16 (13.4%)
One of the best in MLB
45 (37.8%)
I'm a moran and I don't like Charlie and Dave
4 (3.4%)
They're just ok
9 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler  (Read 51838 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler
« Topic Start: April 10, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »
I love Charlie and Dave, I think they are the best in the MLB and probably any sports radio team.  I thought I'd start a thread to keep track of the funny exchanges, great calls, etc.  I'll start off with these two complete with clips!

Hu's pinch hit 04/08/2011

Morse gets a new bat from the bat boy man 04/09/2011

Ump gets hit

Charlie and Dave and Bill

Offline Nathan

Re: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler
« Reply #1: April 10, 2011, 02:16:18 AM »
And this great one from tonight.

Charlie doesn't like pom-poms

Dave:  "...Good night for that give-away."

Charlie:  "...Blue and orange.  Don't know about the blue and orange pom-pom, though, Dave."

Dave:  "So you don't like the pom-pom look on the winter cap?"

Charlie:  "Would you wear one with a pom-pom Dave?"

Dave:  "No.  Certainly not a Mets one."

Charlie:  "The defense rests."

Charlie:  "Still two balls and two strikes.  No..... I am not a fan of the pom-pom."

Dave:  "Especially the orange and blue."

Charlie:  "Any pom-pom.... If that's what you call it."

They just work so well together, play off one another, I love listening to them call the game every night.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch, but I'd be trying to find a way to have Charlie and Dave as the audio.

Online DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: April 10, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »
They just work so well together, play off one another, I love listening to them call the game every night.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather watch, but I'd be trying to find a way to have Charlie and Dave as the audio.
In this vein, can't you overlay the radio with the video on MLB.TV?  anyone with it this year know how this works?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #3: April 10, 2011, 02:30:29 AM »
I have read that.  It doesn't work within the archives at any rate, you can go audio only, but not sync them.  Maybe it is only for live broadcasts and not archives, ormaybe it's only in certain locations / for certain games.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: April 10, 2011, 04:09:19 AM »
I like Charlie and Dave. The Chin-lung Hu exchange was hilarious ("Would they boo Hu's debut?") However, I listened to a Rays broadcast last week and they had me in absolute stitches the entire game. The only quote I wrote down was

"The first person ever to throw out a ceremonial first pitch for the Angels, in 1961, was Ty Cobb!"
"Wow."
"...... he was unavailable this year."

I have to give Charlie bonus points, because despite having a slightly pinched voice, he does have that Cadillac ad where he says "Mike Rizzo did it in the clubhouse, and I did it right here in the broadcast booth," which I deliberately interpret as innuendo every time.

I haven't listened to radio games that much, so this still confuses me: why do I hear the crack of the bat before Charlie says "Here's the wind-up, delivers..."?

Since my game interaction consists of radio nowadays, I'll be posting here a lot. :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #5: April 10, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »

How did you pull of recording this?

I love Charlie and Dave, I think they are the best in the MLB and probably any sports radio team.  I thought I'd start a thread to keep track of the funny exchanges, great calls, etc.  I'll start off with these two complete with clips!

Hu's pinch hit 04/08/2011

Morse gets a new bat from the bat boy man 04/09/2011

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #6: April 10, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
best team in sports

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #7: April 10, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
they're so good, they don't go around bootlicking the Lerners and the org. by repeating the front office's PR lines, it's too bad the rest of the broadcast team doesn't follow their example

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: April 10, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
please find a clip of when Pudge came up to bat for the first time this past Wednesday (top of the 2nd).  They just quietly went on and on about Pudge's propensity to hit into double plays, relaying statistic after statistic until he hit into a fielder's choice.  It was awesome.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #9: April 10, 2011, 11:14:10 AM »
Love these guys, been pimping them since day 1

SO MANY GREAT MOMENTS

One of my all time favorite is when Charlie was talking about the psychotic Ice Cream Parlor owner he use to work for. Impossibly hilarious

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #10: April 10, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
I put best in MLB.  Although I like Vin Scully too.

For Hockey I like Beninati and McLaughlin.   Btw.  There's a Facebook page to get Beninati back on NBC and Versus.   Hate Don Cherry!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #11: April 10, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »
They are quite good. I enjoy listening to them but I won't be a homer and say they are the best ever. I decided to vote "moran" (that is Baron Moran to you) as there was no option for me.

Back to the circus seal horn act impersonations. :smh:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: April 10, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »
When Ivan Rodriguez had his 2 RBI single, he did so immediately after Dave said, "If he doesn't ground into a double play here..."

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #13: April 10, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
I think we're very lucky to have them.  Have you ever listened to John and Suzyn on the Yankees broadcasts?  They're okay, but there's no chemistry between them at all and it's tough to listen to them.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #14: April 10, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
I would not want to risk tampering with Charlie and Dave.

The measure of a great announcers though is how they are perceived by other team's fans and with enough time, history. It is nearly impossible to get an objective read of them while navel gazing in our own forum.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #15: April 10, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
They used to Dance whenever Nieves music came on.  I miss that!  I wonder if they'll use anyone elses music to dance to!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #16: April 10, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
How did you pull of recording this?

Gameday Audio archives + Audio Hijack Pro on the Mac.

They are quite good. I enjoy listening to them but I won't be a homer and say they are the best ever. I decided to vote "moran" (that is Baron Moran to you) as there was no option for me.

Back to the circus seal horn act impersonations. :smh:

You wouldn't even rate them as one of the best in the MLB?  So you think the are mediocre?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #17: April 10, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
I would not want to risk tampering with Charlie and Dave.

The measure of a great announcers though is how they are perceived by other team's fans and with enough time, history. It is nearly impossible to get an objective read of them while navel gazing in our own forum.

LOL I don't think anyone here has any problem saying that someone in the Nats organization sucks. I travel all the time for my work and listen to out of town broadcasters all the time. Charlie and Dave are one of the very best bar none

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #18: April 10, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »
Charlie and Dave are pure awesome

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #19: April 10, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »
They are very good and perhaps great but I do not regularly listen to the rest of the teams announcers to objectively call them the best. Let alone enough broadcasters for sports in general compare them objectoively. I am skeptical anyone else does either.

No offense Nathan but the options of the 'best' or 'don't like' isn't exactly an objective poll.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #20: April 10, 2011, 09:16:52 PM »
Fine, I added an option just for you, Obed :razz:

:D

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #21: April 11, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
I remember Charlie Slowes from his days doing Bullets play-by-play in the late 80's/early 90's - he could say 'Jeff Malone' in two syllables without slurring. He and Jageler remain a top-drawer duo today.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #22: April 11, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »
Ha, ha, ha, Nathan. :D I am holding out until there is a "Quite good, I prefer them to the others I have listened." option.

Your friend,

Chief "Moran" and poll critic. :razz: ;) :D

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #23: April 11, 2011, 12:33:20 PM »
They rock. Does any one else have a hard time telling their voices apart or is that my personal affliction?

Offline RL04

« Reply #24: April 11, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
How awesome are Charlie and Dave?

Who?
I'm guessing these are the radio guys?
I've never listened to a Nats game on the radio.

Wish they's do it like the Mets did when I was a kid ...  Kiner, Nelson and Murphy would all rotate between TV and radio during a game.   Got to know them all.