENTER

Phoenix 3
Washington 2

Nolan's goal, assist in first period send Coyotes to win
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Owen Nolan had a goal and an assist in Phoenix's three-goal first period, and the Coyotes beat the struggling Washington Capitals 3-2 Monday for their third straight win.

Mikael Tellqvist made 30 saves for Phoenix, which has won four of its last five after struggling throughout the first half of the season.

The Capitals scored once during seven power plays. They've lost five straight and seven of eight.

The Coyotes have been looking for more punch on offense all season, especially on the power play. Phoenix entered the game ranked 29th in the NHL on the power play but scored twice in five chances.

Both goals came in the first period and helped the Coyotes take a 3-1 lead after one.

Nolan gave Phoenix an early 1-0 lead with a power-play goal 2:02 into the game, but Brian Pothier's power-play goal tied it for Washington with 6:17 left in the period. It was the defenseman's first goal as a Capital and ended a streak of 51 games without a goal.

Keith Ballard broke the tie when he took a Nolan pass and fired a wrist shot past Washington goalie Olie Kolzig for a 2-1 lead with 3:04 left. Shane Doan added the Coyotes' second extra-man goal of the period with 14.1 seconds remaining.

Brian Sutherby cut the lead to 3-2 midway through the second period on a shot from the left circle for the Caps.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #4: January 01, 2007, 06:39:33 PM »
^^^One guy in an Isles jersey and a lady sleeping. Dedicated fans I see  :P

Tough week for the caps, especially after dropping the first one. Good luck.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: January 01, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »
CRAP

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #6: January 01, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
CRAP
I agree.  :?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: January 01, 2007, 10:33:16 PM »
The Coyotes are so much less than the sum of their parts, it's sad.  OK, they won tonight due to some sloppy D (and one exceedingly poor call), but here you have a team where your coach is none other than GOD and your third line's worst player is Oleg Saprykin (who helped carry the Calgary Flames to the '04 finals), and you are still last in the West.  They can bench fricking Jeremy Roenick as a healthy scratch for a month, they are so deep...and they are still in last place.  Caps lost today, but the Coyotes should have won by 5 on the basis of sticker value alone  :P

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: January 01, 2007, 11:48:09 PM »
We totally dominated them after the 1st period. That tripping call on Zubby was bs, the guy literally jumped when the stick hit him.

Rough stretch. they need to get hot again.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: January 03, 2007, 06:37:58 PM »
Something to hold you over until the game on Thursday...

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #10: January 03, 2007, 10:48:51 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Something to hold you over until the game on Thursday...

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Lol, I like the one with Thornton alot (when he's trying to butter his toast) As well as the one with Richards and Lecavilier I believe when they are playing each other in NHL 07. Now if only the NHL would show these commercials during something other than hockey games, ratings might just go up  :roll:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: January 04, 2007, 08:19:52 AM »
I think Ted should be renamed Tan.  He's bronzy.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #12: January 04, 2007, 08:27:40 AM »
Caps Hit Halfway Point vs. Habs
Jan. 4 vs. Montreal Canadiens at Verizon Center
Time: 7:00 pm
TV: CSN
Radio:  WTEM 980 AM

Montreal Canadiens (23-11-5)
Washington Capitals[/b][/color] (16-7-7)

Just over a week after they made their first visit to Verizon Center in 2006-07, the Montreal Canadiens return to the District for their second and final road tilt with the Capitals this season. Thursday?s game against the Habs brings the Caps to the exact midway point of the regular season.

With a home ice win over Montreal on Thursday, the Capitals can climb back to the break-even point at the midway mark of the campaign. Last season, the Capitals were 13-23-5 at the halfway point of the slate.

Washington had hit a high-water mark of five games above break-even for this season on Dec. 16 with a win over Philadelphia. The Caps have dropped seven of eight games since, falling below .500 for the first time since Nov. 25 in the process.

Had the Caps been able to maintain that pace of five games above .500 to the midpoint of the season, they would have had the best first-half record of any Capitals team in 15 years. The 1991-92 team was 26-13-1 at the halfway mark, the only Washington team more than four games over .500 at the stage of the season between then and now.

When the Capitals last made the playoffs in 2002-03, they posted 43 first half points and 49 in the second half for a total of 92. This season?s Caps have been stuck on 39, and they?ve set a full season goal of 94 points for themselves.

The Caps come into Thursday?s game bearing a five-game losing streak, the team?s first stretch of five games without a point since Mar. 8-16, 2004. Most recently, the Capitals suffered a 3-2 New Year?s Day setback to the Phoenix Coyotes. The Caps surrendered three first-period goals in that game, including two power play strikes, before buckling down the defense for the remainder of the contest.

The Caps will have former Habs winger Donald Brashear back in the lineup on Thursday. Brashear was suspended for a game for slugging New York Rangers defenseman Aaron Ward in a Dec. 30 contest at Madison Square Garden.

Montreal downed the Capitals 4-1 on Dec. 27, the second loss in Washington?s current five-game losing streak. The Habs have won one of three games since, losing a pair of 3-1 road decisions in Florida and Tampa Bay, respectively, before returning home to take a 5-2 decision from the Lightning on Tuesday night.

The Caps? power play has been successful on 16.7% of its chances this season, the 19th best percentage in the NHL. Washington is just 3-for-30 (10%) with the extra man in its last five games. One of those three goals came while the Caps enjoyed a two-man advantage.

Washington is 20th in the NHL in penalty killing efficiency with a rate of 80.9%. The Caps have killed 19 of 25 (76%) opposition power plays in their last five games.

Montreal has won seven of its last 10 games, and is firmly in second place in the NHL?s Northeast Division. The Canadiens trail front running Buffalo by 10 points and have a five-point cushion over third-place Ottawa.

Netminder Cristobal Huet has started five straight games for the Habs, the longest streak of starts for either Canadiens goaltender this season. Huet is 2-3 during those five starts with a 2.64 goals against average and a .916 save pct.

The Canadiens feature the league?s top power play unit with a 22.9% rate of efficiency. Montreal has clicked on only two of 16 chances (12.5%) with the extra man in its last five games.

The Habs also boast the NHL?s best penalty killing corps with a kill rate of 88%. Montreal has snuffed out 23 of 27 (85.2%) opposing power plays in its last five games.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #13: January 04, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »
Please win tonight Caps, you are long overdue.  :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: January 04, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
So far so good: 2-1 Caps at the end of the 1st period.  :pray:

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #15: January 04, 2007, 07:50:09 PM »
My thread was deleted...:(

My prediction stands, though:

Montreal Canadiens 3 Washington Capitals 2

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #16: January 04, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »
no worries Vlad...you're welcome here - even if you ARE a HabsAss.   :P

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #17: January 04, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
Ahh...this game is looking bad.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #18: January 04, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »
Quote from: "Vladman1327"
What do you mean?   :P

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #19: January 04, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »
I guess I am glad you deleted my thread.  It will save me of some humiliation.  :(

And on that note, I think I will go play my xbox.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #20: January 04, 2007, 08:21:45 PM »
Quote from: "Vladman1327"
What do you mean?   :P

SOCLE BLUR!  It's 4-1 Cepetols!   :lol:

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #21: January 04, 2007, 08:22:34 PM »
One last thing before I go...you guys have a player named Semin...:D

Dee dee dee..

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #22: January 04, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »
Well, congrats, I suppose.  I can't wait for baseball season when we can all root for the same team - except those damn fans of other team on our board.  ;)

I joke, I joke.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #23: January 04, 2007, 09:49:35 PM »

Canada is the freakin greatest country in the world.

It's really too bad their hockey team sucks though  :wink:

« Reply #24: January 04, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"

Canada is the freakin greatest country in the world.

It's really too bad their hockey team sucks though  :wink:
I think Japan says the same thing about the USA.

Its just too bad our WBC team sucks though.  :wink:

:lol: